• I just got AKC reg papers on our rescue B. Fiji is a pet, and spayed, so it's not about reproducing but I'm wondering if there's a way to research the breeder and parents in terms of health issues.

The breeder was Warren Hensley – the woman we got her from said he was in Texas. Sire is listed as Julius Czar Hensley and the Dam as Calpurnia Hensley. If anyone knows anything about this breeder, or knows other ways I could research, I'd appreciate it.

• You can look up Fiji's parents on Sally Wallis's pedigree website, http://pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com

• there is a basenji pedigree search, also you can look at the OFA site. All you need is the parents' names or registration numbers.

• Thanks! The pedigree site is amazing - takes it all the way back. I'm still trying to figure out if it lists Fanconi info.

• It does but only if the dog has been listed on the OFA site. Do a reverse pedigree on Haynie's Cassandra, Julius Czar Hensley's dam and you will see that his littermate Haynie's Mystic Inferno has produced and affected puppy designated with by (AFS) next to its name in the pedigree

• In the first four generation of Julius Czar Hensley, there has been no DNA Fanconi testing, however as lvoss pointed out there was Fanconi produced. And in the four generations on the Dam side there has been no DNA Fanconi testing. On Sally's site, tested dogs have the results by their names with CL for clear, CR for Carrier, AFS for Affected. My suggestion is that you think about doing the DNA test for Fanconi on your Basenji.

Also, I would doubt that there has been any other health testing, so I doubt this Sire and Dam would be on the OFA site

• Thank you all for the help translating this info.

Yes, I think we will register her with the project and have her tested. My impression was that there had been no testing. The woman we got her from had never heard of Fanconi and I haven't found anything on the breeder- except now on Sally's site, where he just seems to have Fiji's Sire and Dam.

This forum is so incredible!

• @BasenjiByTheBay:

Thank you all for the help translating this info.

Yes, I think we will register her with the project and have her tested. My impression was that there had been no testing. The woman we got her from had never heard of Fanconi and I haven't found anything on the breeder- except now on Sally's site, where he just seems to have Fiji's Sire and Dam.

This forum is so incredible!

So sad the people out there that don't know about the health concerns in a breed and just sell for profit… but you can learn about them at www.basenjihealth.org or www.basenji.org

Chances of you finding anything out about the breeder would be slim, I would think…..

Suggested Topics