• This is far off topic with any of my other threads, and all the other ones I've seen, but I was wondering if there was any way to track the size (weights, and maybe heights) of people dogs. From what I remember seeing in many threads, there are a ton of dogs that are quite a bit bigger than the standard, and several that are smaller. I just have rarely come across posts of basenjis that were actually (weightwise only) the standard size anymore.

• Mine are darned close – my female is 21 lbs and my male is 25.

• Ok this is my dogs weight and heights -

Cali bitch - 9.5 kg height 16 inch
    Kwame dog - 11 kg height 17 1/4 inch
    Belle bitch - only 5 months but weight 7 1/2 kg height 14 3/4 inch

• @basi:

Ok this is my dogs weight and heights -

Cali bitch - 9.5 kg height 16 inch
    Kwame dog - 11 kg height 17 1/4 inch
    Belle bitch - only 5 months but weight 7 1/2 kg height 14 3/4 inch

Oh dear, you went all metric on me! LOL

Now I have to go do conversions…..

So, your bitch is 21 lbs., and your boy is 24; your pup is 16 lbs.

Sounds right on the money to me!

• @JazzysMom:

Oh dear, you went all metric on me! LOL

Now I have to go do conversions…..

So, your bitch is 21 lbs., and your boy is 24; your pup is 16 lbs.

Sounds right on the money to me!

Sorry lol, yep that sounds about right

• Hehe. Lyly is just a bit smaller than her half sister Belle.. she is just tipping in at 7 kilos now. 🙂

• Apache is 16 3/4" tall and looks his best at 25 lbs.

Chey isn't a good gauge, she's overweight

• Booger is 25 pounds in the summer & closer to 28 in the winter. Lola, who is only 7 months now, is 13 pounds.

• Cory is 15 inches and approximately 17.5 lbs. Jayden is 18 inches and as of last week weighed in at 24.5 lbs. So it is pretty funny when Jayden lets Cory grab him by the neck and "body slam" him to the ground.

Pat

• Zip, our 4.5 yr adult has fluctuated some. She was 20 lbs in Nov/Dec and Denise said she looked on the skinny side. Then she hit 24 at some point and now she's 23. The vet said her weight felt fine on her during her exam. She's eating a little less in the warmth and I wouldn't be surprised if she lost a pound or two.

• My girls in show/coursing weight were 19 to 21 lbs and my oldest male who is on the large side is 28lbs and is 18", the other male 25lbs… and is 16 3/4.
    My youngest male is just at 17" and is 25lbs. My girls are all just around 15 3/4" with the exception of Mickii that is 16 3/4
    However depending on body structure weight is a difficult thing to pin down what is or is not correct.

• oh, I only have metric measurements and weights as well
    Banshee 40 cm high and 8 kg
    Jester 43,2 (!) high and 9,5 - 10,5 kg varies with his condition. For Shows he is a little more in weight. For Coursing and playing at the beach a little less in weight.
    Panda (at the age of 8 months, aka now) 42 cm and 9,5 kg

I have to admit, that I prefer the more slim and sighthoundlike looks. Slim and good conditioned - I hope you might know what I mean.

Regards,
    Esther

• I agree Esther, I prefer my Basenjis to look like they could go out and hunt down their own food (hehe, not that either of mine could)… Slender and petite is how I like my females.

• Samantha was the runt of the litter, so she's very slender at the waist, but measures 16" at shoulders, 16" from shoulders to tail and weighs 19-20 lbs.

• @gemurray:

Samantha was the runt of the litter, so she's very slender at the waist, but measures 16" at shoulders, 16" from shoulders to tail and weighs 19-20 lbs.

Which is right on the standard. I have never really seen a "runt" Basenji in any litter. One might start out smaller then the others, but by the time they are full grown, they have always caught up. It really is not something that we see in our breed, IMO

• Medjai was the runt, and the rest of his litter is also really light boned. I've seen 1 sibling, and 1 half sibling, and they are both about the same as Medjai, just about .5-1" taller. I will measure him later, but he is now weighing 18.5 lbs.

• @etzbseder:

Medjai was the runt, and the rest of his litter is also really light boned. I've seen 1 sibling, and 1 half sibling, and they are both about the same as Medjai, just about .5-1" taller. I will measure him later, but he is now weighing 18.5 lbs.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't your Medjai come from a questionable breeder?
    That may account for the fact that all his puppies are smaller than the standard.
    If he's not breeding dogs that meet the standard for Basenjis, he's going to produce dogs that don't meet the standard.
    And that is why the reputable breeders may seem to elitist to you, but should also illustrate the WHY of their attitudes toward careful breeding.
    Just a thought…...

• Medjai did come from a questionable breeder, but for Medjai, he just took after his mom. He's 16.5" tall 15.5" long. His mom is just about that same size, but his dad is about 18" tall and almost 32 lbs.

• Mirtillo is 41 cm (16,1 inch) from shoulder to ground and 41 cm (16,1 inch) from chest to buttocks and he weighs 7 kilo (16 pound)

• Huh, Jack is lean but he weighs 29lbs a little more than most of you, Wonder why?? (Hes 6/7years)

Suggested Topics