• Welcome! And you are wonderful for taking in a wayward pup. And all are welcome on the forum, doesn't matter if your dog is part basenji or not. There are DNA tests that supposedly can give an idea of what type of mix you have. Although, I read a review of them in Whole Dog Journal which said you can get different results from different companies as they all apparently use different markers for breed differentiation.

• He is BEAUTIFUL. Enjoy him!

• Whatever she has in her she is very pretty. And kudos to you for rescuing her. May she give you many years of happiness.

• Houston

Welcome to both of you. She is a very striking dog..I love her blue eyes.

• Whatever she is, she is absolutely beautiful! I'd love to have a doggie that looks like that!

• Well, it has been awhile and Mika has grown up. She's over two years old now, still holding in at 30lbs, and we still don't know what kind of dog she is. But she has turned out to be a pretty good frisbee-catching dog, a good travel-dog, and a great jogging partner. Two pictures attached: one is a pic of dog and me in the Arizona desert somewhere and the other is the dog looking worried as we crossed Wolf Creek Pass Colorado in snow and ice.
    attachment_p_132888_0_mika-and-jd-arizona-desert-2.jpg
    attachment_p_132888_1_jd-and-mike-wolf-creek-pass.jpg

• She's grown into a lovely girl.

• JD, she is certainly a beautiful girl! I love the picture where you are driving, and she is patiently waiting for the sun to fill up your lap?

Is she a sun-hog? Most basenjis are. I have a dog that is supposed to be a "rat terrier", but since the AKC didn't have a standard for a rat terrier until this year, I think Joker is a basenji- terrier mix. He has the smile, little frown wrinkles, but he can bark. When he barks, he has two distinctive sounds: "I hear you dog, I'm barking back", and "Hey Human, you are a stranger… get out of my yard!".... 🙂

Thanks for being a great Mika lover...

• I'm pretty sure there is lots of terrier in my dog. She is so goofy looking with those too-long legs and too-long body, but she is the ideal size and shape to be a jogging dog. I am still a runner in my advanced age and I can't go far enough to actually get her tired, although once we ran enough miles to get her panting some. She has excellent sight, can see a cat at the other end of our street, and as I mentioned before, can watch airplanes and hawks and other flying creatures.

She barks. She howls. She whines. She makes all sorts of unusual "talking" noises.

She travels very well on our trips but has somehow established herself in my lap or wife's lap as we drive. Not safe, I know, but hard to resist.

• Whatever she is, she is lovely! Thank you for rescuing her!

Suggested Topics