My baseni barked for the first time

• I never heard my dog make a sound but last week (after I had left her for a week with my brother who has 2 dogs, 2 cats and a parrot- an animal lover!) when I went to fetch her to take her back home, as soon as she saw me, she actually barked. We all went silent as this was a big surprise. I had heard bark briefly in her sleep but never when awake! A sign of joy and happiness?
    Do your dogs bark?:)

• Yup… sometimes mine will do a single bark. The one of mine that does it most ofter in Jamari.... he would "boof" quite a few times in a row.... and sometimes for no reason... almost like he liked hearing himself...gggg

• Zaire has a single woof she uses at night when we are in bed if she hears something outside that she thinks shouldn't be there. Also when I come home if I don't say hello to her right away I get a little bark like "HEY… It's me your princess...PAY ATTENTION"

• Medjai lets out one single bark when a particularly friendly looking dog walks by the window and he is in a hyper mood to get outside. He then will run round and round the bed seeing if he can get the other dog's attention without having to bark a second time.

• You know, it is funny that it was right after being around other dogs for an extended period of time. Jack will do a single bark now, after we spent a week with my sister and my parents with their 2 dogs. It's almost like they learn it from the other dogs.

• @Robin_n_Jack:

You know, it is funny that it was right after being around other dogs for an extended period of time. Jack will do a single bark now, after we spent a week with my sister and my parents with their 2 dogs. It's almost like they learn it from the other dogs.

They do tend to learn how to mimic quite well from other dogs. I think this is one reason that Zaire tends not to Yodel allot. One thing she learned from Charlie that I think is SO FUNNY is that while they are angry at each other they will sneeze at each other until they determine who is going to back down. It's really quite interesting.

• Ty has always done a single bark. Kate, never when she was younger.

Now that's she's older, she does a single bark if an unknown dog walks on HER sidewalk in front of the house.

I do have the pleasure of a daily 'song of homecoming'. They both 'roo, yodel, howl, and end with individual 'senji vocalizations to greet me on a daily basis.

Being an "empty nester", it's a welcome greeting.:)

• Sahara has done one single wroof when she has been frightened by hubby coming in the house after work once or twice. Now she is use to his night shift and usually hears his truck drive in the yard and it's out the doggie door to greet him, she hears it before I do. Once last week I saw her go out her doggie door at around 10:00pm (she hates to go out at night, and it was too early for my hubby to be home) and she stayed and stayed, I had to get up and go look for her, I found her in my hubby's shop checking out what he was doing. He decided to come home early and he had the leave time to do so, I thought Sahara had run off chasing a rabbit or some other creature. I wish they would check in once in awhile, hehe!!!!!

• Dallas will bark on occasion. He usually does it when he is put in his crate & can still hear that we haven't left the house yet. I think he's reminding us he's in there so we'll let him out :p

And yea, Dallas doesn't yodel either & I think it in part is because he doesn't have another dog to mimic. He will occasionally make some funny noises but really, no solid yodeling from him.

• Little behind the times…I just can't log on as often as I'd like. But our Jack has this habit of laying at night, while chewing his favorite nylabone or kong, where he can see his reflection in the sliding glass door - and he will sometimes let out a little woof and even a growl, pretty much at himself which I think at first he thought was another dog. My dh and I just sit there watcing and laughing. Now it's to the point where he tries to get the reflection to play with him - he'll pounce toward it, then do a B500 around the downstairs. Gee, think he wants a playmate??? Anyway, didn't mean to go on and on, but we too get very excited to hear his little bark and it's neat to see the different circumstances that bring it out.

• Yesterday was the first day that our neighbors had their Halloween decorations out. They have a scarecrow right in the center of their yard and when we went for our walk yesterday morning Sophie stopped in her tracks and let out a very quiet "boof", then backed up slunk low and "boof" again. Sam took her to check out the the "scary man" in the yard and she doesn't boof at it any more but is keeping her eye on it when we go for walks.

• Mick woofed for the first time last week. We had our front door open and he heard our neighbors outside talking. He stood up on the edge of the sofa and let out a grumble then 3 distinct WOOFS. 😃 We were like "what the heck was that?" Then we laughed our heads off. It was so cute. I wish he would do it again.

Suggested Topics