• The Basenjis that we raised in the 70s'-80's would climb over a 4' high plywood gate. Sometimes they would say forget the climb and just stand 2' away and give one push with their back feet and sail right over the gate. We also made a run for them on the back side of the porch with a doggy door enclosed with an 8' high fence. that didn't stop Dandy from still climbing up the fence. Also had to watch when we went outside. Mad Dashes out the Door. Thank God we lived on a Farm!!!

• Is there any chance of getting that original picture file sent to me? I would love to print it out and have on my wall. Please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

PS
    About this "lock" thing, just use a carbine hook They are plenty strong, and safe if it has to be removed in a hurry.

• yep, that is what i put on the kennels for the boys. so far so good. but really, nothing will surprise me…they are just to darn smart. good thing they dont have thumbs. lol maybe they dont need them. 🙂

• A friend of mine has a very clever escape artist, and she has to use TWO different kinds of carabiners - one like the one shown above and a twist-lock like the one attached. One by itself is not enough.

🙂
    Loki & Freya
    attachment_p_95730_0_180px-hms_carabiner.png

• ARE YOU KIDDING???? ok i am really not surprised…. 🙂

• If the carabiner is positioned properly and all your dogs are contained, you will not have them escaping. Keep in mind with those barrel locks, firefighters wear thick gloves and do not have fine manipulation capabilities with them on. The suggestion of the carabiner was for the safety of the dog and possible rescue in an emergency. Anything overly complicated also places risks on your fur family.

I have a fold-down metal crate for AJ and I'm trying to figure out how he would be able to reach the carabiner from the inside of the crate.

• Yes we also had a male in the 70s that was always escaping. 6ft wall no problem. My parents added an extention to the top. He found an window upstairs with a broken latch nudged it open went on the roof, from the roof jumped to the wall ledge and from there was home free.

• @Loki_Freya:

A friend of mine has a very clever escape artist, and she has to use TWO different kinds of carabiners - one like the one shown above and a twist-lock like the one attached. One by itself is not enough.

🙂
    Loki & Freya

On my wire crates, I have to use the ones with a locking barrel (like the one in your pic) on my 11mo pup. So no, I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

2 days ago, I had her in a vari-kennel - she's never been able to escape one of those - twice she managed to open the door even though I checked it to be sure it was secure. Have no idea how she did it, so this weekend I'm going to put her in and sit and watch to see her in action. Now vari-kennels need to be locked with a caribiner too. :eek:

• @AJs:

If the carabiner is positioned properly and all your dogs are contained, you will not have them escaping. Keep in mind with those barrel locks, firefighters wear thick gloves and do not have fine manipulation capabilities with them on. The suggestion of the carabiner was for the safety of the dog and possible rescue in an emergency. Anything overly complicated also places risks on your fur family.

I have a fold-down metal crate for AJ and I'm trying to figure out how he would be able to reach the carabiner from the inside of the crate.

Wouldn't the fastest way to get a dog out of the house (in the case of a fire) be to just carry the crate out, with the dog in the crate? I can't open my dogs crates with thick winter gloves on even without caribiners for locks.

• It depends on how they have to be removed. In crate would be the safest way for both humans and dogs, but some people have the crates in hard-to-reach areas and can only access the doors to the crates. They may have the crates secured to the wall or floor or even to each other.

Let's talk about fire, since that is what I know. How or whether to remove an animal depends on where the fire started and what condition that area will be in if you have to carry your tools, hose and a dog crate through it, all while wearing turnouts and an air tank. If there is a window, an animal can be passed through to other personnel, but is the crate too big to fit through it? The dog will have to come out of the crate in that instance.

Leaving the animal in the crate and carrying the crate out is safest also because dogs bite when they are upset or afraid, they run away and hide in comfort spots where we might not be able to find or reach them…they are unpredictable in situations like that. However, once outside in the crate and the animal needs medical care, how difficult will it be for rescuers to get hands on the animal?

Firefighters do their best to rescue animals and having easy access is a great way to assist them doing this. That said, though, human life and safety must take precedent regardless of the screaming pet owner outside.

Suggested Topics