Male Basenji For Sale in Chicago, IL

• We certainly have tried. He's dang smart. The majority of the tables in both the kitchen and her bedroom are low enough the he can get stuff from on top of them. I suppose we could completely remove everything from a room, but that's sort of impractical. I would go crazy moving 25 picture frames in and out of the kitchen everyday!

We do have a dog room that we occasionally let him run around in, but the door was poorly-constructed and he can push it open to get into the rest of the house. Short of buying him a house of his own, I just can't find any place to keep him.

I just looked into BRAT. I'll talk with my fiance tomorrow about getting all the information we need for the form. Do you know if they will deny our application if we don't have breeder information? All our breeder gave us was a handwritten paper with shots info and birth date info. No phone number, if I remember correctly.

• My understanding is BRAT will not turn a dog away simply because you do not have this information. Just give as much as you have. It's all you can do. I believe the best thing, since the puppy you so wanted no longer fits into your lifestyle, is to surrender him to BRAT and let him find a home with people who will love him for who he is. He is still young enough to learn to trust a new family and love them.

• @takamarou:

We certainly have tried. He's dang smart. The majority of the tables in both the kitchen and her bedroom are low enough the he can get stuff from on top of them. I suppose we could completely remove everything from a room, but that's sort of impractical. I would go crazy moving 25 picture frames in and out of the kitchen everyday!

We do have a dog room that we occasionally let him run around in, but the door was poorly-constructed and he can push it open to get into the rest of the house. Short of buying him a house of his own, I just can't find any place to keep him.

That dog room sounds good. Can't you fix the door so he can't push it open? Does it need a new door handle? A door is easy to fix. You could put a radio in there with him to keep him company with it on a radio talk station on AM( just not Rush Limbaugh):D
    Sounds like you have your mind made up to give him up.

• If you are truly committed to him, then why not just buy an ex-pen or baby gate to restrict his access to the door in the dog room?

Dogs and puppies are hardwork and if you have decided that you are just not up to that committment then it is best to rehome him now while he is still young and desirable. If you are truly interested in keeping him there are many people on these forums who work and successfully own basenjis. If you are going to place him please contact BRAT. They carefully screen their adopters and if at some point in the future he needs to be rehomed again then they will be there for him for life.

• Just to reiterate what lvoss said, if you want suggestions on how to keep him in your family, we can help you with that. Lots of dogs stay in their crates while their owners work, and then enjoy a busy life with them when they are home.

If you have decided that you just think he would truly be better off somewhere else, then BRAT can help you with that.

In my opinion, you don't need to give up your dog because you both work full time…but if either one of you doesn't want to cope with having a dog, then rehoming is the best option.

• BRAT will not turn any dog away for lack of breeder info. We are more concerned with what his temperment is. Here is a link to rehome your B. We will not pay for him though. If you are interested in finding a home, and the breeder will not take him back, then please consider surrendering him to BRAT. we do our best to find the best home for every B.

http://www.basenjirescue.org/post.htm

• Hi.

I am in Chicago, on the south side, and have family in West Suburbs, so if you need help basenji-proofing a room, I am willing to come out.
    Have you contacted the breeder? Most breeders have a clause in the contract that you have to bring the dog back to them if you cannot keep him.
    Who was your breeder?

-Nicole

• @nkjvcjs:

Hi.

I am in Chicago, on the south side, and have family in West Suburbs, so if you need help basenji-proofing a room, I am willing to come out.
    Have you contacted the breeder? Most breeders have a clause in the contract that you have to bring the dog back to them if you cannot keep him.
    Who was your breeder?

-Nicole

I don't think in reading his post that this was a breeder that used contracts since they did not get any registration information. And the parents were not health tested.

I think that BRAT is the best choice for this baby

• You are right Pat. I didn't read carefully.

• @tanza:

I don't think in reading his post that this was a breeder that used contracts since they did not get any registration information. And the parents were not health tested.

I think that BRAT is the best choice for this baby

I didn't make any commentary before about the breeder, but I am of the same implied opinion as you, Ms. Pat. Twelve letters from the same parents???

Another thread regarding when they first got this boy:

www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=7097

• Hi! I live in Racine, WI. I'm about an hour form chicago. I would like to meet him. I'm looking to adopt a basenji and would love to help you. Please let me know when we can meet. I would be willing to take him to the vet to see if he is clear of things and healthy. my number is 262-994-1427. thanks! i have a few more questions. If i do not answer please leave a message. I have a female basenji that I would like him to meet too. Perhaps we could set a play date to see if they get along and then we can chat then.

Stephanie

• Wow, hopefully this will be a good match-up! I know of a couple of Forum match-ups that have worked out wonderfully!

• I am in the chicago area and would be interested in Boss

• I also am near Chicago and would be interested

• Oh man, all I can say is this is so sad. 😞 I read previous messages and everything looked like the puppy, whether Fanconi and health tested or not, was going to be a forever addition to a (new) family. Maybe the puppy was pushed on someone, or maybe not enough was known about the breed. I just hope he can find his forever home through BRAT, which I would also say is the best choice in this situation.

Suggested Topics