Skip to content

Neutered dogs and lure or racing competition

Basenji Training
  • Are you allowed to compete (not just train) in racing or lure course with a neutered dog or spayed bitch ?
    In France you are not suppose to, but what about the USA, Finland, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Danemark…...?

  • Yes, absolutely in the US. It is soo much easier..the boys are less likely to follow the girls, and since the girls can't run with they are in season, you can race any time of year.

  • Yeh, they can be neutered and allowed to course in the UK too. We also have the same rule about no btiches in season (which is perfectly sensible)

  • lucky you!

Suggested Topics

  • Are coursing dogs different than confirmation dogs?

    Basenji Training
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    7k Views
    J
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I feel assured what the breeder said was sound-That the dog can do both lure and show providing they want to. So since I really want to lure how soon should I start with the pup?
  • What to put my dog into???

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    5k Views
    lisastewartL
    Google Gazehounds in TX. They do straight and oval racing in the Mckinney, TX area. We come down occasionally for their NOTRA meets. They are having an oval race this weekend if you would like to atttend and watch I can send you directions. We will not be there this time as I'm having surgery Monday and need to take a couple weeks off. Where in TX is Pearland? We do lure coursing in Hutto, Waller and Cat Springs, but the season is at and end now. Will pick up again at the end of Sept which would be a good time for your girl to try some practice runs. There are lots of nice non basenji people in the clubs who will help you train her. Get a good recall on her now, puppy training classes would help for that.
  • Lure Coursing

    Basenji Training
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    7k Views
    tanzaT
    here is a link for coursing in NY for AKC http://www.akc.org/events/search/index.cfm?action=results
  • Lure coursing in Orlando?

    Basenji Training
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    4k Views
    tanzaT
    @Mia: I tried an online seach for lure coursing in Orlando but nothing. The closest one is about an hour away, actually ASFA only cites 3 in the whole state of Florida! If anyone can give me advice on how to find a club and get my puppy running that would be great. Thanks If they are not listed with ASFA or not AKC ( and I check AKC site and looks like only one club in AKC does coursing in FLA, Sunshine State Coursing Club of Central Florida) most likely you will not find one any closer. You might try NOTRA (oval track and see if any in FLA) but usually the same clubs that course do NOTRA. Also you might contact the club in Fla and ask them..
  • Track Racing??

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    8k Views
    K
    Well this thread is a couple years old, but I figure I'll chime in anyways in case anyone wants info, and since I was "paged". :) Yes, we do straight and oval racing (and Lenny too) and it's a blast. Probably my absolute favorite thing to do with the Basenjis, and we do it all. lol The dogs are out there having so much fun doing what they were born to do, and you can hoot and holler for your kids like if you were at a sporting event and cheer them on. There's lots of comraderie between the people and the atmosphere is so relaxing. It's about as objective as it gets, no politics from questionable judging, etc. Just simply who crossed the finish line first. :) Jys1011, did you ever get your kids involved in racing? One of my boys now lives in NJ and he has done some amazing things on the track. He is basically undefeated and his owner has worked hard doing all kinds of things to help him be #1. And he's having the time of his life! I know there are several race meets in NJ and the surrounding areas each year, and I bet Kathryn would be happy to help you learn the ropes. If you want to find out more about the races, you can go to the websites for the organizations and they have calendars of upcoming events that list dates and locations. Also they list clubs and contacts, so I woul contact the nearest club or two and they will give you an idea of when local meets are as well as potential practices or other club activities. LGRA is the straight racing organization, their website is lgra.org Click on "calendar", then on "PDF calendar" after that, in the left column. This will tell you the race dates and locations so you can do some map googling to find out what's feasable for you to attend. Practices are much more plenty and inviting at race meets vs lure trials. Plus the lure is a bit more "exciting" usually for the dogs. So it's a great place to learn no matter which lure activity you plan to do. NOTRA is for oval track, their site is notra.org Click on "racedates" I'd be happy to help further if you would like more running details.
  • Florida Lure Coursing?

    Basenji Training
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    17k Views
    WooflessW
    @lvoss: In order to get a JC your dog does not need to run with another dog. A JC is earned by your dog running the course by itself. It must pass 2 JC tests to earn the title. To certify a dog for ASFA the dog must run with another dog and show that it will not interfere. D'oh! I got the two mixed up :) But that's what I meant, lol…. Most of the lure trials we attended were ASFA trials....I think we did do practice runs at ONE AKC trial, but Jibini was less than 1 year old so I am pretty sure thats why we never did a JC "qualifying" run. I'm tempted to get back into it now that I have my own "pair".....but it always seems money is an issue that makes a 300-400 mile weekend jaunt a bit out of reach!! I also found it disheartening that there were so few Basenjis entered in Florida lure courses, and among those I met, nobody had dogs who could run with a strange dog. However, I enjoyed the time I spent at Lure trials and letting Jibini run....it was fun, even if we didn't get any "alphabet soup" for Jibini's name!!! Defintely an experience well worth it :)