• [yt]rFogZ-bG-4I[/yt]

I love the basenji trying to rip thatsucker to shreds! It's a shame they only show him two times & briefly.

I know Dallas is still too young for lure coursing (they have to be at least 1 year old right?) but do they need to be trained before competing in lure coursing or do they just go for it?

• I start taking mine to lure trials as puppies. They are great opportunities for socialization and I want them to get used to the sights and sounds of a trial. I also let them practice, usually a short straight away to start and getting a little longer and longer as they grow.

• How did you get your basenji into lure coursing? Is there somewhere in CA I can take Rusty? The video looks like so much fun!

• Google "Inland Wilderness Hunt Club". There's an event in May (17 and 18) at Irvine Lake. The premium (entry form) isn't up yet. Check out Tanza's page on Lure Coursing or read about it at akc.org. For my first time I took Zip to an Inland Wilderness Hunt Club event in March and had a blast. I highly recommend it. I think in general people are willing to help you get familiarized with the sport, especially how to release your hound and stuff. My one recommendation for May would be to bring elaborate shade-making equipment. I, um, missed that memo back in March, hehe.

• Here is my link to cousing on my site:
    http://www.tanzabasenjis.net/lure.html

And I too always took mine as babies… it is the best socialization and then they get to practice on very short straight aways....

• Thank you!

• Great video! Thanks for sharing. I have wanted to do coursing with my Basenji/Whippet mix for a while now and FINALLY someone in our town that owns whippets has bought the equipment and is starting a group that will allow ANY breed or mixed breed dog to participate. 😃

• @jenwilson:

Great video! Thanks for sharing. I have wanted to do coursing with my Basenji/Whippet mix for a while now and FINALLY someone in our town that owns whippets has bought the equipment and is starting a group that will allow ANY breed or mixed breed dog to participate. 😃

That is great, at our trials, time and equipment permitting, we always have practice that anyone can participate regardless of the breed of dog… one of our coursing friends has a French Bulldog...:D .... and he runs the lure in practice!!!!

• Do you have to compete to play? I mean- I think jack would love it and have the time of his life, but I don't really want to get into competition.

Also, what is the equipment need?

Are there classes anywhere in a fenced in area….these trials look like they are in the middle of a field? To start I think I'd like to be in a fenced in area.

• @Robin_n_Jack:

Do you have to compete to play? I mean- I think jack would love it and have the time of his life, but I don't really want to get into competition.

Also, what is the equipment need?

Are there classes anywhere in a fenced in area….these trials look like they are in the middle of a field? To start I think I'd like to be in a fenced in area.

Practice is just that, practice (play)… and training for new ones that want to someday run.... And you will be surprised how quickly you might get drawn into competing...;)
    Every field is different, some are fences, some are not... and yes they are in fields.... as the courses are quite big.

Check out at www.asfa.org and see if there are any clubs near you that will be doing coursing in the near future and go watch… or contact them..

• here is a link for coursing in NY for AKC
    http://www.akc.org/events/search/index.cfm?action=results

Suggested Topics