Maya's First Item of Destruction!

• I'm going to regret posting this…but Liyah, my 5 mo, has only ever chewed on chew toys...not even her stuffed toys (she plays with those), no bedding, no furniture, no electronics. She hasn't been destructive at all. I'm sure she'll start tonight. :rolleyes:

My 2 4yo adults on the other hand more than keep me on my toes...although I think Ruby (Liyah's granny) really only is left chewing Brando's spoils and then she gets fingered for the crime. The only direct destruction I can link Ruby to was a $270 cashmere sweater...that was enough. Brando on the other hand has been caught with my iPhone (just bite marks at this point), the power adapter to my laptop, shoes, sunglasses, mail, books, a couple chairs (hasn't touched furniture since I've been using tee tree oil).

The one thing I've learned is that no matter how much I think I've basenji proofed, I always seem to miss one key item.

Jess...I love how you talk like the rest of us that have damage from basenjis..."Maya didn't do THAT much damage"...we all try to rationalize it...ha, ha, ha 🙂

• @renaultf1:

I'm going to regret posting this…but Liyah, my 5 mo, has only ever chewed on chew toys...not even her stuffed toys (she plays with those), no bedding, no furniture, no electronics. She hasn't been destructive at all. I'm sure she'll start tonight. :rolleyes:

My 2 4yo adults on the other hand more than keep me on my toes…although I think Ruby (Liyah's granny) really only is left chewing Brando's spoils and then she gets fingered for the crime. The only direct destruction I can link Ruby to was a $270 cashmere sweater...that was enough. Brando on the other hand has been caught with my iPhone (just bite marks at this point), the power adapter to my laptop, shoes, sunglasses, mail, books, a couple chairs (hasn't touched furniture since I've been using tee tree oil).

The one thing I've learned is that no matter how much I think I've basenji proofed, I always seem to miss one key item.

Jess...I love how you talk like the rest of us that have damage from basenjis..."Maya didn't do THAT much damage"...we all try to rationalize it...ha, ha, ha 🙂

How long ago was it i said that about Maya? A month?? :p Nah, she is a puppy, puppies chew. My lab Riley ATE my mums utility room when he was a puppy - flooring, door, doorframe and even chewed the walls. Cant help but think Maya is not bad when thats what im comparing her to :rolleyes:

I did for get my phone actually, that has tiny puppy tooth marks all over the bottom of it (kinda gives away the guilty party :rolleyes: ) cos i went to sleep with it on the bed by accident and Madam must have woken up in the night and found it… 😃

• We have been very lucky in that we've lost nothing valuable to our Basenjis. While they do both like to chew, both are also pretty good about leaving things alone.
    An ink pen, a couple of kids' toys, a stuffed Santa Claus, a tennis shoe….. nothing that anyone really cared about {well, I WAS upset that my stuffed Mrs. Claus is now a widow,but.....}. A couple of items that may have irritated us at the time, but were really not a big deal.
    We've been fortunate......knock on wood.

• oooh Maya!

Well…. I don?t thinkthat would be the last time... 😃 :S

• @Buana:

oooh Maya!

Well…. I don?t thinkthat would be the last time... 😃 :S

No it will. Maya promised me she will never, ever, ever do it again 😃

• @Maya:

Umm, you do know that Tri's LIE, right?

lol

• @EskiLovr:

Umm, you do know that Tri's LIE, right?

lol

:eek:

My baby would never lie to her mum!!! :p

• @Maya:

hahahahaha

they're very good at promisses…...

And you can stay mad when they make their sweet face right???? hahahaha

• @JazzysMom:

{well, I WAS upset that my stuffed Mrs. Claus is now a widow,but…..}

Ha, ha, ha…too funny! :D:D:D

• @Maya:

I did for get my phone actually, that has tiny puppy tooth marks all over the bottom of it (kinda gives away the guilty party :rolleyes: ) cos i went to sleep with it on the bed by accident and Madam must have woken up in the night and found it… 😃

I'm sure she WASN'T actually trying to chew it…she was probably just making a call and didn't realize that she just needed to put her mouth up to it instead of around it. :D:D

• Houston

I actually was thinking last night that our Otis is very mellow, he has yet to destroy anything (!?). I was hoping that means he is a good boy, but now I guess I should just wait, 'cause it is coming? I do have two other nonB dogs so he is very occupied during the day, and I am home too, which might help. We will see

Basenjimamma

• @Basenjimamma:

I actually was thinking last night that our Otis is very mellow, he has yet to destroy anything (!?). I was hoping that means he is a good boy, but now I guess I should just wait, 'cause it is coming? I do have two other nonB dogs so he is very occupied during the day, and I am home too, which might help. We will see

Basenjimamma

Kananga was fine for the first 5 months. Now in recent weeks has has started to chew on things. I thought I caught it early enough to prevent it from getting worse, but he's back to chewing on things again.

I have no idea what provoked it. He was perfect for so long. Now I'm afraid I may have to crate him while I'm gone during the day. I don't want him getting into something that could cause harm to his health.

• They are all probably teething! And the best things for teething are phones, glasses, purses…well, you get the idea. What excuse can I use for my 11 year old who still takes my wallet out of my purse (dumb human, left it on the table again) and eats it?

• I think the b chewed on your camera, because she KNEW you needed a new one.
    That is what I think when the b's get my glasses!

• @MacPack:

They are all probably teething! And the best things for teething are phones, glasses, purses…well, you get the idea. What excuse can I use for my 11 year old who still takes my wallet out of my purse (dumb human, left it on the table again) and eats it?

My B is over a year old now. I got him when he was just under 8 months old. He behaved best while he was still a puppy. Seems backwards.

For some reason I believe he's starting to develop more of a separation anxiety. Which seems odd because he has always been fine before. Nothing changed.

Suggested Topics