Dogs As Smart as 2-Year old

• @Basenjimamma:

Sign me up for one of those bumper stickers too. I can't believe (well I guess I can, they are B's after all ;)) they have figured out how to open the cans..that sounds dangerous..there is no telling what they learn next..

Mine is already taking on Interior Design. "I think the couch stuffing on the carpet really adds contrast to the room" :rolleyes:

They certainly are sly. It's what makes them great hunters. 😃

• Basenjimamma, the opening of cans is not a practice I encourage as I am afraid the will break teeth or cut themselves, hence the child safety locks. I came home today to find that I forgot to chain the closet door shut in the hallway. This is were I keep my bulk doggie treats, dog clothes etc. They had opened the by-fold closet door and manged to pull things out of a wire rack cart on wheels without turing it over. It was like an all you can eat buffet for them. Another example of true intelligence.

• If they weren't like that they wouldn't be able to survive in the Congo.

• @nobarkus:

If they weren't like that they wouldn't be able to survive in the Congo.

Of course. That's what makes these dogs so unique (and sometimes displeasing 😃 ).

I don't think we'd survive as well as them out in the wildlife. Sometimes I think they already know this…

• @Kananga:

Of course. That's what makes these dogs so unique (and sometimes displeasing 😃 ).

I don't think we'd survive as well as them out in the wildlife. Sometimes I think they already know this…

That's why putting a dog that's been breed to survive in Africa in a domesticated home in America can be a real challenge at times. Not that you're taking it right out of the jungle and plopping him in your house but they still have that little progam in the brain to survive in that jungle. All my past 3 Basenjis were excellent hunters and I could have lived off the jack rabbits and birds they caught.

• @nobarkus:

That's why putting a dog that's been breed to survive in Africa in a domesticated home in America can be a real challenge at times.

I occasionally joke about how if the economy truly collapsed and it was "everyone man/woman for themselves", having a Basenji may prove to be useful as they are great hunters. Then I realize that once he's off into the wild, he's going to be more concerned about feeding himself than me, and that I'd probably be sitting around for quite some time waiting for him to return. :o

• @Kananga:

I occasionally joke about how if the economy truly collapsed and it was "everyone man/woman for themselves", having a Basenji may prove to be useful as they are great hunters. Then I realize that once he's off into the wild, he's going to be more concerned about feeding himself than me, and that I'd probably be sitting around for quite some time waiting for him to return. :o

Mine would bring the kill to me. My b/w female Nika surprised me once when she was like 8-9 months old out in this field, she was out running around and then I turned around and she was standing there and dropped this jack rabbit out of her mouth right by my feet and I thought "were did she get that dead thing" and then I noticed the nerves twitching. I had my first tri kill and bring me a Pheasant once. She darted out to the middle of this open field and I couldn't see anything and all the sudden 4-5 of these birds flew up and she head butted one and it lost flight a bit and strated to fly up and she jumped up and hit it again with her head and it came down and she nabbed it then dragged it across this open grassy field.

• Houston

I am truly amazed at this dogbreed's abilities sometimes..on their own..no humans needed..Otis still needs his humans though..to pick up his Oscar Meyer Bacon from the store and all…LOL, but other then that he'd do fine with us..or so he thinks..and he might be right..!

• @Basenjimamma:

I am truly amazed at this dogbreed's abilities sometimes..on their own..no humans needed..Otis still needs his humans though..to pick up his Oscar Meyer Bacon from the store and all…LOL, but other then that he'd do fine with us..or so he thinks..and he might be right..!

I think the brindle beast needs a shopping cart. 😃

• Houston

Oh, he already has one…her name is Luna..he stuffs his goodiesin her mouth and it seems to work out great..so far no quarrels(sp?).

He is terrible, counter and table sufing constantly..like he is a starving dog from the jungle or something, but we are learning to live with it. i.e putting things up nad we are working with him to stop it..yeah right..

• @Basenjimamma:

Oh, he already has one…her name is Luna..he stuffs his goodiesin her mouth and it seems to work out great..so far no quarrels(sp?).

He is terrible, counter and table sufing constantly..like he is a starving dog from the jungle or something, but we are learning to live with it. i.e putting things up nad we are working with him to stop it..yeah right..

Heh. I'm honestly surprised my B does not ever counter surf or try to steal food. I tried to give him some Cantaloupe yesterday and he didn't care for it. Same goes with oranges (although he hates the smell of orange peels).

He's an extremely picky eater. I cannot motivate him with treats at all. Anyone else with a Basenji like this? First dog I have ever had that has zero interest in treats. He does eat his food, but it's nothing special to him.

I guess I am ok with him not counter surfing though…..:D

• @Basenjimamma:

Otis is quite the character! If you had Buddy in your house you could have one of those reality shows like the Ozzy Osbourne Family only it would be all the craziness the dogs were creating.

• Houston

nobarcus wrote

you could have one of those reality shows like the Ozzy Osbourne Family only it would be all the craziness the dogs were creating

That would be so funny and doopey..
    Kanagan wrote

He's an extremely picky eater. I cannot motivate him with treats at all. Anyone else with a Basenji like this?

Otis will eat anything..except the fish my hubby caught during our trip last week..we took it into his mouth, chewed on it for a few seconds, spit it out and thn tried it again, with the same results..he just could not get himslef to eat it. The dachshund on the other hand devoured it, only to realize too late what he had done, then he had this horrified look on his face..as if he had eaten poison or something..hilarious in my eyes, not so much in Gus' eyes..Otis and Luna thought he was insane for eating the fish..it was even cleaned and filead (sorry about spelling, having a blond, foreign moment and can't think of it..), but nope not edible in their mind..

Suggested Topics