• @sharronhurlbut:

You should know that some b's are not good around cats, and some are.
    Most puppies will accept the cats in the house, as their Pack, but strange cats can have issues.
    Just a heads up

LOL my CATS had no issues with dogs – they've always lived with dogs -- but my BASENJIS had issues with my cats! The four animals cannot co-exist in peace. Jazz could be taught to tolerate them, but Keoki is pretty much hopeless w/out having a professional come live with us for a month.
    I've never encountered such a determined dog when it comes to prey drive.

• @JazzysMom:

LOL my CATS had no issues with dogs – they've always lived with dogs -- but my BASENJIS had issues with my cats! The four animals cannot co-exist in peace. Jazz could be taught to tolerate them, but Keoki is pretty much hopeless w/out having a professional come live with us for a month.
    I've never encountered such a determined dog when it comes to prey drive.

Usually (not always mind you) your breeder will try and pick the pup that they feel would be the best with a cat… one without the most prey drive... most times it works, but not always.

• It is funny when it comes to cats and basenjis, there just doesn't seem to be any real pattern to what makes some combinations successful and others not. Of my four basenjis, only one doesn't really care for cats and it is not a harrassing, chasing thing, it is a really doesn't want them in her house thing. Rally always tolerated Spot as long as he followed her one written in stone rule which was no cats in the puppy room or anywhere near the puppy room. You would swear she thought cats fed on puppies. She also tolerates our cat Nu but he does not care for the dogs so stays out in his cat tree in the garage when the dogs are about. She did not tolerate our foster cats, two very sweet Bengal boys. My other three like cats. They will cuddle up to the cats and interact with them. Occassionally the youngsters can be a little much but they usually respond to the cat telling them to knock it off. Definately something to discuss with the breeder when trying to find the right match.

• I think he'll do well with my cats. They have visited dogs and have been visited by dogs for a few hours to a week and they end up playing. I plan on bringing my pup over to friends' to visit early so I can socialize him early.

The professional working dog obedience training is definitely by positive reinforcement. The classes are one on one, not group, and use food and rewards for training. Seeing as all the traininers there are certified and train dogs for narcotics, bomb detecting and police work, I expect great results.

If possible, I would rather drive and bond with the dog in the car (my wife will drive back) than in the plane - where I can't take him out to go potty or hold him or be on the same level or control the atmosphere as much. If I can not drive, then I will fly with the basenji in the cabin, but I'll never have one shipped in a crate under the plane.

• So nobody knows of any breeders that I can contact that might have litters being born in Jan-Mar?

• @Solus:

So nobody knows of any breeders that I can contact that might have litters being born in Jan-Mar?

Did you try contacting any of the breeders on the Basenji Club of America website breeder's directory? They're listed by state so you might have some options nearer to than you were originally thinking.

• The breeders that I know that are expecting litters have full waiting lists. This is really late to get started looking for a puppy this breeding season.

Your best bet is to just start contacting breeders that have dogs with traits you are interested in and see if they may have a puppy that has become available because a home didn't work out or may have a spring litter. They may also know of other breeders near them that have a puppy available.

Also, be prepared that there may not be a puppy available this year because it is late in the season to have started looking.

• I do realize it is a bit late, and I almost just gave up and was just going to deal with waiting until next year. I had to prepare for my deployment which I am on now and I just can't not try to find my little buddy this year. Everything is ready, so if I can find one now, that'll be better than next year, even though I know I'm not looking at the optimal time.

I do plan to contact pretty much every breeder on that list on my day off when I can get to regular internet. I've tried that list and most of them are blocked at work 8(

I just thought there might be someone on here that is not on that list or knows of a reputable breeder they can reccomend or anything. Might as well try right?

• You can visit my website, we just had a litter born on Christmas and have a few pups still available.
    If nature cooperates, we will have a spring litter out of a co-owned bitch, so that might be a possibility for you.

• Sweet, thanks! Tomorrow is my day off and I'll be checking out a bunch of sites 😎

Suggested Topics