Skip to content

What's the best microchip?

Basenji Talk
  • So I think I need to get my Basenji a microchip. When outside, I always keep him on a long lead in our yard without a problem. Well I brought him to a father's day picnic with the lead. The party was outside and everything was fine until I went into the house and my family followed me. Within the five minutes my B was alone, in an unfamiliar yard, he chewed through his 1" thick collar, ran up the stairs, and frantically started scratching at the back door. I'm sooo lucky he didn't take this as an opportunity to run off. :eek: He has had some issues with separation anxiety in the past, but nothing like this. I was pretty freaked out. Without his licence or information, and not to mention how fast he can run, I fear I would never have found him.

    I need to know what the best microchip brand is? What have you had success with? I've heard that some are hard for vets to read and some are not universal? I also want to make sure it can be read nationwide.

    Can there be any negative side affects to the microchip?

    Thanks for the input!

  • we chipped both our boys. it was $37 each for our area. i did not get national but you can upgrade for about $15 more. the brand out vet used is AVID. It was VERY simple, just a quick injection. just took a few seconds. jonny didnot make a peep. hansel squealed a little. they have a tag on their collars too. did not get a choice that is just what the vet used.

  • I got mine done at Petsmart pretty cheap. There are actually two tags in him because of two different frequencies. The funny part is one scanner got one tag, and one got the other when getting OFA tests done at a clinic.

  • All of mine have HomeAgain chips. HomeAgain and Avid are the most common chips in the US.

  • Mine both have AVID.

  • Liyah & Brando have Avid and Ruby has Home Again.

Suggested Topics

  • Any idea's?

    Basenji Talk
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    8k Views
    F
    My dog had an adverse reaction to the Heartworm edible I gave her, do you possibly give one? if so is it maybe related to that? I had to switch brands and she still doesnt feel well for 1 to 2 days after I give it, but it is not as bad as the other brand. Her symptoms were changes in consistency and color and frequency of bowel movements, she didnt eat, and didnt want to be bothered. And she ate grass.
  • I have ''issues'' with my basenji, can you help ?

    Basenji Talk
    33
    0 Votes
    33 Posts
    28k Views
    YodelMaY
    Ladybasenji, where are you in Quebec? Montreal? We have a place in Gatineau (Aylmer sector) and one of my dogs might even be related to yours. You're experiences with your girl remind me so much of my first basenji, about 20 years ago–it gets easier, I swear! Let me know if you'd like help with Lady--they're nothing like labs and will never be "obedient" but there are tricks for training them : D
  • It's been a long time since I've been here.

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    6k Views
    D
    I have not been on for about a month and am trying to catch up reading all the posts I have missed! Jennifer
  • Here's the skinny

    Basenji Talk
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    9k Views
    C
    Thanks all, great info!
  • Here's your chance….....

    Basenji Talk
    55
    0 Votes
    55 Posts
    29k Views
    S
    I vote every day. I guess other groups have more people helping them. Sigh.
  • Daddy.. what's she doing..?

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    M
    @snorky998: You guys got me laughing as I picture "Elaine" from the 'Friends' TV series when she thinks she's the great dancer, and she really appears to be in some sort of zen spaz attack.:D I think you are thinking of Elaine from Seinfeld…. but that is exactly what I was thinking of