Skip to content

Is my dog a Basenji? Can you help me figure it out?

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Is my dog a Basenji mix?

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    10k Views
    ZandeZ
    @eeeefarm said in Is my dog a Basenji mix?: Genetics is such an interesting subject! And the most understandable book on the subject is Mary Lou Kenworthy's ! Recommended to everyone if it is still available.
  • 4 Votes
    29 Posts
    11k Views
    RugosaR
    My Rosa wrote the "How To Be a Basenji DIVA" manuscript - as many rules there were, it was so worthy of a 'script' at the end! She, and all her offspring, had spring and fall heats, but I only bred her once in the spring. That produced one puppy, my Captain. She always ruled over her pups, except when Captain came along - she did what HE said when he was about 2 weeks old!
  • Does my dog look basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    17
    1 Votes
    17 Posts
    6k Views
    MrsCastroM
    @scewbydoo One of our vet techs volunteers with the shelter where she was born. Her mom was labeled as Jack Russell. Her goofy nature makes me think Boxer mix, but who knows. The shelters down in S. TX aren't the most accurate at breed identification. I once had a shelter in San Antonio send me a picture of a brindle Basenji they wanted me to pull...it was a calico cat. Regardless of breed, Roxy is home.
  • Help with my Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    eeeefarmE
    Glad to hear things have improved. If it was a partial blockage perhaps it has resolved, but I agree that a vet check would be a very good idea just to be safe.
  • I have ''issues'' with my basenji, can you help ?

    Basenji Talk
    33
    0 Votes
    33 Posts
    28k Views
    YodelMaY
    Ladybasenji, where are you in Quebec? Montreal? We have a place in Gatineau (Aylmer sector) and one of my dogs might even be related to yours. You're experiences with your girl remind me so much of my first basenji, about 20 years ago–it gets easier, I swear! Let me know if you'd like help with Lady--they're nothing like labs and will never be "obedient" but there are tricks for training them : D
  • Basenji and Larger Dogs

    Basenji Talk
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    19k Views
    Robin_n_JackR
    You know- I hadn't thought about it, but there is a new standard poodle in our complex that everytime Jack sees him he goes crazy- hackles raised, growling, baring teeth. That is the only big dog he has ever had an issue with. I think it might be because the owner doesn't pick up the poop like she is supposed to, so maybe he catches on to the fact that I'm not really their biggest fan.