• You are more than welcome to come visit me and my gang anytime you'd like. 🙂

Sorry things didn't work out with Peabo, but it's understandable that she would want to keep him close. Maybe Dillon is a better alternative anyways? The good thing is there is a lot of word of mouth between breeders, so they may hear of someone who has an adult to place that might work out for you. Don't be afraid to contact other breeders that are closer to you too, even if there's nothing on their site, they may know of something available or would keep you in mind if something comes up later.

Andrea is right, Piggy may or may not be a truly dominant girl, but either way, you want a laid back submissive boy to pair with her. Two crazy dogs will definitely make your life crazy! lol A puppy is usually the best bet for introducing to an established dog, especially a dominant one. However the good thing with adding an adult is that you'll usually see their real side right away. A puppy may change behavior as they grow up and get away from their littermates and what starts out as a nice pairing might not work out later. But again, usually the puppy will work out better than an adult on average.

Regarding the Sundance guy, if it's who I think it is, then yes you want to steer clear. I don't know him but have heard about him from a few folks and I did run into some of the vet techs that see his dogs, at a booth for a pet expo. And when they saw my dogs they couldn't believe that the breed was actually nice! I had all 4 of mine on leash together and they walked up and gave kisses to the girls. Apparently his dogs have to come in the door muzzled. Also for health testing, if you don't see his dogs on OFA, that's probably another big clue.

• I've met Dillon. Dillon I remember as being more laid back than my boy Brando (also one of Eldorado's…one of their imports)...he played nicer than Brando. The only other thing I can remember is he is bigger than Brando (who is average in size)...Dylan is taller.

Again, I would ask them about his personality and how he might get on with a possibly dominant girl. They live with him on a day to day basis, so they will know all his quirks. Maybe ask him to describe what the sort of girl he is best matched with as a playmate.

• Oh, and regarding the OFA…I don't know about what if any tests they have done on him...probably depends on if they had plans on using him in their breeding program. Both his parents are clears for Fanconi so I'm sure they would wait for the direct test for that if they weren't going to breed him.

• Dillon does look very tall! I haven't heard back from Pam yet about him, I am assuming she is talking to whoever shows him (the someone in Cleveland maybe). We could make more than one trip to Cleveland if we had to, just to see how they got along.

I will put the word out to other breeders that we may be looking for an young adult. I'll give that route and rescues another couple months before we get serious about puppy talk and visiting Kelli and/or Andrea 🙂

• I know that BRAT is the larger rescue, but I have seen some smaller ones too. Are there any rescues that we should steer clear from?

• @kiroja:

And when they saw my dogs they couldn't believe that the breed was actually nice! I had all 4 of mine on leash together and they walked up and gave kisses to the girls. Apparently his dogs have to come in the door muzzled. Also for health testing, if you don't see his dogs on OFA, that's probably another big clue.

Your dogs are the sweetest, Kelli. We've met at the Pet Expo in Novi more than once over a couple years. I just love your furkids. Also met Tayda Lenny's kids too. You might remember me as the stranger obsessed with your kids - I initially owned a mix, now 2 and have learned so much about their intriguing characteristics.

Keeping with the thread - wrx227wrc - you're one of the lucky ones to have a resource like this forum.

• My first basenji, Duke, was from a guy in Ann Arbor named Eric Williams, that only really bred for show, not selling. Has anyone ever heard of him? That was how we ended up with Duke, he wasn't getting along with his dad and showing well. We got him at about 11 mos and he was fabulous.

• @wrx227wrc:

My first basenji, Duke, was from a guy in Ann Arbor named Eric Williams, that only really bred for show, not selling. Has anyone ever heard of him? That was how we ended up with Duke, he wasn't getting along with his dad and showing well. We got him at about 11 mos and he was fabulous.

Does he have a kennel name? Or what is Duke's registered name?

• Duke's name was Erictee's first choice ersal. I don't think he really had a kennel name, I think most of the dog's names started with Erictee's…which I suppose would was like his kennel name. I don't see anything on OFA, I just wondered if anyone in the show arena knew if he was still around 🙂

• @Duke:

Your dogs are the sweetest, Kelli. We've met at the Pet Expo in Novi more than once over a couple years. I just love your furkids. Also met Tayda Lenny's kids too. You might remember me as the stranger obsessed with your kids - I initially owned a mix, now 2 and have learned so much about their intriguing characteristics.

Thank you Jill! Yes, I remember you. 🙂 We enjoyed visiting with you and providing a little Basenji love. 🙂

• @wrx227wrc:

My first basenji, Duke, was from a guy in Ann Arbor named Eric Williams, that only really bred for show, not selling. Has anyone ever heard of him? That was how we ended up with Duke, he wasn't getting along with his dad and showing well. We got him at about 11 mos and he was fabulous.

Yep, I see Eric all the time. I'm not sure about a kennel name, I have seen him use both Erictee and/or Ersal on his dogs. His dogs mostly come from Donna Trouten (Moonlyte) I think. I believe she doesn't do Basenjis anymore but is active in another breed? Eric is like most of the other Michigan breeders, just has a litter every once in a while. Keeps a pup, works with it for a few years, then decides to have another litter. I know he has several breeds. Ridgebacks, Doxies, and maybe even Salukis come to mind. I know he has said he has issues with the Basenjis getting along well with the pack, so he has backed off and tries to just have one at a time now. lol I wasn't sure if he was going to do anything with Basenjis for a while, but I did hear from some other people that he did have a litter recently or added a pup from someone else maybe?

Eric is a great guy, and has a good eye for a nice Basenji. I don't know if and what health testing he does as a breeder though. But he is a good person to talk dogs with, very friendly and knowledgeable.

I believe Eric just got an AOM on one of his boys all 4 days in Louisville…

• @wrx227wrc:

Duke's name was Erictee's first choice ersal. I don't think he really had a kennel name, I think most of the dog's names started with Erictee's…which I suppose would was like his kennel name. I don't see anything on OFA, I just wondered if anyone in the show arena knew if he was still around 🙂

Eric is still showing Basenjis, but I think last I heard, he wasn't planning on doing anymore breeding. He has another breed as well. We usually see him out at shows several times a year. He is a really nice guy. I don't know anything about how much health testing he does.

• That's cool that you guys know him. I never met him. My ex-boyfriend went to get Duke from him after his parents met Eric at a pet expo. I was adamant against getting a dog at all, but of course, fell in love with Duke the second I saw him…even though he had just pooped all over my bed 🙂

I remember that he bred Ridgeback's too. I don't think he ever really bred basenjis to sell them and I don't see him on OFA with either name. We just ended up with Duke because he was far too independent to succeed in the show ring. He was gorgeous and incredibly well behaved and we were glad to end up with him... Just curious about Eric.

• Hey guys!

Pam from Eldorado got back to me about Dillon and said he would be available in a few months. She said they would place him on a 30-day trial basis, which I think is kind of neat. That way if he and Pig were a disaster we aren't bound to keep trying to make it work. Is that sort of arrangement common?

I think that we are probably going to try to go see him next month-ish. She said that they would be asking $800 for him. He will be two and a half then. The reason I want you guys' opinions on that is because you guys are probably more familiar with her dogs and reputation than I could make myself over the internet. Is that fair?

I don't know much about the showing world…His record on her website has "Picture best is sweeps at Potomac Hound Show 07 and Hudson River Valley...5 points, one major, and a puppy group 2." His parents are C-Quest's Last Laugh and Eldorado's Wysteria.

The money if definitely more than we would like to spend but for a perfect fit and a somewhat trained dog it may be worth our time and energy 🙂

• Is it a common arrangement with responsible breeders placing an adult dog… as the key is the home.. and that it works... and if it doesn't the dog comes back to the owner/breeder...

As far as the price.. it is a fair price... you know health wise what you are getting... but... that said... to me the home is the most important.. not the money that is received or charged.... and you are getting a dog from a responsible breeder, one that has health tested... and one that will take him back if it doesn't work and they will be connected to you for life... wanting to know all about him and what/how he is doing.. They have put time and money into him.. and they are just trying to cover their cost... really no different then a puppy... you will not have the "puppy" stage...gggg that is sometimes a plus... depending on what you want....

Are there strings about having him neutered?... or will he be neutered at that time?

• Thanks, Pat!

We do have to get him neutered, but would anyway. There is a low cost place that all the vets rave about around here that does it for $65, so that isn't a problem.

I definitely feel comfort in the fact that if it really doesn't work we are not stuck with a stressful disaster on our hands.

I was thinking the whole puppy vs. adult issue…do you guys think you bond less with a dog that you get when it is older as compared to a puppy? Or in their long lifespan does it really all come out the same in the end?

• This has been an interesting thread to watch, though it doesn't have any relevance to our situation. So…

Totally random injection of opinion and I don't know if you'd consider me qualified to comment since we've never had a B puppy. We have had other dogs as puppies, though, I've never been as bonded to any dog (and I'm old - we've had a few dogs :p) as I am to our two basenjis, each of which we got as an adult (one at 3, one at 4). IME B's are smart creatures, and they know when they're loved (um, and fed, spoiled, etc) and they return the favor, no matter how old they are when you connect.

• @wrx227wrc:

I was thinking the whole puppy vs. adult issue…do you guys think you bond less with a dog that you get when it is older as compared to a puppy? Or in their long lifespan does it really all come out the same in the end?

I foster for BRAT and the fosters even in the short time I have had them (not longer than a month) have bonded and fit in very well in our family. The reports I have seen regarding my fosters in their new homes, have shown the same. The last boy I had was kept outside all the time and was very skiddish but he came around quickly to us and even in just a few days time has started to bond with the new owners. It did take him longer to get in the swing of things with my B but in time he came around.

As far as us, I didn't bond less to them.

Good Luck!

• I have 2 b's that I got as adults from Pam…Ruby and Brando (technically a foster). Both came on a 30 day trial to see that they fit into my home situation. Both are really bonded to me and my family...I don't remember it taking any time for that to happen. Ruby was a little skittish around my brother (he is 6'5"...so I think she had never seen someone his size) for the first month she was here...now she jumps up in his lap when she needs to get away from Brando :D. I added a b puppy to the mix about a month ago. To me, there is no difference to me as to how Aaliyah (pup) has bonded with me, vs. how Ruby & Brando bonded with me.

Money wise, I'll spend a lot more on the puppy than I will have on the adults because they came to me with all of the testing already done. Initial cost of pup, puppy shot vet visits, obedience training, (in my case, show handling classes), wellness exams, CERF, hips, patellas. Now with Brando & Ruby (because they have been bred), I will still have CERF, thyroid and wellness done, but in general, I think an adult costs less than a puppy until they become seniors.

I too think the price is fair. Because I know Pam & Sheila well and visit with them often, I know what they put into their dogs and all the testing that they do. I'm really amazed at it all...and the money they put in. All you have to do is look at the OFA site and put in Eldorado and you see all the testing they do.

Based on what you wrote, I think they are having a friend of theirs finish Dillon and then he'll be available as a pet.

• @wrx227wrc:

I think you can find success with either option. An adult simply takes a bit more time but they do come around. I got my B when he was about 7-8months old. I'd say it took a solid month or two for him to fully adjust but he did just fine. He's been with me 4 months now and i'd say the bond is very noticeable. He always wants my attention and wants to be nearby. Usually sleep up against me when i'm watching tv.

I went this route solely because I knew I would not have the time to watch over a puppy. I've been through it before and I know the dedication it takes. It was simply not my cup of tea. I was more than happy to take the extra bonding time with an older puppy. Housebreaking was easy (less than 10 days he was fully adjusted), he slept through the nights fine, and he did not have those sharp puppy teeth.

There are pros and cons to both options. Go with what works best for you.

Suggested Topics