• My dog is due for some shots including distemper. I'd rather do titers testing but the last time I talked to my vet he didn't know where to send the sample to.
    Does anyone out there in the north east (PA, MD, VA) area do titers? If you do will you please tell me send me your lab or vet info so I can pass it to my vet?

Thanks,

Karen

• here is one location. I think if you google titer test you can find others

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/titer_test.htm

• I do believe having the titers.
    I have not had to give my b's yearly shot for a while now.
    We do have to do rabies, but I do think they are trying to get that extended as well.
    Too many shots make our breed sick.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I do believe having the titers.
    I have not had to give my b's yearly shot for a while now.
    We do have to do rabies, but I do think they are trying to get that extended as well.
    Too many shots make our breed sick.

I think you are right. I still believe that the distemper boosters are what gave my last dog distemper. No vet would agree to that but the veterinary neurologist she went to said that he advocated titers testing vs. annual boosters.

• We do titers every year, and a rabies shot every 3 years. No one has needed any shots for the last 4 or 5 that I have been titer-ing. The less medicine, the better!

Anne in Tampa

• Good news! My own vet now does titers testing!! Less than 6 months ago he didn't. I guess he's been getting a lot of requests. I have noticed that he is seeing more show and agility dogs and some of his own vet techs own some of those. Hooray!!

• @lvoss:

http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/

I've never heard of a titer test..😕 Is it a blood test - what is the procedure?

Lisa - I linked in here for the reading. The way I understand it is - once the puppy is vaccinated, subsequent vaccinations are a waste because antibodies from the first vaccine block vaccines.

For Distemper and Parvo, plasma cells produce antibodies and program memory cells that persist for life. I sensed they are convinced.

For Bordetella in dogs, an injectable vaccine does not provide mucosal immunity. An intranasal vaccine is now available. BUT they do not indicate if it's a lifetime immunity like for Distemper and Parvo. (I might assume that it is if it creates immunity.) Then they say it doesn't protect from infection, but would provide a lesser degree of symptoms. So I'm confused 😕 about how often this vaccine should be administered.

For Corona, they say adult dogs do not get disease from the Corona virus. So they don't need that vaccine once they're adults? Again - confused 😕

Coincidently, I made an appointment for Duke & Daisy because they're due for thier heartworm (blood) test and vaccines. I called today to get the specifics shots due on their record.

Duke needs another Bordetella and Distemper-DHLPP-Corona
    Daisy needs another Bordetella, Distemper-DHLPP-Corona & Rabies (3 yr)

I'm thinking about just doing the heartworm test for both and Rabies for Daisy. I don't want them getting what they don't need. I remember Duke having an adverse reaction to the Bordetella. He was miserable for 8-10 hours afterwards.

• Was the Bordetella the "nose" spray?… that can make them miserable.. of course if you are going to board your dog at a kennel.. it is required... other then that.. not sure it is really necessary... certainly rabies and heartworm it.. since unless you give heartworm year round.. before you restart you need to test first... me... I give year round... but if you are not going to give shots you do need to titer... and intranasal has been around for years.. I have never done shots, only the nasel spray... there is never a lifetime immunity for kennel cough (bordetella)... and they are right.. it would just give a lesser degree of the symptoms... and you would give once a year..
    I don't give Corona.. ever, nor do I give Lepto... ever...
    And the accepted protocol is now every 3 yrs after the 1st year... that would be after the pups first series of shots and then the follow up shots when they were over 1yr. After that it would be every 3yrs...
    Daisy being just over a yr (I think that is right) would need DHLPP (which would include distemper) and of course Rabies... I would not give Corona but again IMO and if the DHLPP has Lepto, I would ask that they do the shot without Lepto... I have seen and had way to many that had reactions to Lepto...

• @Duke:

For Distemper and Parvo, plasma cells produce antibodies and program memory cells that persist for life. I sensed they are convinced.

This is what studies are beginning to show. That after the 1 year booster shot immunity in most dogs is probably lifetime though the current recommendation by vet schools and vets is to vaccinate every 3-5 years unless you are doing titers.

@Duke:

For Bordetella in dogs, an injectable vaccine does not provide mucosal immunity. An intranasal vaccine is now available. BUT they do not indicate if it's a lifetime immunity like for Distemper and Parvo. (I might assume that it is if it creates immunity.) Then they say it doesn't protect from infection, but would provide a lesser degree of symptoms. So I'm confused 😕 about how often this vaccine should be administered.

Bordatella gives a maximum of 3-4 months of protection. It is usually recommended that you give it if you are going to board your dog.

@Duke:

For Corona, they say adult dogs do not get disease from the Corona virus. So they don't need that vaccine once they're adults? Again - confused 😕

My vet has never even suggested I vaccinate against this virus and I have never vaccinated against it.

If Daisy is turning 1 year old this year then I would do the DHLPP minus the L for lepto 2 -3 weeks apart from the Rabies vaccine and have the heartworm test done. I never give two shots on the same day because if there is a reaction, I want to know what caused it.

• Thanks for your advice Pat and Lisa - certainly gave me some things to consider. I should give the vet office a heads up before going on May 5th 'cause I wouldn't want them to pre-load the syringe with the DHLPP combination. I'll ask them to do a titer test on Duke instead. I wasn't giving either one of them heart worm in the Winter - but will start year round so I don't have to put them through the blood test every year. The cost of that is $24 each. The cost of the monthly chewable would probably be a little less overall without the the work.

I'm going to sort out their vaccine records - making sure I know exactly who got what already - I believe the DHLPP was included in the series of D & D's puppy shots. So is it wise to give Daisy (1 yr old) another booster with it? She will get her 3 yr Rabies this time. Duke got his last year.

• @Duke:

Thanks for your advice Pat and Lisa - certainly gave me some things to consider. I should give the vet office a heads up before going on May 5th 'cause I wouldn't want them to pre-load the syringe with the DHLPP combination. I'll ask them to do a titer test on Duke instead. I wasn't giving either one of them heart worm in the Winter - but will start year round so I don't have to put them through the blood test every year. The cost of that is $24 each. The cost of the monthly chewable would probably be a little less overall without the the work.

I'm going to sort out their vaccine records - making sure I know exactly who got what already - I believe the DHLPP was included in the series of D & D's puppy shots. So is it wise to give Daisy (1 yr old) another booster with it? She will get her 3 yr Rabies this time. Duke got his last year.

I would call and let them know exactly what you want…. and no IMO it is not necessary to give the same shot... especially if there is something in the shot you don't want them to have...

• @tanza:

Was the Bordetella the "nose" spray?… that can make them miserable.. of course if you are going to board your dog at a kennel.. it is required... other then that.. not sure it is really necessary… certainly rabies and heartworm it.. since unless you give heartworm year round.. before you restart you need to test first... me... I give year round... but if you are not going to give shots you do need to titer... and intranasal has been around for years.. I have never done shots, only the nasel spray... there is never a lifetime immunity for kennel cough (bordetella)... and they are right.. it would just give a lesser degree of the symptoms... and you would give once a year..
    I don't give Corona.. ever, nor do I give Lepto... ever...
    And the accepted protocol is now every 3 yrs after the 1st year… that would be after the pups first series of shots and then the follow up shots when they were over 1yr. After that it would be every 3yrs...
    Daisy being just over a yr (I think that is right) would need DHLPP (which would include distemper) and of course Rabies… I would not give Corona but again IMO and if the DHLPP has Lepto, I would ask that they do the shot without Lepto... I have seen and had way to many that had reactions to Lepto…

Answering the 1st question about the Bordetella - I think it was a shot. I don't remember a nasal spray with him. He had a chronic kennel cough when we brought him home (poor puppy) plus worms. I was in a state of "saving" him, leaving it to the vets to cure him - it could have been the DHLPP all-in-one shot. So maybe it was from the Lepto… Now that I'm more relaxed - and more informed - I'll be paying close attention to details.

And the accepted protocol is now every 3 yrs after the 1st year… that would be after the pups first series of shots and then the follow up shots when they were over 1yr. After that it would be every 3yrs...

Are you referring to the Rabies shot specifically or the DHPP (no L)?

• The DHPP, is now recommended by 90% of Vets after the first year be done every three years, just like Rabies.

• @tanza:

The DHPP, is now recommended by 90% of Vets after the first year be done every three years, just like Rabies.

OK thanks. Sorry - feeling confused 😕 again - I'm on a learning curve on this. The info in Lisa's link indicated specifically that Distemper and Parvo immunites are for life. That leaves Hepatitus and Parainfluenza out there (every 3 years?) What I need to do is dive into learning more about the titer test to eliminate unnecessary vaccines.

• The reason why most vets still recommend boosters every 3 years is because most people will not pay for the titers to be done and some dogs will not get lifetime immunity from Parvo and Distemper after the 1 year booster. So they err on the side of caution and go with the what studies are showing to be the shortest span of protection.

• @Kebasmom:

My dog is due for some shots including distemper. I'd rather do titers testing but the last time I talked to my vet he didn't know where to send the sample to.
    Does anyone out there in the north east (PA, MD, VA) area do titers? If you do will you please tell me send me your lab or vet info so I can pass it to my vet?

Thanks,

Karen

Karen - I seem to be having the same problem with our vet. They don't do titers testing. I asked if they would and how much it cost. That was this morning - it's now 6:15 pm and just got a call from a vet tech. Said she talked to the Vet and that if it was done, it would include testing for multiple-multiple diseases, i.e. (6) tests for 6 Distemper diseases, and so on….And, she didn't find out what the cost of each test was - more like discouraging me from the titers test. So I asked if the vet would be able to refer me to a vet that does the tests...Well that'll have to be looked into on Monday - they're busy. :mad:

To those who do have the titers test done annually - How much does it cost? I'd like to have a ballpark figure to compare with my vets office price-if I get one on Monday.

Oh. and they don't have the intranasal Bordetella vaccines - shots only.

• You can always see about making your own shipping arrangements and send blood to Dr Dodd's lab. Her price list is on the web at
    http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/DrDoddsInstructions.htm

• Great idea Lisa! Thanks - I now have some prices too!

• I just looked at that price list and I couldn't believe her heartworm test was $15!! I was quoted $42 at my vet. I know he's not a cheap vet but he's familiar with basenjis. I really like the vet himself. But come on. That's ridiculous. They test it themselves there at the vet hospital and the results come back in 10-15 minutes. Could that be why it's so much more expensive? Thoughts? Should I have them draw blood during Zip's exam next week and send it in?

Suggested Topics