• First Basenji's

Moses has started to hide his bones (rawhide, but if anyone has a suggestion for a healthier choice, I'm listening) under the tuffet. Then he lays half under to chew on it. I think he "thinks" we can't see him because he can't see us. It's so funny - i'll try & get a picture to post, but when he knows we're paying attention he leaves the skirted stool and grabs something else. it's like he's trying to distract us from knowing where he's put it. All his other toys he puts away in their basket? It's hilarious! LOL!

• My last 2 would play a game of steal the chew, which was very gross and soggy. That thing would be like gold and they'd get growly with each other over it. One would be on the couch with it and the other would tease and bait the other to jump off and chase him, then run around the coffee table and back up on the couch to steal it and run off to the corner of the room. He would stick it right in the corner and push the carpet with his nose like it was dirt and bury it. He then would walk away the the other would run over and steal it back.
    With my new tri I tried giving him one of those but they're too dangerous as the pieces break off and they can choke. I used to take it away from my others when it got half way.
    No more pressed raw hide!

• First Basenji's

how cute! Do you give them something else to chew on? I hate rawhide, but if he doesn't have something he will chew on everything he walks by, while he's walking by it. He does "drive by chewings"

• Bully Sticks make a good chew treat for them….

• First Basenji's

I'm not sure what that is? An actual billy club like the cops use?

• Can Bully sticks break into pieces that they can choke on?

• A bully stick is very healthy for them and I have never seen one break into peices, nor can my boy tear small strips off. It is a bit distasteful knowing that it is a dried up bull's penis, but it saves my table legs, chair legs, and my area rug… He likes it, so I guess that counts for something!

• Bully sticks do not break off…. but that said... I do take them away when they are less then 2" long.... Don't know how "really" healthy they are.. but they are great chew sticks for them.... I have used them for years and years....

• They carry some at Pet Smart but it is not the same brand.I have a b with VERY sensitive stomach. Would that upset him and give him diarrhea? That is SO nasty. Yuck. I have been giving him a bit of yogurt with his breakfast. Will see if that helps any. He can eat diamond lamb and rice, and peanut butter and that is about it. BUT I would like to get something yummy with taste for him to chew on besides a ball and a toy.

• @jonny:

They carry some at Pet Smart but it is not the same brand.I have a b with VERY sensitive stomach. Would that upset him and give him diarrhea? That is SO nasty. Yuck. I have been giving him a bit of yogurt with his breakfast. Will see if that helps any. He can eat diamond lamb and rice, and peanut butter and that is about it. BUT I would like to get something yummy with taste for him to chew on besides a ball and a toy.

Really? What else have you fed your B? How old is he? Sensitive stomachs stink. I had all sorts of issues with my girl when I brought her home & with the help of my vet, finally got her straightened out. I have tried to feed my boy carrots & have figured out they make him vomit & it seems as though real chicken makes his stool consistency less than desirable, esp. when it's on my oyster-colored carpet. Have you checked with your vet about his tummy issues? Trinity had diarrhea for a straight week after her spay - I know exactly what you mean - YUCK! I've given Trinity several things from the brand Pork Chomps - like a rawhide, but made from pork skin & much more digestible. I've never had any problems with choking or bad bowels, but I monitored her chewing progress all the time - serious worrier. Now I just give them Nylabones - they claim to be flavored & my Bs like them a lot. Bits of the bone do get chewed off - sometimes I find them in the carpet, other times I know they ate them. Again, no bowel probs there either.

• I give mine bully sticks or pizzle sticks (which are from boars). Rawhide gave my previous boys problems (one got stuck in intestines and another nearly choked) - they are not very digestable.

As for the bone hiding - mine have done that more to "store" the bone for a later treat. It's so funny to watch Gossy hide hers (the newspaper recycle box is great for that) - she always keeps one eye on me to make sure I don't follow her. Every once in awhile I have to steal them back - when she tries to hide them in my silk pillows (ick).

• Houston

I have a funny story about dogs hiding treats. Our lovely Mutt, Lou (he passed away in April) was a pro at first of all stealing food and second in hiding the goods. One day I made a whole baking sheet of chicken thighs for me to eat through the week. I took them out of the oven and then I decided to run an errand as the thighs cooled off (?). I left them on top of the stove covered in foil and ran off to the store. When I got home about 30 min. later there were no thighs to be seen anywhere. Needless to say I went nuts, reprimanding Lou for stealing them and Bogus (our Westie, he passed in March), for helping him get rid of the evidence. Well the day continued and we didn't think any more of the chicken incident…until TV time came around. As we sat down to watch Tv both of the dogs got really agitated, and started to "dig" in the couch...behind the cushions were some of the thighs they didn't manage to scarf down...again I am going nuts...greasy chicken thighs all on my tan couch..Later we went to bed and in our bed, under our pillows we found more chicken thighs...darn dogs.
    Lou did a lot of those things, once he ate 9 loafs of bread that I had baked....this is after his diagnozis of Hypothyroidism...he did not get full ever..Bless his heart.

• First Basenji's

I guess this shows my husband & I's immaturity, but we cannot buy our son (furkid) a bulls penis to chew on. There has got to be something else?
    I giggle just thinking about it, and it grosses me out.LOL!!!!!!

• You'll just have to stick with manufactured treats then I guess - what a loss to your pup. 🙂

• Houston

Now, let's say I want my dogs to chew on some bully sticks, where might one find those?

• First Basenji's

@wizard:

You'll just have to stick with manufactured treats then I guess - what a loss to your pup. 🙂

He won't know he's lost out. I think I will get him a cows leg bone from the butcher. Anyone tried one before?

• @Basenjimamma:

Now, let's say I want my dogs to chew on some bully sticks, where might one find those?

Just seach the internet for bully sticks for dogs… And places like Petco has them too...

They also have all natural ones on the net

• Dan,
    you mention your last two Basenjis hiding chews by scraping the carpet. Benji did the same, he would carry the food etc into various spots in the room and then scrape his nose along the wooden floor as if covering it with dirt, sometimes he would pick it up and begin the whole process again in a different part of the room. Our other dog would sit and watch and as soon as Benji moved away he would go over and eat the food,
    Shelley

• My Nicky also uses imaginary dirt to hide her precious treats. Too bad that the boys have x-ray vision and can find them anyway!

• Watching them do that is funny. The top of Ringo's nose had the black wearing off from doing that.

Suggested Topics