• Lisa brought up a good point. I think we are going to install covers on the nobs to keep them from being potentially knocked

• Oh my gosh, I am so glad that they are okay. How did your talk with the cleaner go?

• I told my DH about your experience and he says "Yet another reason not to have housecleaners." Guess it's become a habit for me to make sure all burners are off after cleaning the front of the stove.

Why was the gas on with no flame? Although it's not the safest situation, at least there are no fumes… I can't turn on my oven/stove without a flame to eat up the gas...

Or were the cleaners behind the appliance and accidentally disconnected the gas feed? (That's why I never pull mine out to clean...LOL!).

Anyways, glad everybody's okay!

• we have a gas stove and you have to turn the nob to a certain point to kick on the flame. The cleaners just turned the nob half way between the light and off switch so gas was coming out. It is a brand new stove since our house is only 6mts old, yet I wonder why appliances are still so unsafe!

• How scary!!!! Glad your kids are safe! I agree…. fire the cleaners! You could have lost the dogs, plus everything else you own!

• @Vanessa:

we have a gas stove and you have to turn the nob to a certain point to kick on the flame. The cleaners just turned the nob half way between the light and off switch so gas was coming out. It is a brand new stove since our house is only 6mts old, yet I wonder why appliances are still so unsafe!

That is interesting, because the people I know who have gas stoves have to push the knob in, then turn it to a certain point in order for it to first bleed gas…then there is a pop, pop, pop noise indicating the gas is coming out and then just past that the flame lights. The noise doesn't stop unless the flame lights. The gas stoves they have are Dacor and Wolf. Even the condo I used to be in 5 years ago had a gas stove that you had to push in the knob and turn it quite a ways over in order to get to the point that the gas comes out. And actually now that I think about it, that had an audible noise to it as well. That was a GE. I didn't think they made gas stoves now without the audible indicator or push in knobs...interesting. You'd think that in this day and age those would be basic safety features. Guess I know I'll be looking for those features when I switch the house to gas for cooking and for the generator next year.

• Glad it turned out ok.
    Wow, what a scare.

• OMG that is terrible!!! You must have been mortified when you walked in… I know that I would not have the cleaners back either.:mad: Just to see them in my house again would make my stomach turn! I am so glad the furbabys are OK, things could have easily been worse...

• OMG very happy to read you're all ok!

I alway was afraid our cat turned the gas on, now we don't have gas anymore

• @renaultf1:

That is interesting, because the people I know who have gas stoves have to push the knob in, then turn it to a certain point in order for it to first bleed gas…then there is a pop, pop, pop noise indicating the gas is coming out and then just past that the flame lights.

that's how ours is. We have a toddler in the house, so most often we just pull the knobs off and keep them up high, near the stove. this way they can't accidently be turned on.

Suggested Topics