• Hello, Im Kieren, I am 18 years old and from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.

I absolutely love the Basenji. My parents have wanted one for years.
    We have now decided to take the plunge into Basenji Ownership, But are finding it extremely difficult to find puppies/Breeders in the United Kingdom.
    Can anyone help please?

Had a quick scan through a few topics and must say you all seem very helpful and knowledgeable (Y)

Excellent Forum, Keep up the good work.

• Houston

Welcome onboard Kieren and fellow family members..
    I can't help you with uk breeders but would think there should be some type of Basenji club in UK that could direct you..if not I am sure your fellow UK members will chime in and help you..again, Welcome.

• First Basenji's

Hi! Welcome to the forum!
    I'm with Basenjimama since I'm also from the US, but I did a Google search and came up with the Basenji Club of Great Britain

http://www.basenjiclubofgb.org/basenjis.shtml

and also the Northern Basenji Society

http://www.northernbasenji.org.uk/

Both have breeder directories that might help. Hopefully these are the right clubs and websites, but if not, I'm sure someone on the forums from the UK will give you the correct place to go.

Good luck!

• Welcome to the forum! There are some breeders from the UK on this forum, so they can probably help you out!

• Hi There Kizza,

Im from Tewkesbury (down sarf lol) and got my first basenji last year. They are the most fantastic breed, i just adore my girl.

As you probably know, most of them only come into season once a year so the majority of pups are born and in new homes by now. There may be a couple of litters in the spring though. It is definately worth going along to some shows (crufts would be the best idea!) to have a chat to some breeders as most of the people who breed basenjis do show them as well. Have a look at the dogs, see what type you like, and then chat to the breeders about going on their waiting list πŸ™‚

The basenji clubs are a good place to start as they may know of any pups that are currently available (i dont know if there are at the moment tbh..) but definately come along to some shows and meet everyone! πŸ˜ƒ

• Hi Kizza, welcome to the forum:D

I'll echo what Maya has said about going along to some shows and speak to the breeders:D

• Welcome to the forum Kieran, i joined the forum last year after we lost our Basenji, Benji.
    When i felt ready i asked the same question as you about finding a breeder and was advised to go to a few shows to meet the Dogs and their owners. We met up with a breeder and went on her waiting list. It has been a very long wait but we are finaly getting our Pup in approx 2 weeks.
    There are some good breeders in the Uk but like others don't know if anyone has any Pups available.
    Crystal has provided you with two good links to clubs, have a look around on those sites and you will get others links to clubs and also breeders.
    Good luck with your search and meanwhile find out all you can about this wonderful but challenging breed, they are not for the faint hearted πŸ˜ƒ

• Welcome Kieran. In anticipation of becoming owned by a basenji, be prepared to laugh and cry and have your heart stolen - sometimes all in one day :). Others have already given you some tips but also be aware that basenjis only breed once a year so you might have a bit of a wait before you actually find one to take home.

• Hi There Kizza,

Im from Tewkesbury (down sarf lol) and got my first basenji last year. They are the most fantastic breed, i just adore my girl.

"Darn Sarf" you mean :p

Thank you all for the warm welcomes guys, Greatly Appreciated πŸ˜ƒ

I have emailed the man in charge of the NBS and i am waiting to hear from him regarding any litters he is aware of.
    I think the best thing for me to do now is go to the upcoming shows and get talking to some of the guys there, Become more familiar with the breed and gain a bit (cough) LOT more knowledge about this breed.

Once again thanks for the information and advice you all gave me πŸ™‚

• Welcome at the forum!

Keep us updated about your way to the Basenji πŸ˜ƒ

• Keep us posted Kieren

Suggested Topics