• @MomOfMya:

Okay, okay. You're the bomb!!

I didn't post to get a response or validation, I posted in response to a question in this thread asked by dmcarty. She was wondering if it was still common practice to have dewclaws done, and I answered for myself and the breeders in my area that I know.

In response Janneke's post, I described why it is done in the USA and the response I got from the breeders I spoke to.

You are taking offense to posts that are not even directed at you. Even the thyroid comments were someone wondering aloud about something the vet had said to them.

• Thanks Jill. She does do me proud. Don't let her fool you though - she's still a stinker!

• @tanza:

Yes tail docking and ears are still done in the US… but I never heard that reason for tails? While I do agree on doing dew claws, I don't agree with tail docking or doing ears

We see the reason for docking tails alot at the shelter. For working dogs that do their work in close quarters, bleeding tails and infection can be a real problem. In the shelter the problem is caused by them being in kennel runs and them beating their tails against the concrete run causing them to bleed. Most modern dogs are not going to be working in the types of conditions that are going to cause a problem, but I can see where tail damage was the reason behind these practices developing.

• @MomOfMya:

Mya is not overweight. I'm sure it is the angle and the lighting. I am a responsible owner and Mya is well taken care of. Since I own a basenji now I'm knowledgeable enough to ask the appropriate questions of the breeder. I did not post this picture for everyone to point and frown. I most certainly did not post for anyone's disapproval of my breeders either.

My feelings are hurt and I'm not exactly clear on what to think of some of the perfectly opinionated people on this site.

I'm sorry if I upset you, it was not at ALL my intention! 😞

• @lvoss:

I didn't post to get a response or validation, I posted in response to a question in this thread asked by dmcarty. She was wondering if it was still common practice to have dewclaws done, and I answered for myself and the breeders in my area that I know.

In response Janneke's post, I described why it is done in the USA and the response I got from the breeders I spoke to.

You are taking offense to posts that are not even directed at you. Even the thyroid comments were someone wondering aloud about something the vet had said to them.

Lisa, I sincerely do apologize to you. What I said to you was inappropriate. I took offense to the "responsible breeder" comment and I know your intention wasn't to point your finger at me. Please accept my apology. 😞

• @AndrewnShango:

I'm sorry if I upset you, it was not at ALL my intention! 😞

No worries.

• The thing I don't get is, why the hell is the fourth comment some random question about fanconi? What does that have to do with anything? I thought that was completely out of place…it is such a random question that even if it wasn't meant as an attack I could see how someone could take it that way. I am assuming maybe cause of the third post about how Mya came from a great breeder (I dont know)? Must we REALLY bring up the fanconi question everytime the word breeder is even mentioned? I am afraid it can be overkill to the point where people are gonna start not taking it seriously cause its EVERYWHERE from a select few people, I am afraid they are just gonna start thinking those people are extreme, and that its not a big deal, even though it is not the case. I think a few well placed questions, or some sticky posts, or other things is plenty. I totally agree its a horrible disease, and I understand why you are fighting so hard for it, but I hope you realize that more times than not it seems you are pissing people off and not really getting the effect you are hoping for...its just overkill. I can't even count the amount of members in the last year who have felt attacked or offended by the fanconi question...maybe that should tell us something.

Like I said, I understand its a worthwhile thing to educate about, but come on, in this thread it was totally random. MomofMya was just trying to show off a nice picture, fanconi has NOTHING to do with this...I still dont understand why the question was even asked, it makes no sense. Just completely out of place, and in my opinion, inappropriate. To me, it would be like if I posted a picture of my family online for Christmas or something, and people started asking "do you test for blood pressure regularly? What about cholesterol?" That would just be weird, and of course I would be offended!

All I am saying is lets just think about our comments and how others may take them, and keep the fanconi stuff in its appropriate places...

By the way, beautiful picture of Mya...you should be very proud!

• I am coming in late with this…but fanconis testing questions are something that should be asked and done.
    Re dew claws. As a rescue person, that is one way I know the dog who is in rescue came from a non-show breeder.
    I don't think I have ever seen dew claws on a show basenji....

• That's why I'm asking about dew claws - since I typically work harder to find owner/breeder if I see dew claws removed because I KNOW the puppy mills, and back yard breeders or even less informed breeders around me don't and if I see a dog with dew claws - I don't typically try as hard to see if the breeder wants them back.

IF however more and more reputable breeders are NOT removing dew claws - it is useful information.

re: overweight - god forbid there ever be a picture posted of me 🙂

• I also think that if the dog has dew claws, it was not in a show/responsible home.
    I know all the quality breeders in the PNW remove dew claws and that overseas they have different rules/thinking.

• re: Fanconi - NO ONE SHOULD EVER HAVE TO UNKNOWINGLY DEAL WITH A FANCONI DOG - NO ONE - NO MATTER WHERE YOUR DOG CAME FROM.

We are passionate about it because we (basenji club members and responsible breeders) have been funding and supporting and trying every thing possible with this horrid disease. We take ownership of it almost as much as if we were doing the tests personally ourselves whether we were actively involved in it or not.

We also are the ones who get the calls from crying owners - who had been told "I don't have any fanconi in my line." when they get the diagnosis for their dog. Seems like giving people the questions to ask up front - is a lot better than people saying that they 'didn't know'.

In advertising - the rule of thumb has always been - in print you have to see something 11 times before it even begins to register. So while you may be on your 15th time - someone else on the list may be on the 1st.

We should have a stickie (or do we and I don't see it) that says: before you buy - tips to know that your breeder is responsible/or not.

• You only have to live with one fanconis basenji to make you rabid on having dogs who are breeding, tested.
    It only take this heartbreak once…and we are trying to save others from it.

• People!! You need to stop stomping on my thread. Remove it!!! This was NOT a thread for FANCONI or ANY OTHER ISSUES! It was a posting to SHOW OFF MY DOG!!! If you want to rant and rave find a different thread. GOD! All you people want to do is sit and point your flippin' fingers.

• If you don't like what people are posting then just don't read it and stop responding to it. Sometimes threads take a turn and the more someone responds the more it will continue in that direction. This is a discussion forum and just like any discussion they occasionally take detours from their original topic.

Relax, ignore what you don't want to read and it will eventually flow back to orginal topic or it will fade as a topic of discussion altogether.

• @lvoss:

If you don't like what people are posting then just don't read it and stop responding to it. Sometimes threads take a turn and the more someone responds the more it will continue in that direction. This is a discussion forum and just like any discussion they occasionally take detours from their original topic.

Relax, ignore what you don't want to read and it will eventually flow back to orginal topic or it will fade as a topic of discussion altogether.

Thanks Lisa. Again, I am truly sorry about earlier.

• Debi, are you ok?
    You seem to be very reactive to what is going on in this thread…
    Not a slam, just a question.
    We really are all here to help each other.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Debi, are you ok?
    You seem to be very reactive to what is going on in this thread…
    Not a slam, just a question.
    We really are all here to help each other.

Geez Sharon, I think I'm okay. I posted on Show Off Your Dog and got a slathering of info that I really didn't need. I realize that this info wasn't for me. But gosh, let me have my day. It's just that does everybody that posts a pic of their Beloved B get this kind of response? I mean, really, fourth post was hoping that Mya's parents were tested for Fanconi. Now, doesn't that seem odd to you? Put a scare into someone that just wanted to show off their dog? Mya's parents were tested. Do I have to scream it to the Basenji Forums so that people (same person mind you) stop "hoping that her parents were tested". I mean, c'mon, I just wanted to share a picture of Mya. I realize what a horrible thing Fanconi is. I'm not trying to demean it - but I was just posting a picture. Then with the dew claws…..Mya's breeders are respectable breeders. Both the dam and the sire are racers. They are not show dogs. I understand why some people would react to the pup still having dew claws but geesh do they have to judge the responsibility of anyone? Some people should just show some respect for others' choices. My belief is not to amputate unless truly necessary. My belief is to make sure that my dogs have regular visits to the vet. Nobody really cares about that though. They're just pushing that they're the best breeders and nobody else that breeds B's gives a damn. That's just not true. I realize that there are bad breeders out there. I realize the importance of stopping the puppy mills. But, by God I made a choice and I'm very happy with that choice.

Uggghhh.....so yes, Sharon, I'm okay for now. I've said my peace.

• Momofmya She's a Cutie 🙂 I love when they lay down like that they look like there saying " uhh huh I am royalty now where's my Loving" ??? LOL When are u getting the New puppy ?? augh i miss puppy breath 😞 But not the puppy stage training ect lol

• @phoenix3:

Momofmya She's a Cutie 🙂 I love when they lay down like that they look like there saying " uhh huh I am royalty now where's my Loving" ??? LOL When are u getting the New puppy ?? augh i miss puppy breath 😞 But not the puppy stage training ect lol

The litter is due in about 7 days. I can barely contain myself. As for the training, I'll stay home for the first week with the pup and my DH will stay home for the second week. So that's two full weeks with undivided attention for him. Sigh….I wish I were a dog.

• @MomOfMya:

The litter is due in about 7 days. I can barely contain myself. As for the training, I'll stay home for the first week with the pup and my DH will stay home for the second week. So that's two full weeks with undivided attention for him. Sigh….I wish I were a dog.

That's great news MomOfMya ! That way we can exchange info and pictures and tales … Me too I'm waiting impatiently for the hamster to arrive (we made a reservation for a puppy in March ...)
    BTW I have more luck 😃 ... I'm retired since the 1st of September ;).

Greetings from Belgium:)

Suggested Topics