• Rosey will be 9 in January. Someone on a canine Cushing's forum posted about knowing or having basenjis that lived for 17 and 18 years. I could only be so lucky if Rosey could live close to that long, especially with Cushings. My past non-basenji dogs each made it to 12.

Who has/had the oldest basenji here?

• Well, you already have me beat…my oldest will be 8 in a couple weeks. I know of lines that routinely live to 16ish. The oldest B I have known personally was 16. But I have heard of many that have lived to 17 and 18.

• Lucy is turning 5 tomorrow = )

• Missy just turned 7 December 13th! She is getting so old…I hope she lives to be 18 that would be SOOOOO GREAT...i love my baby girl.!!!

• We have a basenji lady here in Sweden which turned 17 recently! According to her owners she's still fit and in good shape, so we hope she'll stay so for many more years to come.

• I wish they would live until they're 50!! 🙂

• It brings me to tears to think of my baby not being here with me, my hubby and I both love our Sahara so much. This is our first Basenji, and we are so glad I saw this baby in a pet shop. I know that most of you don't like pet shops, but the fact remains that if I had not wondered in this one I would not have Sahara. We have only the 2 Basenji in our small town, so the chances of me knowing about this breed otherwise were miminal. It took my son who was with me hours to convince me I needed this baby, (she was quite expensive)but in the end I came home with her that same night. We love this breed now, and may end up with another one in the future, but not from a petshop, next time from a breeder. I hope and pray Sahara lives as long as she can be healthy, to the max of her expected lifespan. There will never be another Sahara, she is quite special, and soooooooo affectionate.

• The owner of the boy I used for my litter has had dogs of her breeding live to 20 years old. Most of her dogs live between 16-18 years.

• My Basenji is 15 years old this year in June. Shes still going strong, she cant see very well but that is about all that is wrong with her.

• We had a basenji with Cushing's who lived to almost 17 years old. We had another basenji with diabetes who lived to 12 years old. We had a really great vet who took great care of both dogs and who was honest with us when there was nothing else he could do. With good attention to the cushings, I think they can live very long lives.

• My understanding was that 15 was the "average" age for a Basenji.

Personally, I'm hoping for 20! I REALLY love this goofy dog!

• My Jojo is 11yrs and we just got her a little over two weeks ago from BRAT…We certainly hope she lives well into her teens...She only has hypothyroidism and is on Soloxine...

• I wish mine would live to 20…I love her to pieces and i know she feels the same about me...she would give her life to save me...i know...she already tried...scared me half to death...a dog attacked me a big ol lab and she jumped in only being so small...and of course I had to jump in and save her...i ended up being bit on the hand and had a HUGE wound there....but i saved my lil dog....like she tried to save me...well I hope she doesnt try some stunts like that again cuz I would die if she wasnt with me...she means to the world to me...she is my baby dog....:) but ya 20 would be great for her if she lived that long....:D

• Have two Fred 15 and Oddie 7 . Fred still going strong give him glucosamine and chondroitin (comes in nuto brand natural choice from pet smart .seems to help joint pain.He was prescribed phenobarb for siezures .He still opens the fridge and helps himself to anything left on the bottom shelf .Sence the glucosmine he is getting to the second and onto the first shelf where all the good left overs are hunted .

• Our Black Magic lived to be 17 1/2 before we had to let her go to the bridge. She welcomed new basenji pups into our house, played with them and then almost overnight she was not Magic anymore, her eyes said it was time to go, and we did with great sorrow, but loved her too much to make her stay. She was a wonder, both of our kids grew up with her, learned to walk pulling up on her, she never growled at them or lost patience with the kids. She was a wonderful protector. As long as my husband was home, plumbers, electricians etc could come in the house and she would never even get up from her place. But let me be home with the kids and a service person needed to come in I had to hold her back from them, she wanted them out of her house and away from her people pack. My friends she had no problem with.

• My BRAT permanent foster, Annie, is 16 1/2, will be 17 in December. I am just trying to keep her comfortable since she has arthritis and neurological problems. She has eye and hearing problems also but those are common in old age. She has a good appetite but it is hard to keep weight on her and she looks thin.

My Fanconi affected girl, Missy, will be 12 in December and is doing fine. One would never know she has Fanconi by looking at her.

• The fanconi protocal is heaven sent..I am glad your Missy is doing so well.
    My boy is going on 12 and getting a bit stiff in the legs and back, but we are still walking slowly and giving him what he needs to keep going!
    I sure love the "golden" ones.

• Blaze is 16 1/2, 17 in December. He has no front teeth, partial vision, and mostly deaf. He does have the no liver health issue. He's also stiff in the mornings, but man is he full of life. He routinely outruns the 7 year old border collie farm dog and the neighbour's 9 year old lab. On walks people always ask what breed and how old, then pause at Basenji and corrects me with months, not years. I usually have to explain and swear on the bible and sometimes, they still don't believe me.
    The oldest Basenji I knew was Sunny, he died a month away from 25. Three month before, he ran circles around Blaze (who was three).

• @dcmclcm4:

My BRAT permanent foster, Annie, is 16 1/2, will be 17 in December. I am just trying to keep her comfortable since she has arthritis and neurological problems. She has eye and hearing problems also but those are common in old age. She has a good appetite but it is hard to keep weight on her and she looks thin.

My Fanconi affected girl, Missy, will be 12 in December and is doing fine. One would never know she has Fanconi by looking at her.

Could check Annies blood sugar there are two tests for diabeities and my Fred was eating and drinking so much and still getting skinny .He was tested with the test strip and had his blood sent to a lab waiting on results.

• My sweet old guy will be 13 on December 21st.

Suggested Topics