Who's Basenjis' actually howl/yodel?

• Just curious, because I've never heard Tiggy do the basenji howl/yodel.

I mean like this one Basenji Howling

Tiggy talks, grunts, grumbles and little ra ra ra's and occasional longer baroos but never and out right howl type thing.

It makes me laugh because it's so throaty sounding, like he has the literal frog in his throat.

• Give him time…it sounds like he might. Nala doesn't do it much...I love to listen to those pups go!

• LOL, nope I like him just how he is 😉 and I don't think the dh would like it much, I was playing the you tube and watching Tiggy's reaction (very funny) and he was like OMG thank god he doesn't do that.

Our boxer is a talker too, and the cat, so Tiggy just fits right in.

Thank god though he doesn't do the scream of a woman being murdered, I heard Tiggy's father Desmond do that once, :eek: I thought my ears were gonna fall off it was so loud.

• @WBL:

…Thank god though he doesn't do the scream of a woman being murdered, I heard Tiggy's father Desmond do that once, :eek: I thought my ears were gonna fall off it was so loud.

Nala does that. Separation anxiety at its best (worst 😕? )! Lucky you!

• @nala121498:

Nala does that. Separation anxiety at its best (worst 😕? )! Lucky you!

Desmond's was from excitement about to go onto the lure track, my two friends that were with us looked at me like I was crazy because I got a dog that made noises like that LMAO

As long as putting Tiggy in the crate is the absolute last thing we do before leaving and he can see Reggie he doesn't cry in his crate. I know because I've made it look like I was leaving, even walked down the stairs, open and closed the outside door to the apartments, took my shoes off and walked back to my front door and sat outside the door reading a book and not one peep from Tiggy. But if we do other things after putting him in the crate he makes noise for about 10 minutes

• Our dog sings to our daughter's violin playing all the time. It actually gets annoying.

I recorded the dog without the violin & set it music here-

The song Lavalicious & the other ones

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61431922&MyToken=75dda343-8a30-4761-b41f-0330805e5265

She does Indian hollers, Kitty cat cries and Scooby Do talking

• Nala does it when we leave her outside and go for a walk or ski or snowshoe. We can hear her for miles! Our neighbor said that we should record her noises for horror films! Poor baby…

• @Barklessdog:

Our dog sings to our daughter's violin playing all the time. It actually gets annoying.

I recorded the dog without the violin & set it music here-

The song Lavalicious & the other ones

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61431922&MyToken=75dda343-8a30-4761-b41f-0330805e5265

She does Indian hollers, Kitty cat cries and Scooby Do talking

Hysterical! My, you are so talented…and your puppies too!

• Reminds me of the movie "Best In Show" were they make the song about their Terrier.

I too have two left feet, really!

Thanks for the kind comments-there are a lot of basenji fans & owners on MySpace.

• Crystal "sings" when Stephen practices the violin too!!!!

• @Barklessdog:

…"Best In Show"...

One of my favorite movies of all times. In fact, DH bought it for me one year because he loves it too!

• Funny how true a lot of movie seemed. We found Basenji people in Chicago & Wisconsin that we knew & met, where like the people here, very dedicated, nice, helpful & down to earth people.

I guess basenji owners have to stick together.

• All my males do, Penny and Cleo…..Cleo doesn't do it a lot....Penny does:rolleyes: .
    I've never heard Raven Baroo.....she sort of talks to you, I don't know what you call it...???

• Ruby always yodels when I get home from work. In fact, the whole family tries to be the one that gets a song whenever they come thru the door. My father and I are usually the ones who get it…but once she did 4 long yodels for my brother. 😃 I wasn't a witness so I joke that he made it up that he got that much from her.

Also, ever since I changed Ruby's food to Evo, I say, "tell me" right before I put her dinner in her crate, and she yodels and then runs to the crate.

Anytime she yodels, she gets lots of praise and usually gets a treat of some sort as well.

Ruby is definitely vocal...and I LOVE IT!!!

• Any vocalization from a basenji is a treat (except demon growling)

They make so many sounds, Our male is 99% silent, except when he "meows" like a cat, kind of whining. Also, I like the grunting they make when you pet them. We once raised a baby squirrel and the squirrel grunted just like the basenji does when content. Ironic!

Our male is also a big time snorer. We are going to get him some of those nose strips to stop snoring.

• Miles HOWLS like crazy when we crate him. Every day. Still.
    Although this is not him, this IS exactly what he sounds like:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2GrU1UlN4

Lexi only "talks". http://www.dogster.com/video/379313/Lil_talkershe_really_wants_some_chicken

• Except for some whining on occasion Tosca is generally silent. However, whenever I am in the kitchen she will let out a big long yodel, wanting food. May not be a good idea, but I usually reward her for it by giving her a small taste of whatever I am making. Drives my husband nuts cause she does it all the time now, but its cute, and the only time she does it. I think I would get annoyed too if she did it all day long, but since its just when we are making food I think its kinda cool 🙂

• Alex howls like crazy when he want inside. Also used to do it when I'd take Cassi for a walk and leave him home. Sounds like a coyote caught in a steel trap.

• As you can tell by his name, we get lots of Baroooooos! Mostly when he is playing or wants attention. I love it! He came with his name, and I didn't like it so much at first, but after I heard him it kinda stuck! When I tell "non-basenji" people his name they look at me like whats up with that? I always have to explain! Even at the vet they asked "how do pronounce his name?" It figures, one of the girls there came around the desk and saw him and goes "oh a basenji, I have never seen this breed before." I guess thats how you know I live in a small town!

• Here is Kwame howling along to a soap that we get in the UK. Cali doesn't howl or yodel but she gives you lots of sqeeks when you come home!
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/kwame1/?action=view¤t=CIMG0101.flv

Suggested Topics