How can I save cost? (Rescued Pups)

• @lvoss:

Asking where someone got their dog is not "interrogating", it isn't hostile, or in any way nefarious.

Sorry, but it does come across that way in some instances - maybe because it's so quick. At a dinner party, you don't start the conversation by asking who a new acquaintance's parents are, before you ask about them and their spouse, job and home - or maybe you do. But that wouldn't likely encourage candor.

It is true if the response is that their dog was from a BYB, petstore, or a rescue that often the next statement is a plug for the Fanconi test. Again, this advice isn't done out of hostility, it is done out of genuine concern.

But at that point if they do not intend to breed what diference does it make? Sadly, the new pup may be likely to eventually have Fanconi. If it's a BYB or a rescue, what can they do about it at that point? There's no one to give it back to - even if they haven't already fallen in love and don't want to give up their baby. Yeah, at some point, it's probably a good idea to know what's coming. But when you're in the first stage of doggie-love, knowing that maybe they'll die at some point…it's kind of a buzz kill. And you can't change it, so why create that anxiety right now?

Just to be clear, my comments don't relate so much to this post. This OP was talking about breeding, and at that point IMO all bets are off and the expert breeders should jump in. I don't find anything bitchy about that. But I'm not sure I understand insisting that a new owner of a pet B that may be discovered to be a Fanconi risk needs to know that on their first day here. Let them enjoy the glow before they face the risks of losing their sweet pup from health issues that were determined long before they came into the picture.

I admire and respect the breeders on this forum - I'm just voicing my opinion that in cases unlike this one - where they asked about breeding - we might want to let folks settle in and enjoy some basenji love before we hit them with all the risks they may have unknowingly bought into.

• Thank you everyone for your posts.

Let's all try to make this forum above all a friendly and welcoming community where people can enjoy exchanging information about their Basenjis.

Health issues and breeding topics are very prominent here and have it's own categories for discussion. To get new members familiar with these topics we will include links to most important health/breeding topics and stickies in our welcome email and thread.

Some member expressed to us that for one reason or the other they are not comfortable revealing details about themselves and their dogs to complete strangers on an internet forum as soon as they make a first post. They need some time to get familiar with everyone.

We respect that and ask everyone to respect that as well.

• Although I understand how it can be uncomfortable to give out information about your dog to complete strangers online, it's not just something that happens on the internet. Every time I have taken Piper to field trials or other places with basenji owners and breeders I didn't know, one of the first questions they asked me was who bred her.

But since I am one of the people who finds it interesting to know where other people got their basenjis, and how they are related to Piper or others I know, it doesn't bother me at all. I love talking about my breeder and about different bloodlines, but I realize not everyone does.

So IMO I don't think this is just something people on this forum do, I think it is something that a lot of dog people in general do when meeting new people, especially in a breed as small as basenjis. At least that has been my personal experience.

• @BasenjiByTheBay:

But at that point if they do not intend to breed what diference does it make? Sadly, the new pup may be likely to eventually have Fanconi. If it's a BYB or a rescue, what can they do about it at that point? There's no one to give it back to - even if they haven't already fallen in love and don't want to give up their baby. Yeah, at some point, it's probably a good idea to know what's coming. But when you're in the first stage of doggie-love, knowing that maybe they'll die at some point…it's kind of a buzz kill. And you can't change it, so why create that anxiety right now?

You can't change it, but you do increase the odds that your dog will have less kidney damage and a better quality of life if you are informed. You do the test, not because you are going to give up your dog, that is the attitude that is keeping BRAT from testing and allowing people an informed decision, you do the test so you know because that knowledge can make world of difference for your dog.

Maybe my attitude is so different about health issues because I volunteer at my shelter, I have done dog evaluations for BRAT, and I have friends who have left the veterinary profession because they just couldn't deal emotionally with the results of putting off today because it would have been a buzz kill. The results of that attitude can be truly devastating. I placed a dog who had a reduced lifespan because the owners wouldn't admit that the dog had Fanconi and then wanted to give her up because she had chronic bladder infections as was peeing everywhere. My shelter had to put to sleep over 100 dogs in the month of May and close for 3 weeks because of distemper outbreak because owners in my county don't vaccinate.

The thing with the Fanconi Marker Test, is that it isn't a buzz kill, doing the test means you can relieve much of the monthly anxiety when you do urine testing. Obviously, if the dog has tested Probably Affected, there will always be breath holding, is this the time they test positive? But even then at least the owners have had time to become well acquainted with what will need to be done, will have had time to find out where the resources they are going to need are, instead of the frantic, panic that occurs when it hits unexpectedly.

• @BasenjiByTheBay:

Sorry, but it does come across that way in some instances - maybe because it's so quick. At a dinner party, you don't start the conversation by asking who a new acquaintance's parents are, before you ask about them and their spouse, job and home - or maybe you do. But that wouldn't likely encourage candor.

Every dog park I have ever been to where I have run into a basenji owner, the first question they ask is "Where did you get your dog?" I don't take it as rude when asked then and I don't really see why it is rude here. To me it is very similar to being at a huge family gathering, my grandfather hosted many, and at them most exchanges would start with, "Oh, are you Henry's granddaughter?" or "You're George's kid, right?"

In many ways coming here is a lot like going to a big family party.

• Exactly.. that is the first question that is asked… Where did you get your Basenji? Who is the Breeder? Who are the Sire and Dam?.... at a lure trial, dog show, training classes, internet chat lists.... all over...

And to the Forum Staff... life if not always a "bowl of cherries"... And I think it is unfair to try and restrict comments/questions to "be nice" and not to tell the truth and be able to ask about people's motives as we are dealing with a living, breath, animal....that can not speak for itself. As already said, people don't like to hear the truth... but remember that BYB/Pet Store puppy can't read and can't send its blood to have a DNA test done. That Puppy can't say "don't breed me, I come from unstable stock, unhealthy stock"..... You can include all the links to sticky's that you want.. and I would venture to bet that maybe 1/2 if that many would even go read them... as in many cases they have no idea that any of that would pertain to them or their Basenji.

And this just adds to the same "don't ask, don't tell" attitude of BRAT that will not do a DNA test on BRAT dogs before placing them.. so that they don't have to tell people that they have an affected dog. I wonder if they even tell them about the DNA Fanconi test?

• Pat, I think Sharron may be a better person than I to answer your questions about BRATs view on the DNA linkage test, but I did want to just get out there that part of the home visit protocol is to verify that adopters are aware of the potential for Fanconi. BRAT does also require that you aggree to strip test once a month. I have only done one home visit myself, but durring the visit did speak about the option of the linkage test to determine how vital the strip testing would be for an adopted dog.

I just want to thank the breeders, and owners on the forum for continuing to ask the tough questions. YES tough questions can make some people feel uncomfortable, but refusing to ask tough questions (regardless of the topic) leads to major problems. I believe it is important to be polite to people and make them feel welcome, but I also believe that hidding behind being compleatly PC just allows those with poor ideas to continue to blindly follow them without ever having to think about those ideas criticaly and descide the validity for themselves. You all are an amazing community of people who I continue to be blessed to be a part of. 🙂

• Jarodkjv,

Good point, I do notice that anytime we see a basenji on the street we usually ask or get asked where the dog is from. But in some situations this question comes a later in the conversation or does not get brought up at all. Over the years we noticed that for some reason this is not something some people want to disclose to strangers right away, so we respect that and just want to leave it at that without questioning their motives.

Tanza,

Thank you for your comments. I agree life is not always "bowl of cherries" and sometimes tough questions need be asked, our mission here is to make this forum above all a friendly environment for people to share information.

There are ways to be nice and respectful to others when getting your point across or asking tough questions. We also have forum rules in place and we expect everyone who is participating on the forum to follow them.

• @LiveWWSD:

Pat, I think Sharron may be a better person than I to answer your questions about BRATs view on the DNA linkage test, but I did want to just get out there that part of the home visit protocol is to verify that adopters are aware of the potential for Fanconi. BRAT does also require that you aggree to strip test once a month. I have only done one home visit myself, but durring the visit did speak about the option of the linkage test to determine how vital the strip testing would be for an adopted dog. QUOTE]

I do know that DNA for Fanconi is not done by BRAT and I know that their view is don't want to "know" or have to show that a dog is of "affected" status (but not spilling at that time, but could at any time) because people would not want to adopt those dogs. I do not know if they explain to people about the DNA test that is available.. of course if it was me looking to adopt and I was told there was a DNA test available, my first question would be "why have they not been DNA tested?". IMO, it is wrong to adopt out a dog that in 1 month, 2yrs, etc… can/will become affected and not have that information available when there is a way to know now.

• I have to say that I agree with Pat & Lisa on this. If people didn't do their research in the first place about the breed and purchased from a BYB or pet store and never asked about health testing or researched the "breeder" they got their dog from, what makes anyone think that they will look up anything about health care about a basenji or know anything about Fanconi, how to test for it or how to care for it. If they don't get the real information here, where do you propose they get it? A sticky/link isn't enough.

The problem with society today is that is everything is about immediate gratification and being disposable. What would be the reasons that someone doesn't spend time researching the breed…they want the dog immediately. And what happens if the animal gets sick...they give the dog up to a shelter. The Fanconi test/result is important so the dog can get proper early care...not so they will get "rid" of their dog.

The only problem I have with any of the discussions that go on relative to breeding, is when members here who aren't breeders start "grilling" someone..."what does your dog have to offer"...that sort of thing (sometimes worded nicer). IMHO they are basically "parroting" what they've heard the breeders say without having anything to back it up with and should leave the breeding questions/advice to the breeders to answer.

Maybe the "breeder section" of the forum should have a disclaimer of "enter at your own risk". 🙂 And I do also agree, that people come here looking to have their ideas/wants validated and it will be doing this community a great disservice if we have to "censor" our comments to only "be nice" and not truthful.

• @Alex:

Tanza,

Thank you for your comments. I agree life is not always "bowl of cherries" and sometimes tough questions need be asked, our mission here is to make this forum above all a friendly environment for people to share information.

There are ways to be nice and respectful to others when getting your point across or asking tough questions. We also have forum rules in place and we expect everyone who is participating on the forum to follow them.

Again, I think that lvoss did that with her posts in this subject as did the rest of us…. of course this post was a bit different as they came out right off the top wanting to know about breeding and cutting costs.

• @renaultf1:

The only problem I have with any of the discussions that go on relative to breeding, is when members here who aren't breeders start "grilling" someone…"what does your dog have to offer"...that sort of thing (sometimes worded nicer). IMHO they are basically "parroting" what they've heard the breeders say without having anything to back it up with and should leave the breeding questions/advice to the breeders to answer.

Though I respect your right to have your opinion. I would like to point out that I am not 'Parroting" anyone on this site. If I am "Parroting" anyone it would be my parents who bred Goldens for 15 years. I understand compleatly that you feel this kind of information is best from breeders, but knowledge of why one should breed is not ONLY restricted to people who are activly breeding. As I stated in my post to the OP I am not a breeder, but these questions are questions that I DID ask each time I was looking for a pure breed. I think it is important to understand that, there are owners out there who feel exactly the same way as many responsible breeders when it comes to the questions one should ask themselves before putting a litter out there.

• Like I said Pat, I don't know myself why BRAT doesn't test. I know that the cost for them is somewhat prohibitive. But I agree %100 with you that it is important for all owners of ANY breed to have good access from rescue orginizations as to the types of health problems that they should be aware of with the breed they are choosigng to welcome into their home.

• @LiveWWSD:

Though I respect your right to have your opinion. I would like to point out that I am not 'Parroting" anyone on this site. If I am "Parroting" anyone it would be my parents who bred Goldens for 15 years. I understand compleatly that you feel this kind of information is best from breeders, but knowledge of why one should breed is not ONLY restricted to people who are activly breeding. As I stated in my post to the OP I am not a breeder, but these questions are questions that I DID ask each time I was looking for a pure breed. I think it is important to understand that, there are owners out there who feel exactly the same way as many responsible breeders when it comes to the questions one should ask themselves before putting a litter out there.

Very well put!

• @LiveWWSD:

Right…my opinion...and I did not specifically name you, did I...:rolleyes:

• No you didn't, you simply eluded to some statements that I made in this very post. I am not trying to start a conflict with you. I am sorry IF you feel that is the case. I am simply stating my opinion as you state yours. You opened up a conversation relating to what I had posted and I responded. It's OK that we don't agree on everything, that is part of the joy of being a human. But I felt that I needed to respond to your comment, as even if it was not directed entirely at me (or at all at me) it related very directly to what I had posted previously.

• @LiveWWSD:

No you didn't, you simply eluded to some statements that I made in this very post. I am not trying to start a conflict with you. I am sorry IF you feel that is the case. I am simply stating my opinion as you state yours. You opened up a conversation relating to what I had posted and I responded. It's OK that we don't agree on everything, that is part of the joy of being a human. But I felt that I needed to respond to your comment, as even if it was not directed entirely at me (or at all at me) it related very directly to what I had posted previously.

OMG…lighten up. I wasn't "eluding to" anything YOU said. I was actually not even referring to this thread...there were at least 2 other threads in the last couple of weeks that I was thinking of. WOW...it isn't all about YOU, but I'm glad you can read my mind...then you know what I'm thinking right now. :rolleyes:

Sometimes this place is too much. 😞

• When you think about it, education of how to find a responsible breeder, how to find a responsibly bred dog (of any breed), understanding the health concerns of a breed should be the concern of any dog owner, IMO…. and regardless if you are a breeder or a pet owner, these are questions everyone should be asking...

• Well then my apologies. As I said it seemed directly related to this thread. No I cannot real your mind which is why I used the word "if" in caps to try to indicate to you that I was not fully aware of your intentions. I certainly don't mean to cause you any stress. I am sorry that it appears you took it that way. I am not trying to be snarky at all, I realize that this breed, and really dogs in general, are one of thos things that I get so passionate about that I sometimes say things that come from my heart rather than my head and aren't thought out well enough to avoid offending people. I apologize to you Renaultf1, and to anyone else if I ever offend any of you on this board.

To everyone: Please know that I only come to this site because I am interested in hearing what ALL of you have to say. There may be times that we disagree. But if I didn't respect each and every person here for their conviction in their beliefs, and the information and knowledge that they are willing to share, I would simply not post or read on the forums.

OK I think that is the end of me trying to be serious, it seems to open potential for upsetting people too much. 🙂

• @renaultf1:

Sometimes this place is too much. 😞

Yeah, but most of the time it's a supportive, lively, educational and sometimes hilarious gathering. Thanks to everyone who contributes their thoughts. We're all better for it.:) And thanks to Alex and Vanessa for making it all possible! Must be like herding basenjis sometimes, and that can't be easy :rolleyes:

Suggested Topics