Basenji in Shelter in Rome, GA

• Erika is a wonderful person for taking these b's in.
    I so hope we get a good report soon.

• @YodelDogs:

Hi Patty. I spent 10 years of my life doing Basenji rescue but I am no longer involved. At this time, I have multiple Basenjis of my own to rehome, no space for additional dogs, an extremely tight financial budget, and am dealing with health issues of my own. There is nothing I can do for those dogs.

Hi Robyn,

I shouldn't have spoken out of turn, but there IS something you can do for these dogs, as you demonstrated in your very next post. 🙂

You have such a wonderful knowledge of dogs and basenjis in particular! I didn't mean to imply that someone could drop off the dogs at your home, but I was thinking that you probably know many people or organizations and could point Erica in that direction. :o

Thanks for letting me clear that up…

P.S. Do you still have beautiful Jozie? :p

• If mailing a check in, need to get the correct zip code off of the clinic's website, I think it is 30045.

• I just read on facebook that the sickest of these puppies has passed on.

• Unfortunately, one did die, it was Peanut, one of the females. 😞 Erika was with her, stroking her head when she died. I got an e-mail this morning saying that the others are doing well except that now one of them is sneezing.
    -Joanne

• I went to visit Erika and the GA rescue Basenjis today. As I entered the backyard I was greeted by very familiar Basenji sounds. The pups were in a small kennel run inside the fenced back yard. Due to the parvo quarantine I was not able to enter the enclosure nor to handle the dogs.

All 5 pups seemed curious about me and approached the front of the enclosure. Some were leaning into the fence and wagging their tails slowly as if hoping for some petting. Others checked me out then lay down. There were two distinct types leading me to believe that this is one litter with 2 different sires or, more likely, two different litters. I estimate their ages to be between 6 and 8 months, leaning towards the latter.

Chocolate (F) and Chip (M) are the two larger pups. They are slightly larger than average in size with heavy bone. Their body type is heavier and coarser than what you would normally see in the show ring. Their heads are atypical due to their ears being low set and not fully erect. Though a bit large, when the ears are physically held into place, the heads become typical of a (poorly bred) Basenji.

Jelly (F), Butter (F), and Cookie (M) are smaller than average and refinely built. Their body type is very Basenji. Their ears are set a bit low and are not completely erect. (The ears of two pups are more erect than the third.) When physically held into place the head becomes typical of the breed.

All 5 have loose curls in their tails. Both males have 2 (small) testicles when sitting or standing. When Erika lifted Chip, one testicle retracted. When she lifted Cookie, both of his testicles retracted. Color and markings typical of the breed though Jelly does have some black sabling in her coat. All pups have dewclaws and their toenails have not been trimmed in some time.

Although I can't explain the ears, everything else about these dogs says "Basenji".

Despite feeling bad from the parvo, all 5 pups appear to have friendly dispositions. None of them gave Erika any problems handling them in any way. They behave like typical Basenji puppies chewing on everything they can get their mouths on and climbing the crates inside the pen.

These pups were obviously well fed and socialized prior to being picked up by animal control. Could they be unsold BYB pups that simply escaped and no one came looking for? I guess we will never know.

The pups must remain in quarantine until they are all free of parvo. The enclosure that they are in is too small and Erika needs some help with this. Something portable such as a 10' x 10' x 6' kennel run would be ideal. If anyone can help her obtain something like this it sure would help a lot. She is located in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

• I read that they are starting to have solid poops…YEA!!!!!!!!!

• Oh what dog people won't get excited about! 😉
    -Joanne

• Exactly, my husband hates to go out to dinner with my dog rescue friends, because sooner or later, the talk turns to food, then to poop.
    The other dinners are horrified, we are all talking and trying to one up each other, and Lou just slips lower and lower under the table.
    Course, the topic is so odd to the servers, we always have good service.
    Laugh.
    Oh, if you really want the helps interest, bring in a book on Scat, a visual book on what you can find in the woods and what animals left it…
    Sorry, we live in the PNW, and all of this seems to interest us!

• Poop is an important subject because it can be the first sign of a health problem.

We live in a very rural area and when I go to see my friends 'in the big city' talk often turns to the subject!! Oh yes and mating habits!! Conversation on the train ceases when our talk turns that way!!!

• Same with zookeepers….common table conversation can turn most people's stomach 😉

• Robyn,
    THANK YOU for the update! Do you have any leads on the needed kennel? I have several friends near Atlanta that may be able to help out… another thought: do you think the Atlanta news station would carry the story? 😉

I am so glad you are dedicated to these lovely dogs.
    Patty.

Suggested Topics