• I went to the vet today and brought a pile of papers I printed from OFA. I just wanted some guidance as to what we need to have Mick test for. I was mainly concerned with Fanconi. My vet told me not to get any testing done because I'm not breeding Mick. He said it's worthless because Fanconi is hereditary and there is no cure. I said it can be controlled though right? He shrugged it off and told me the internet was evil. Man oh man what the hell??? 😕

• Get another vet.
    Yes, its important for breeders, but its also very important to know if your dog is going to come down with it.
    Dump that vet and find someone more progressive.
    What a jerk.

• Sorry, I don't agree with your vet. If you would like to test your B for fanconi, it's your choice, not the vet's. While Fanconi is hereditary, and as of now there is not cure, there is a Fanconi protocol, and when caught early enough most B's do quite well on it. The earlier you catch it the better. And, IMO, if your are concerned about it-do the test. They do have a cheek swab test now, so no blood needs to be drawn. On the website you can order a test kit, costs about $65.00 US. Here is the website:
    http://caninephenome.org/

• Exactly, get another VET.. and yes, now you can use the Cheek Swab… and duh... we know that it is hereditary.... that is why we worked so hard for the DNA test.... I would also direct him to the Basenji Club of America site and the Basenji Club Endowment site... and ask him to do some reading... www.basenjihealth.org

And it can be treated (some dogs do really well, some do not… depends on how well they accept 20 to 30 pills a day) but you really are better off knowing if your pup is DNA'ed as an affected, then you know that you must strip test him/her monthly.

And again, what a jerk to say that... no tests are necessary? Like he doesn't think that eye exams by a certified Ophth is important? Or Thyroid panels? Or bad patellas/hips?

• I suggest you go to Dr. Gonto's site and print up the information on treatment protocol to give to your vet.

My vet admittedly doesn't know a lot, but once Jazz came back as probably affected he was delighted to get the printed info to study, then keep in her file
    for the future.

He loves it when people give him updates and info that he may not be aware of.

• My first vet was very similar in attitude to what you describe. I very quickly got tired of having to justify to my vet why knowing the health status of my dog was important. To me that should be a "DUH!" sort of thing for a vet. Each time a requested a test, their response was "Is he acting sick?" and when I said "No" then they would say "Then why test?" I should not have to tell my vet that testing is important so I know if there is anything I can do to make sure that my dog is as healthy as possible by being proactive instead of reactive and allowing damage to occur before doing anything about it.

Give the vet the information, but start looking for a new vet.

• First, I would test your B and next dump your vet. There are plenty of knowledgeable vets who are open to learning and treating your B to keep them happy and healthy!!

• I would follow Sharla's advice, but in a different order with dump the vet first.

• Do we have an update?? Did you find a new vet or get the issue resolved with the old vet? Just curious.

• Wow! I'm so blown away by his remarks that I don't know where to start! Wonder how he'd feel if HIS physician felt that way. I assume his wife doesn't get a mammagram and he doesn't bother getting a PSA. Forget colonoscopies in his family! And where would we be if medicine in general was based on his "screw it; there's no cure" philosophy!? We'd still be bleeding people. One of the most important keys to treating and ultimately finding a cure for any disease is early detection and locating genetic markers.

As for the internet being evil in regards to medical information….Yes, there is a lot of garbage out there and you have to make sure your sources are good sources. But it can be a real boon. Almost 7 years ago one of our sons was badly injured and was going to need neurosurgery. We had 3 different consultants telling us that the situation was "grim" and each proposed a different way to surgically solve it. We searched the internet and discovered than one method (the most far out sounding surgery that was proposed) was newer and more cutting edge and had the best chance for a successful outcome. It really helped us decide which surgeon and which treatment to go with and the outcome was far better than any of us could have imagined at the time! We could not have made an really informed decision without the assistance of internet research!! Nope...the internet is not evil.

I agree that if there is another option for a vet where you live, you should find one. You will always wonder if this one is doing all that can be done for your Mick!

(Whoops! I realize now that this is an older thread but I've been really busy and just now saw it.)

Pat

• On the opposite side - when I asked my vet about getting a blood sample to test for Fanconi's, he at least knew what it was and was very helpful in getting the sample sent in. Then he kept asking if I had recieved results. I copied the information about the protocoal and gave that to him and he was so appreciative and said he would read it right away and actually said he was always willing to learn new things. I think I'll keep my vet 🙂

• Info sent from BCOA:
    Improved Methodology For FANCONI LINKAGE Tests: FTA Paper / Saliva Option

A new process has been implemented for ordering Fanconi tests that uses saliva rather than blood for sample collection using FTA paper. Dr Johnson may still request blood for some research projects, but in many cases, the FTA paper will satisfy that requirement. The new procedure will also allow you to check the status of your test request online with use of a conformation code that will be emailed to you when the order is placed.

You can now order a test on the internet and pay by credit card. The price the kit and test will be $65 to cover the cost of the kit and mailing.

The test can be ordered from one of two websites:

1- The The Canine Phenome Project website

From the dogs profile page in this site, click Fanconi Test. This will link you directly to the OFA site to order the test kit.

2- The OFA site. [[url]www.offa.org]
    Go to the "OFA DNA Testing" link on the OFA website

The test kit will allow the use of saliva applied to a special paper card that can then be returned to the lab. The special paper (FTA paper) will supply enough DNA samples for over twenty tests so when the direct marker is found, no further DNA collection will be required. Adding the dog to the Canine Phenome site is still required before results will be sent, but the ordering the test kit is a separate entry at this point.

The kit consists of the

FTA card
    Foam swab to collect the saliva
    Instructions
    Labels for mailing to the University of Missouri
    Any tests in progress from the previous procedure will be completed.

The OFA and the University of Missouri have entered into a cooperative agreement to offer this new procedure.

Thank you!

Suggested Topics