• Here is Mya, almost 1-year old now. I think she looks like she's waiting patiently for her new brother or sister. Or she could be planning the next attack on the cat!

• Oh what a beauty !!! M or F ?
    Very nice picture ! 🙂

• Mya is a female. She came from a great breeder here in Missouri.

• Hopefully they have been (the sire and dam) DNA tested for Fanconi

• Also, thyroid disorders are a concern to watch for.

She looks a bit over-weight and I know when my Shango was just a pound overweight, the vet had a serious talk with me because weight is such a dangerous issues for B's.

• oh she's a beauty and so intense. Congrats!
    Andrew, I know weight gain is a serious issue for all dogs but I'm just wondering why so much more dangerous for a basenji?

• I was thinking the same thing… I think it is dangerous for all dogs... Not just B's in particular... however that said, it is good the Vet addresses the issue...

• Pretty Mya 🙂 Lovely photo!

• @lauralopez:

oh she's a beauty and so intense. Congrats!
    Andrew, I know weight gain is a serious issue for all dogs but I'm just wondering why so much more dangerous for a basenji?

My vet told me that the breed gains weight slightly easier than most breeds and that it's very easy for basenjis to become overweight, and in turn lazy and in turn causing a myriad of different problems…..

Wow, she IS a beautiful girl! More pics of Mya!

• @AndrewnShango:

My vet told me that the breed gains weight slightly easier than most breeds and that it's very easy for basenjis to become overweight, and in turn lazy and in turn causing a myriad of different problems…..

Wow, she IS a beautiful girl! More pics of Mya!

I don't think that is true… at least not in my experience

• I agree - the only time I have over weight basenjis is when someone has a false pregnancy. I also have a question about the retained dew claws in the picture.

It's my experience that most of us remove dew claws. But I see that they remain in the picture - so that leads me to another question - is everyone still removing dew claws or not? I know that many times I guage the relative quality of the dog in rescue and the decision on trying to find the breeder on if there are dew claws or not - but if many ,other than BYB and PM's, are leaving them on guess I can't use that - so - folks - chime in. Your basenji dew claws on or not?

My Podengos came to me with dew claws on the front intact but it is because like many FCI countries they don't dock, clip etc.

• I do dew claws and so do all the responsible breeders that I know in California.

• @lvoss:

I do dew claws and so do all the responsible breeders that I know in California.

Are you saying that breeders that do not remove dew claws are irresponsible??

• Mya is not overweight. I'm sure it is the angle and the lighting. I am a responsible owner and Mya is well taken care of. Since I own a basenji now I'm knowledgeable enough to ask the appropriate questions of the breeder. I did not post this picture for everyone to point and frown. I most certainly did not post for anyone's disapproval of my breeders either.

My feelings are hurt and I'm not exactly clear on what to think of some of the perfectly opinionated people on this site.

• @MomOfMya:

Are you saying that breeders that do not remove dew claws are irresponsible??

Yes, in the US it is standard to remove dew claws…. that along with health testing before breeding...

• Sorry that your feelings are hurt regarding breeders. But if a breeder is not testing and no results on public database (www.offa.org) then they are not responsible. When people breed and do not test (especially for Fanconi) then they are part of the problem, not part of the solution to rid our breed of serious genetic health concerns. It is not fair to the dog or the people that purchase what they think is a health pup only to find out 3 to 10 yrs later that they have a dog that now needs 20 to 30 pills a day to be kept alive

• While there are overweight Basenji's (I know of one who weighs in at 40 lbs), I don't think it can be assessed that Mya is overweight. How can you tell from a photo of her lying in the shadows? She has lovely colour, her expression is good, from what I can tell her leg muscle is good on the front. Don't take offense. Because some Basenji's have looser skin, sometimes it looks they carry a lot of weight around the neck area. My Sugar does. I also believe in many places in Europe, it is illegal to remove dew claws.

• @tanza:

Sorry that your feelings are hurt regarding breeders. But if a breeder is not testing and no results on public database (www.offa.org) then they are not responsible. When people breed and do not test (especially for Fanconi) then they are part of the problem, not part of the solution to rid our breed of serious genetic health concerns. It is not fair to the dog or the people that purchase what they think is a health pup only to find out 3 to 10 yrs later that they have a dog that now needs 20 to 30 pills a day to be kept alive

Who ever said the breeder isn't testing? I know I didn't. People are just jumping to conclusions here.

• @nomrbddgs:

While there are overweight Basenji's (I know of one who weighs in at 40 lbs), I don't think it can be assessed that Mya is overweight. How can you tell from a photo of her lying in the shadows? She has lovely colour, her expression is good, from what I can tell her leg muscle is good on the front. Don't take offense. Because some Basenji's have looser skin, sometimes it looks they carry a lot of weight around the neck area. My Sugar does. I also believe in many places in Europe, it is illegal to remove dew claws.

Thanks for the info. I don't think a breeder is irresponsible for not removing dew claws. Personally, I think it's cruelty.

• @dmcarty:

I agree - the only time I have over weight basenjis is when someone has a false pregnancy.

Jazzy becomes overweight if she LOOKS at food. I have to monitor her diet fairly closely.

She takes after her human mama that way~~except I'm not as good at monitoring MY diet. :p

Suggested Topics