• welcome, and thank you for sharing your interesting live with us. I hope your cat has a lot more good time with you.

• @Segbwema:

Thanks, Robyn. Is Mary Lou on the forum? I was wondering if she still is breeding? The last time I talked to her was after Belle died.

Merry

As far as I know, Mary Lou is not on this forum. Mary Lou's health no longer allows for her to raise puppies so she is down to only having two dogs in her home, a spayed female and a male.

• Welcome to the forum , Merry. I enjoyed reading your introductory post.

• @thunderbird8588:

Welcome to the forum , Merry. I enjoyed reading your introductory post.

Love England. Stayed with Marvin and Sally Wallis during a visit about ten years ago. Loved the way their bs hovered around the Aga.

My husband and I once spent two weeks driving across the south from Dover to Penzance. Stayed in B&Bs and kept to the little village roads as much as possible. Stopped to see gardens and a few stately homes, but mostly enjoyed village churches and walks through the streets.

Nice to meet you.

• Welcome to the forum - you certainly lead an interesting life! The pictures of the cats and Bs are lovely. I too am a long time Basenji owner. Did you visit shows when you stayed with Sally? I may have met you. Sally is a friend (of course) - we all used to know each other in Basenjis (but things are changing!) and Sally and I share some of the same opinions on the breed. I live on the Welsh border so live far away from Sally and the area you visited.

• From an early message @Segbwema:

Here are a few photos of Kenset's Liberty Belle and the cats (Zaki and Java together, and Angelfire, our current Aby). Need to scan photos of other Bs.

The last photo is Segbwema, the village I lived in for two years in Sierra Leone. The large white building in the background is PZ's warehouse and I lived on the top floor with the long verandas. Most nights I would sit out on the veranda with friends and watch the cattle egrets fly into the huge cotton tree across the street as we ate goundnuts (Americans call them peanuts) and drank Star beer (Heinikin). Joe, my basenji, loved to eat groundnuts. His regular meals were the same as mine– lots of rice, palm oil and fish with some greens (potato leaf or cassava leaf).

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Great to be here. Here are some more photos.

Only Bs missing are Tanya and Baji, my first Bs, and the photos I have of them are in pretty sad shape due to a flood in our basement in the 70s.
    JOE**
    Joe was my basenjish dog I had as a Peace Corps volunteer in Segbwema, Sierra Leone in 1977-79. In one he is hanging over the balcony wanting to follow me to school and the other he is being groomed by my flat-mate's cat. More about him in that first message.
    BINTA & CHEKA**
    The first one was taken the day we picked up Binta from Sally Wournos (Sonbar) at a show in Racine. 1982 I think.

In the second one Binta and Cheka are waiting to get in our boat at Lake Yellowwood in Indiana . Circa 1984.

BELLE was my last basenji. Posted a photo of her in my first message in the thread and am going to use the head shot below as my avatar.

First photo is at Mary Lou Kenworthy's the day Zaki and Java met Belle for the first time. Must have been 1998.

Also posted a photo my Aby cat, Angelfire, currently the only animal in our house and not doing too well because of kidney disease. She is the sweetest animal ever.

Brings back wonderful memories to fish out these old photos.

Merry

attachment_p_118694_0_sierra-leone-rooftop-photo-of-merrys-dog-001.jpg
    attachment_p_118694_1_sierra-leone-dog-and-cat-on-roof-001.jpg
    attachment_p_118694_2_racine-wisconsin-14-aug-1983-merry-and-binta-001.jpg
    attachment_p_118694_3_bloomington-lake-photo-with-binta-and-cheka-001-2.jpg
    attachment_p_118694_4_belle-and-cat-in-car-23-aug-1997-001.jpg
    attachment_p_118694_5_img_0072.jpg
    attachment_p_118694_6_cat1.jpg

• Merry,

Welcome to the forum! We are "rookies" at having had Basenjis in our lives just under a dozen years (our girl Vi turned 12 earlier this month) but look forward to each one's special personality and presence!

Regards,
    Elaine

• Thank you for posting your very interesting pictures. They are lovely. I am still getting round to posting pictures but hadn't even thought about the way to post old photos of which I have loads. Deary me I am really a non tech!!

• Wow!! I got my first basenji in 1969 from the Humane Society for $3 dollars (sorry to those who've heard that before). Love hearing about your adventures with B's because I don't have any stories to match yours!!

• I just joined. Loved your stories and sharing of your pictures. How fun!

Suggested Topics