Basenji in Shelter in Rome, GA

• I just saw this on another list. There is a young basenji in a shelter in Rome, GA.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16840849

I don't know how easy it will be for BRAT to get either since this shelter has apparently adopted new rescue guidelines which require a rescue to be approved before being able to take an animal from the shelter.

http://www.romefloyd.com/CitizenSafety/AnimalControl/RescueGroups/tabid/451/Default.aspx

• I did send this info to BRAT..maybe they will adopt him instead of killing him.
    Lets hope.

• @lvoss:

I just saw this on another list. There is a young basenji in a shelter in Rome, GA.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16840849

I don't know how easy it will be for BRAT to get either since this shelter has apparently adopted new rescue guidelines which require a rescue to be approved before being able to take an animal from the shelter.

http://www.romefloyd.com/CitizenSafety/AnimalControl/RescueGroups/tabid/451/Default.aspx

BRAT is already onto it. There are 6 very high mixes in this shelter, 4 males and 2 females. I have some pictures. All are due to be euthanized on Tuesday.
    -Joanne

• What is so frustrating is that they are not even available for adoption until Monday and because they do all euthanasias on Tuesday they are only giving them 24 hours to be adopted.

• Sadly, some of the southern shelters are like that…just move them through...
    That is why some of the rescue folks from up north go down to these types of shelters and
    take the dogs back up to the areas where they will have more time.

• My heart bleeds for these poor little souls - I can't but help wish bad things to happen to their breders!

"The more I see of people, the more I love my dog"

• Quality breeders take their dogs back, volume breeders, even if they show, can't.
    We need to have quality breeders, to make the b's we love even more healthy then they are now.
    Sadly, we can't make someone do the right thing. Either when placing a dog, or making sure they fix the puppies they sell, BEFORE placement. this is a BIG debate, in many circles, and I agree there might be some health issues BUT these dogs won't get pg and they won't litter. No "oops" litters from folks who should know better…and not just one or 2 but every season... No I won't name names, I can think of several.
    Until folks who are educated do the right thing, how can we expect the general public to care???
    Sorry, ranting...I will stop now.

• And it's not the shelter's fault, there is absolutely no thought of owner's spaying or neutering their dogs… the shelter is left to deal with it. Education and some compassion for animals is what's needed.

Having said that, that particular county requires that rescue organizations jump through a bunch of hoops to get approved to pull from their shelter.

At least they don't gas them.
    -Joanne

• It does seem to me that if you have a legit rescue group willing to take a dog who can't be placed, then they should make it a bit easier for them to get the dog….
    Sigh.

• @sharronhurlbut:

It does seem to me that if you have a legit rescue group willing to take a dog who can't be placed, then they should make it a bit easier for them to get the dog….
    Sigh.

I totally agree Sharron

• All 6 pups were pulled from the shelter this morning. They were transported to a vet where, unfortunately, 1 pup tested positive for parvo. They are basically asymptomatic....but that could change quickly. And one can assume they've all got parvo or will soon get it, but hopefully it will be a mild case. Of course now they can't legally leave the state of GA and they were to be fostered in FL. We don't know what is going to happen. This is very sad, and heartbreaking for the girl who has them now.
    -Joanne
    Joanne

• Oh no!!!! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help the foster 😞

• @giza1:

All 6 pups were pulled from the shelter this morning. They were transported to a vet where, unfortunately, 1 pup tested positive for parvo. They are basically asymptomatic....but that could change quickly. And one can assume they've all got parvo or will soon get it, but hopefully it will be a mild case. Of course now they can't legally leave the state of GA and they were to be fostered in FL. We don't know what is going to happen. This is very sad, and heartbreaking for the girl who has them now.
    -Joanne
    Joanne

I just want to say THANK YOU to whoever rescued these lovely pups... I am also from Florida, but was thinking of this thread today and when I didn't find the dogs on Petfinder, I turned here to read the happy news. 😉
    I have some friends that live in Georgia. (There is also Yodeldog on this forum who may help find fosters too.)
    THANKS again, and a big ROOOOO to our forum hero! 🙂 Please contact me if you need any help.

• First Basenji's

Step by step here… and every step counts. I hope the organizational and health issues are cleared up swiftly, and that all these pups will get a chance to know some real human love and a happy home. Thank you all for working against obstacles. Please keep us posted.

• Such a same that they have been exposed to parvo..its so easy to prevent.

• @Patty:

I have some friends that live in Georgia. (There is also Yodeldog on this forum who may help find fosters too.)

Hi Patty. I spent 10 years of my life doing Basenji rescue but I am no longer involved. At this time, I have multiple Basenjis of my own to rehome, no space for additional dogs, an extremely tight financial budget, and am dealing with health issues of my own. There is nothing I can do for those dogs.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Such a same that they have been exposed to parvo..its so easy to prevent.

I do agree with you but it should be mentioned that vaccinations are not a 100% guaranteee that an animal will not acquire a disease. If these pups were vaccinated with parvo vaccine then they may have enough immunity built up to pull through this. If they were never vaccinated the fact that they are older and that it was caught so early still gives them a fighting chance.

Animal shelters are riddled with disease. No matter how thorough they may clean, there will still be a risk. A mistake that most people make is adopting or pulling a dog for rescue from a shelter and then immediately introducing it to the other dogs in the household. This is a huge mistake. All shelter animals should be completely isolated from other pets for a minimum of 7 days to make sure any disease will not be passed along. It must also be mentioned that parvo and other diseases can contaminate your soil or carpet and create a risk for future puppies or dogs that you bring onto your property.

• @giza1:

All 6 pups were pulled from the shelter this morning. They were transported to a vet where, unfortunately, 1 pup tested positive for parvo. They are basically asymptomatic....but that could change quickly. And one can assume they've all got parvo or will soon get it, but hopefully it will be a mild case. Of course now they can't legally leave the state of GA and they were to be fostered in FL. We don't know what is going to happen. This is very sad, and heartbreaking for the girl who has them now.
    -Joanne
    Joanne

I understand that the person caring for these pups is in need of assistance if anyone is interested in sending a donation. The following is a post from another list with the address info for donations at the bottom
    UPDATE: I understand that you can also call the clinic and give a donation over the phone (with a credit card)
    Subject: Erika needs help-Basenjis in GA
    A little history: Erika went to the shelter to pick up 3 legged Shnauzer and saw a kennel full of 6 young Basenjis or Basenji Mixes. After seeing the photos I am certain they are either pure bred/badly bred Basenjis or very high mix Basenjis but it is obvious they are Basenjis. I contacted Andrea at Helping Hands Rescue in FL to see if she could take them in as they have done lots of Basenji Rescue in the past. Andrea agreed to take them and rehome them. Erika agreed to get them from the Shelter. I agreed to help transport them to Andrea. I am rarely home but this is one week I could actually contribute my time.
    July 13: Erika makes arrangements to rescue the dogs from the shelter. She takes them to her vet for health certificates and rabies vaccinations so they can legally cross the state line. The vet believes they are around 10-11 month old littermates. The bad news starts here. They tested positive for Parvo. Since they did not shown any signs of Parvo at the time Erika decided to take them home, give them fluids and treat them the best she can. I am told and it is confirmed that Erika has been a certified Vet Tech for many years. She could NOT bring herself to euthanize them. This wonderful woman has taken it upon herself physically and financially to see if she can pull these Basenji pups through. Because of state laws these dogs must be quarantined where they are. Andrea at Helping hands has agreed to take any and all of the one's that make it through this tragedy and rehome them. I have offered to he lp as much as I can but my hands are tied. All we can do is help her financially at this point.
    If anyone wants to help this wonderful woman, that isn't even a Basenji person, we would like to start a fund for her. Anything would help! I will get the contact information for her Vet so money can be mailed directly to him. I am told that he is doing everything at a huge discount. It seems that people are pulling together from every direction to help her. If you read her email, a fence company is building her a large kennel to house them. Please let's all pull together and help Erika bring these pups through.
    Russella Wilkerson
    Jokuba Basenjs
    Where to send donations
    Gwinnett Animal Clinic
    190 Buford Dr.
    Lawrenceville, GA 770-963-6903
    Account name: Erika Dillingham

• I spoke with Erika about an hour ago, and I can tell you that all of the pups were still alive. They are all symptomatic now with the 2 smallest being the sickest (of course). She has given them a vet prescribed antiemetic, penicillin, and sub Q fluids. It's hot in FL, and she has no place indoors for them but she is doing her best to keep them cool.

Her 8 year old daughter has given them names; they are Peanut, Butter, Jelly, Chocolate, Chip and Cookie. Hmm, she was obviously hungry when she named them!
    -Joanne

• @giza1:

I spoke with Erika about an hour ago, and I can tell you that all of the pups were still alive. They are all symptomatic now with the 2 smallest being the sickest (of course). She has given them a vet prescribed antiemetic, penicillin, and sub Q fluids. It's hot in FL, and she has no place indoors for them but she is doing her best to keep them cool.

Her 8 year old daughter has given them names; they are Peanut, Butter, Jelly, Chocolate, Chip and Cookie. Hmm, she was obviously hungry when she named them!
    -Joanne

Or hoping that they get "hungry"!!

Suggested Topics