• I am so sorry this happened to your b.
    I am also sorry that a Pit did it.
    That dog, if attacking other dogs, like he did to yours, will be a major
    issue to dog safety.

• Hope everything is okay today and that you both have calmed down.

• Thanks for your kind words, everyone!

Shango's doing fine. We were just shaken up. It was pretty scary, though. The dog literally LEAPT onto him, pinning him to the ground underneath her, chewing on him.

He has a bite mark on his snout, (it's healing already) and I gave him a rub-down per the vet to release any sore muscles.

He's fine, you know basenjis, they are tough little things, so the fact that he was literally mauled by a pit bull and walked away with a hurt snout? I'm thankful for their resilience!

• @AndrewnShango:

Thanks for your kind words, everyone!

Shango's doing fine. We were just shaken up. It was pretty scary, though. The dog literally LEAPT onto him, pinning him to the ground underneath her, chewing on him.

He has a bite mark on his snout, (it's healing already) and I gave him a rub-down per the vet to release any sore muscles.

He's fine, you know basenjis, they are tough little things, so the fact that he was literally mauled by a pit bull and walked away with a hurt snout? I'm thankful for their resilience!

Yes, be thankful. They are tough dogs (basenjis). I know Kananga would never attack a dog unless provoked (being defensive). I've seen him do it once and he was not afraid to take the other dog down who was twice his size, going at his neck. But he has never even growled at another dog that was not provoking anything.

• Andrew- I am so sorry about Shango.
    But glad he is feeling better.
    Which park were you at?
    Did they get they guys name- he needs to be banned from the park and his key taken back (if it was a dog park with a key).
    Anyway, I'd like to know.
    Thanks

• Thanks for everyone's thoughts towards Shango,

I think Leo and Nexa's family can attest- Shango is a DOCILE, FRIENDLY basenji so it was so sad to see him handled so roughly by another dog. He's friendly- leave him alone! 😃

The park is just a baseball field just off campus where we usually go with other dogs and they run around and get exercise. I KNEW something was off with this particular dog because they weren't a regular (the pups that usually play are the standard 5 or 6 dogs)

• Wow that must have been so scary! I"m so glad Shango (and you!) are ok!

• Glad to hear you both are doing well.

• I'm sorry that you and your Shango had this bad experience - it's unfortunate that some less than responsible folks frequent these places. I have however never been a fan of dog parks for a variety of reasons and this is one of them.

Disease is the other one - so a quick trip at your convenience to the vet would not be out of order.

Hope you have a better experience should you decide to go back.

• Houston

Oh My! So sorry! I know if it were Pearl I would be terrified! Poor Baby! I want to cry fo him. If you love him half as much as I love Peal, I'm sure you are devistated. (And I am sure you love him a much as I love Pearl) I pray Shango is fine and has no permanent injuries. Hugs him for me.

Suggested Topics