• Hi, I am a member of BRAT.
    BRAT is basenji rescue and transport and we rehome basenjis all across the US.

will get you to the web site.
    You can contact the person in your state who does rescue and see
    what they have to rehome.

Its a great group of folks who work for the best homes for the dogs.
    Let me know if I can ever be of any help for you.

Sharron Hurlbut

• Hello,
    My name is Sheila Shumaker and I have a 10 year old basenji male named Rusty. It brings me much pain to have to do this but I have to give Rusty away. I have a 3 year old daughter and Rusty bit her for the 3rd time last night. He has been diagnosed with Fanconi disease also. I think it will be hard to find him a home. It would have to be someone with no kids and no other animals. He does not get along with other animals. I have had him since he was 6 weeks old and I nourised him from being the runt of the litter. My options at this point are to give him to a good home, put him to sleep or keep him in the garage. The 2nd options are just not fair to him so I am asking for help to find him a good home. He is a great companion with a lot of love to give but he is very jealous of others. He wants to be the center of attention. I would like to keep in contact with who ever takes him just to know that he is doing okay. My Phone number at home is 727-548-1222. I live in Pinellas Park, Florida. If you are interested please call me right away. My husband will have to be the one to bring him to give away because I just can not be there. Please understand it is like parting with a child. I had help from the president Fran and I lost her email address when my computer was replaced. If you are reading this Fran, please contact me. I could really use someone to talk to. Thank you, Sheila Shumaker

• <_>

The president of what?

Try Basenjis Rescue and Transport also known as BRAT

www.basenjirescue.org_

• The president of the Basenji Forum

• Please contact BRAT for your boy….. www.basenjirescue.org

Is he on the protocol for Fanconi?… and I am guessing since you got him at six weeks, the breeder is not available to take him back?

• Good morning,
    Yes, I am following the protocol for his fanconi disease. And you are correct with the breeder. He moved out of the state, so I do not have contact with him anymore.

• @RUSTYROO:

Good morning,
    Yes, I am following the protocol for his fanconi disease. And you are correct with the breeder. He moved out of the state, so I do not have contact with him anymore.

Have you contact BRAT? www.basenjrescue.org?

• @RUSTYROO:

Good morning,

Do you happen to have the pedigree information for your Basenji? Name of Mother and Father?

• No he does not have any papers. The breeder gave him to me because he was doing so bad when he was born, he almost died. Jason, the breeder only breed dogs on the side and he knew I would nourish him back to health. I have no way of tracking the chain of his disease.

• Really try and get ahold of BRAT. It is a great organization and they really take the time to fit the rescues with the right home.
    It doesnt always mean that you are a poor owner when you have to turn your dog to rescue. Sometimes it means you are kind and smart enough to know what is in the best interest of them.
    Good Luck

• @ChristyRutherford:

Really try and get ahold of BRAT. It is a great organization and they really take the time to fit the rescues with the right home.
    It doesnt always mean that you are a poor owner when you have to turn your dog to rescue. Sometimes it means you are kind and smart enough to know what is in the best interest of them.
    Good Luck

I totally agree with Christy'. To call a breed rescue group is THE most responsible thiing to do. I am sympathetic with your dilemma RUSTYROO. Please let us know your progress. It is a very difficult position to be for the best interest of you, child and your beloved fur baby.

• Thank you so much for saying that. Because that is exactly how I feel. I love him with all my heart and it is tearing me apart. I have cried for 3 days now. I feel like I am abandoning him when he needs me the most. I will try to contact them and again thank you!!!!!

• @RUSTYROO:

Hello,
    My options at this point are to give him to a good home, put him to sleep or keep him in the garage. The 2nd options are just not fair to him so I am asking for help to find him a good home. He is a great companion with a lot of love to give but he is very jealous of others. He wants to be the center of attention.

Shiela,

I've been thinking about these options. There may be another possible option to think about - Would you consider working with a Behaviorist? I have not needed one for my two, but there have been discussions in this forum where an animal Behaviorist would benefit owners with Basenji/dog behavior problems. I know there is the old question "Can you teach an old dog new tricks?" I wouldn't doubt RUSTYROO can still do it. If you're interested, someone (Andrea) may know how you can find a good trainer in your area.

• Qualified behaviorists can be found here:

www.iaabc.org

Depending on the situation, this kind of dog can come around …they take a LOT of work, and committment and management. A lot of behaviorist will refuse to work with a dog who has bitten kids who live in the home, because of the liability issues. There are a lot of variables involved. Often the most responsible thing is rehoming of the dog.

That being said, Ivy has bitten (snapped) at Ethan twice over the three years they have lived together. We work on it, we manage it, we know that having Ivy here is a risk, and we know it is our responsiblity to teach Ethan how to behave so as not to get bitten. And we know it is also our responibility if he does get bitten. The alternative for her is euthanasia, because I will not rehome a dog that has bitten in the manner she has (she has bitten adults as well). So we work, and we work, and we super carefully manage her.

• I worked at Petsmart for 4 years as a trainer. Teaching dogs how to obey and behave. In Rusty's case it is pure jealousy. My daughter Aliesha doesn't have to touch Rusty and he will go after her. If he is in the room and my daughter walks in, his hair automatically stands up and he growles. Aliesha keeps her distance from him, at this point I don't think she really likes him too well. He was our one and only for so long that he resents her for being there. My husband and I have concidered putting a/c into our garage and adding a doggie door. We already have 2 couch's out there for him to lay on. (Just so it still feels like home) Although if we do this, we are going to get Aliesha a dog of her own. She deserves to have an animal that she can love and bond with. Not having any brothers or sisters to play with, it is important for her mental development. I don't know how Rusty will take that either. My husband and I both take turns spending time with Rusty. We have tried to hold Rusty and let Aliesha give him treats, and a small pat on the head. But as soon as the food is gone, he wants nothing to do with her. I've tried everything taught to me when I trained at Petsmart and nothing works.

• This is NOT a jealousy issue-dogs do not have jealous 'feelings'. They are dogs, not humans. This is a behaviour and dominance issue. #1 if any of my dogs growled b/c someone who lives in the house came into the room they would be removed from the room-right quick! Your dog has decided your daughter is beneath him on the scale of who belongs where. You have accomodated him by giving him his own room, his own furniture, and now you're considering a/c?? Sorry, I really do not agree with you on this. Coming from 15 years of behaviourism in canine alone, all I see is dominance issues and not 'jealousy'.

• @RUSTYROO:

I worked at Petsmart for 4 years as a trainer. Teaching dogs how to obey and behave. In Rusty's case it is pure jealousy. My daughter Aliesha doesn't have to touch Rusty and he will go after her. If he is in the room and my daughter walks in, his hair automatically stands up and he growles. Aliesha keeps her distance from him, at this point I don't think she really likes him too well. He was our one and only for so long that he resents her for being there. My husband and I have concidered putting a/c into our garage and adding a doggie door. We already have 2 couch's out there for him to lay on. (Just so it still feels like home) Although if we do this, we are going to get Aliesha a dog of her own. She deserves to have an animal that she can love and bond with. Not having any brothers or sisters to play with, it is important for her mental development. I don't know how Rusty will take that either. My husband and I both take turns spending time with Rusty. We have tried to hold Rusty and let Aliesha give him treats, and a small pat on the head. But as soon as the food is gone, he wants nothing to do with her. I've tried everything taught to me when I trained at Petsmart and nothing works.

A. Trainers (even great trainers) are not necessarily behaviorists
    B. I think rehoming this dog is the best option. I think you are right, he wants nothing to do with your daughter. It isn't fair to her, or him to force them to try to live together
    C. I can't remember how old your daughter is, I thought three? (like my son). IMO, no three year old needs a dog for friendship. Wait until she is old enough to take on some responsiblity, and has some empathy for animals…five or six is a more appropriate age for getting a dog for a child. If YOU want to get a dog, that is another story...but don't do it because you think the child NEEDS a dog.

• nomrbddgs,
    Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion. Not to sound rude but this is MY situation and I will handle it how I see fit. Dogs are VERY MUCH like humans and have FEELINGS. If you believe any different I'm sorry. I DO remove Rusty from the room when he growles at my daughter. I would be stupid to stand there and say " go ahead and do it again." Dogs are domesticated animals and we have the means to treat them right. I would give my dog nothing less then the best I have to offer him. What just because he is a dog and does not like my daughter , should I leash him or put him in a dog house outside? That is obsurd. Thank you for your input but please do not respond to me again. I am looking for a good home for my dog. That is my #1 priority. I am not looking for advise on his behavior. You do not live in my house and have not been through what I have been through. Again thank your for your input but I am going through enough right now, I can do without the rude response and talking down to.

• @Quercus:

A. Trainers (even great trainers) are not necessarily behaviorists
    B. I think rehoming this dog is the best option. I think you are right, he wants nothing to do with your daughter. It isn't fair to her, or him to force them to try to live together
    C. I can't remember how old your daughter is, I thought three? (like my son). IMO, no three year old needs a dog for friendship. Wait until she is old enough to take on some responsiblity, and has some empathy for animals…five or six is a more appropriate age for getting a dog for a child. If YOU want to get a dog, that is another story...but don't do it because you think the child NEEDS a dog.

Thank you for your input. You seem very nice and knowledgeable. Yes it is I who wants a dog. Especially once Rusty is gone, I will be so lost without him. I have to give him 12-14 pills a day for his Fanconi, not to mention all of the water he consumes. At the same time my daughter LOVES animals. Her grandma has 2 dogs and she loves them so much, and they love her.

• I did not mean to be rude, but I HAVE been through your situation. You don't know what other's have been through either so don't yell at me.

Suggested Topics