Animal Planet Dogs 101: Basenji Video Clip

• @curlytails:

Question – is it an exaggeration to say the breed was almost "wiped out" by Fanconi in the '80's?

@sinbaje:

While I loved the dogs featured I have to ask - where DO they get their information? Lion hunters? Wiped out by fanconi? Bond to only two members?

So informative, I never knew they hunted lions, were nearly wiped out by Fanconi, only bond to a couple of people, are for fastidious owners (which means you don't want hair but don't mind the contents of your trash cans, furniture and other things shredded), and not vocal as other animals (I guess screaming so the police come thinking you are killing a child doesn't count?). And they do their own grooming. (So why do I have to brush teeth, cut nails, wipe off pollen, clean ears????) Sigh.

But cute to watch the dogs.

• I like your comments DebradownSouth - what a laugh!

• How many of you out there have already received inquires as a result of people watching this show? I have received about 3 or 4 already. And mostly everyone's comments that they are now interested in this dog because of "being quiet"… NOT... "being calm" NOT..... etc... .... Since my two girls are pretty good about being vocal when I am on the phone... I just stick the phone out and say... take a good listen, not exactly mute or calm as they come crashing through the doggy door make a lap around the family room, up the stairs, scrambling across the hard wood floor and back out the doggy door for another lap around the yard...

• I have received more inquires about Bambi, my rescue girl up for adoption. Only one was from someone who presently owns Bs. I forgot that the show was broadcast and the increased inquiries are probably due to this. I did tell one to go this website to learn more about Bs.

I think people also need to go to a website that has a B or more than one B yodeling. Mine are loud when they yodel!

When did this show air?

When I lived in Houston, a lot of people would ask me about Bs and the first thing I would say is that they are hounds and are hunting dogs and they should never be off leash in an unfenced area. I said you would not be able to catch them if they ran off to chase something. Many of these people lived in apartments and/or condos and they wanted a dog they could let out the door to use the bathroom and call back. Definitely not a B! I think they liked the size of a B since many apartments have a weight limit, usually 20-25 lbs. or less.

Jennifer

• It aired last Saturday (October 2nd)

• @dcmclcm4:

Many of these people lived in apartments and/or condos and they wanted a dog they could let out the door to use the bathroom and call back. Definitely not a B! I think they liked the size of a B since many apartments have a weight limit, usually 20-25 lbs. or less.

Jennifer

IMO, NO dog should just be let out and then called back. For the dog's safety and to avoid annoying neighbors, EVERY dog should be leashed or fenced.
    But…. you know, that may just be me.

But I get your point about definitely they are not looking for a Basenji!

• @JazzysMom:

IMO, NO dog should just be let out and then called back. For the dog's safety and to avoid annoying neighbors, EVERY dog should be leashed or fenced.
    But…. you know, that may just be me.

But I get your point about definitely they are not looking for a Basenji!

And I totally agree with you!

• Me too.

and I also wonder how these films can be a blessing as well as a boon for breeders? I do know that we have a major problem here in Border Collie Rescue which initially arose after the television series of Sheepdog trials. So many thought what a wonderful pet such clever dogs would be!

Suggested Topics