• I am new here and looking for a Basenji in the SoCal area. Any suggestions? I have grown up with large dogs such as German Shepards, Retreiver mixes and a German Short hair. I am familiar with the needs and demands of a Basenji.

• Medfly Basenji Rescue has many basenjis needing new homes. Their website is http://www.basenjirescue.com They have more dogs than are listed so it is always best to contact them to see what dogs they actually have.

If you are looking for a puppy then try the BCOA breeder directory, http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/BreederDirectory.htm

• Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

• 2.5 years ago my gf and I spent a whole weekend visiting breeders in Southern California. We visited 4 breeders and thoroughly enjoyed the company, humor and extensive knowledge they were so willing to offer.
    I had been researching for a month, but I learned so much just being around the dogs. I highly recommend this. Bring the whole family, everyone has to be on board. Stick with BCOA breeders. They're all listed in that link above. Be wary of BYB's, because there are some in socal. Good luck!

• Quality breeders have wonderful dogs and you have a friend for life.
    If you would like to consider rescue, please check www.basenjirescue.org
    We just took in a lot of dogs and puppies in Fl. I know of one puppy who is going to be flown to Ca.
    So that is also another way to go.
    BUT whatever way you decide, you will get lots of help here.

• Thank you everybody for the warm welcome. I am not opposed to a rescue its just that I have three young boys and feel that the dog would adjust better if it was a puppy to start. Do you think I am correct about this? I am just concerned that with a rescue I may not fully know its history. πŸ˜•

• @conan1911:

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome. I am not opposed to a rescue its just that I have three young boys and feel that the dog would adjust better if it was a puppy to start. Do you think I am correct about this? I am just concerned that with a rescue I may not fully know its history. πŸ˜•

I generally always recommend rescue to people who are very particular of how the dog needs to behave (such as with kids, other pets etc) because if you rescue an Adult dog, you will know what their temperment is and how they get along with other creatures. A reputable rescue will take a few months to learn the dog and their behaviour and work to find the best suitable home possible. Puppies are really cute but a lot of work (like having another kid!) and although exposure and socialization at a young age is important to their development, it does not guarentee their adult temperment.
    πŸ™‚ Good luck in your search, Ive also just started my search!

• Welcome to the basenji forum - it is great to have you on board. We look forward to hearing lots about you, your family and your new basenji.

Suggested Topics