• Well, in a nutshell, it went really well. Including Kipawa, there were 7 dogs. Kipawa was easily the highest energy dog there. He so much wants to play with all the other dogs, so instead of that, the trainer put us into a smaller area with a Boston Terrier that had a bad incident at a dog park (it had been pinned down by another dog). The trainer felt that Kipawa's non-threatening attitude would be good for the BT.

Kipawa and the BT played for about 10 minutes off leash, running around and having fun. A couple of times the owner of the BT had to squirt her dog because he was rough-housing a bit too much. When this was happening, I noticed Kipawa having his mouth open too much, so I stepped in a few times and gave him our 'gentle' command, which worked very well.

My husband was amazed at how fast Kipawa runs. I told Darrel that was nothing, that he should see him at the off leash park. If the ground hardens up a bit, Darrel will come with us. Right now his wheelchair would sink into the muck.

Then Kipawa and the BT were leashed, and we all did training in the larger area. We worked on sit/stay and heel. Yes, I certainly found out that the attention span of a basenji is short. His attention span did not make it all the way to the end of the class. The last 10 minutes were unfocussed, but overall, I am really happy with how he did.

After the class, we went to the hardware store so I could get a Dremel. My husband meant well, but he bought something like the Pedi-Paws, and it is pretty much garbage. So anyone reading this, pass on the Pedi-Paws types of nail groomers and get a Dremel instead. The one I got is suggested for 'small jobs', and cost $49.00.

We then came home and Kipawa had a huge rest. Occupying his mind obviously tires him quite well. 🙂 We are now heading off to the pet store so I can get him a couple of undestructable balls and perhaps another soft toy that is as strong as his "Chalo" cheetah.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

• Houston

Fun, Fun, Fun..So glad you had a good first puppy class. Pippin starts his tomorrow.

I agree..I have the dremel and the pedi-paws..pedi-paws sucks..go for dremel if you can..
    I looked for "chalo"..no luck, found it but no one carries it anymore…

• if you are looking for indestructible, but soft and cuddly, dog toys, i totally recommend the sherpa stuffed/squeaky toys. suki has had the dragon for months and it is her favorite. it is heavily chewed, thrown around, stalked, pounced upon, fetched, tug-o-warred, etc., and it doesn't have a single hole! the ears are mostly chewed off and the head 'fin' is a bit tore up, but no holes, no loose stuffing, and it still squeaks. they have some sort of magic material and secret stitching which makes them pretty tough. i was skeptical, but have been majorly surprised. i got it at petco or petsmart - i don't remember which.
    http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/dog/toys/soft-plush-toys/sherpa-go-dog-baby-dragon-dinosaur-dog-toys/prodSherpaGoDogBabyDragonDinosaurDogToys.html

• @tlish:

if you are looking for indestructible, but soft and cuddly, dog toys, i totally recommend the sherpa stuffed/squeaky toys. suki has had the dragon for months and it is her favorite. it is heavily chewed, thrown around, stalked, pounced upon, fetched, tug-o-warred, etc., and it doesn't have a single hole! the ears are mostly chewed off and the head 'fin' is a bit tore up, but no holes, no loose stuffing, and it still squeaks. they have some sort of magic material and secret stitching which makes them pretty tough. i was skeptical, but have been majorly surprised. i got it at petco or petsmart - i don't remember which.
    http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/dog/toys/soft-plush-toys/sherpa-go-dog-baby-dragon-dinosaur-dog-toys/prodSherpaGoDogBabyDragonDinosaurDogToys.html

Those toys didn't work at all in my house. My b's were obsessed with the crinkling noise the wings made on the terradactyl and consequently it only lasted a day. Maybe with a single b it might work - but with multiples, it is only that much more interesting when 1 gets thru with it. I bought a huge zebra by that same company that I brought home from a dog show for Aaliyah when she was a baby puppy. She plucked the thing clean (took about a month) and then one morning I was sleeping and I heard plastic and she has chewed into the side of the head…that was the end of it.

• Houston

I bought one of those as well for Pippin, he loved it..however our persistent chewer, Gus the dachshund killed it…they still play tons with it but the honker is out of it..
    Very tough material though, tougher than most.

• @Basenjimamma:

Fun, Fun, Fun..So glad you had a good first puppy class. Pippin starts his tomorrow.

I agree..I have the dremel and the pedi-paws..pedi-paws sucks..go for dremel if you can..
    I looked for "chalo"..no luck, found it but no one carries it anymore…

I too looked for more "Chalo" today, and wasn't able to find them at the one pet store we frequent. I will check the other store - if I find some I will buy whatever they have left, then will post so if someone wants one I will send it to them.

• @Basenjimamma:

Pippin starts his tomorrow.

Have fun, both of you. I hope you enjoy your first class as much as we did ours!

• Houston

Thank you Fran

• Many people find it totally amazing when they see that mental stimulation can tire out a puppy as much as a two hour run…..

• That is amazing about the mental stimulation, I have noticed that too.!!!

• @tanza:

Many people find it totally amazing when they see that mental stimulation can tire out a puppy as much as a two hour run…..

Oh Pat, how true! I could see how Kipawa was just shutting down on both the mental and physical sides near the end of the class. On the drive home, he just konked out into a deep sleep.

Just as exercise is good for overall health, so is strengthening the mind of a basenji (of course, in a positive way… or else.... 🙂 ).

Kipawa is sleeping right now, draped over my legs. Once he has his nap, we will be doing some training in the house. Then later, as we are fortunate to have sunshine today, we will be off to the park. Later this early evening is a nice structured walk, then a little more training tonight.

Kipawa seems to really like consistency in his routine.

• Fran, what a lucky b' you have.
    When do you start lure training? Watching the b's run is joyous.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Fran, what a lucky b' you have.
    When do you start lure training? Watching the b's run is joyous.

I want to complete the obedience classes (two sets of them) first and am also considering waiting until he is a year old before I start luring. I want his bones to be really strong before putting too much strain on them. In the mean time, lots of running at the dog park, which is sand.

• Sounds like a great start! I can't wait to join the club:) Ariel will be here in 20 days!

• @Kipawa:

I want to complete the obedience classes (two sets of them) first and am also considering waiting until he is a year old before I start luring. I want his bones to be really strong before putting too much strain on them. In the mean time, lots of running at the dog park, which is sand.

Just an FYI, most of us start letting our pups lure practice even as young as 10 to 12 wks…. granted it is just a short straight away, but gives them some sense of the game. And usually by 7 to 8 months most all B pups can do a full course.

• @tanza:

Just an FYI, most of us start letting our pups lure practice even as young as 10 to 12 wks…. granted it is just a short straight away, but gives them some sense of the game. And usually by 7 to 8 months most all B pups can do a full course.

Pat, thanks very much for that info. I trust your comments. I know Kipawa would love luring. There is a club that does luring that is about a 40 minute drive from where we are. They don't have any events planned yet - not even 'fun days'. I will keep an eye on their website.

http://www.meetup.com/Tri-Cities-Dog-Coursing-AgilityTraining/

Suggested Topics