• Some of you have posted that you give your dogs chicken bones. I was always told that you should never give chicken bones because they splinter very easily and could get stuck in the intestines. Is this really true, or just a myth?

• @lovemybaroo:

Some of you have posted that you give your dogs chicken bones. I was always told that you should never give chicken bones because they splinter very easily and could get stuck in the intestines. Is this really true, or just a myth?

It's true if the bones are cooked, raw bones feed with the raw diet will not harm them. The body is able to digest them and break them down. Sometimes raw feeders may find bits of bone in the stool but usually it is joints and just the occasional undigested part.

Actually all bones that are cook are not good for them as even bigger bones like cow can splinter. When bones are cooked they dry out and become brittle which cause them to splinter and break.

• @lovemybaroo:

Some of you have posted that you give your dogs chicken bones. I was always told that you should never give chicken bones because they splinter very easily and could get stuck in the intestines. Is this really true, or just a myth?

It is true with any "cooked" bones, the ones we are all talking about are raw and not only the bones but the meat also (also raw). You should never give your dogs any bones that have been cooked as they can and do splinter… and those are what causes problems. You can find lots of information on raw meaty bones and people that feed only a raw diet on the web if you are interested to read about it.

• That makes sense, good to know. I used to give him the occasional cooked cow bone because I thought that was safe, but I guess I won't be doing that anymore!

• Bird bones are not constructed like other animals. They have a lot of hollows to help give the birds lift. Thus they can splinter extremely easily, cooked or not cooked. Never give bird bones, period.

I know what you went through. My previous beastie was a swallower and had a particularly bad experience with a chunk of rawhide. In addition to the weird behavior, and wanting to vomit, etc. he would scream "to high heaven" any time he moved. Luckily before I could get him to the vet, he calmed down and stopped screaming and everything turned out okay. Whew!

• So I'm starting week 2 of feeding primarily raw chicken backs and pork ribs to tayda and lenny. they seem to love it. question for those of you who feed raw: where do you feed them? i put the meat/bones in their food bowl, but of course they promptly grab it and run to some corner… I'm not thrilled about the raw meat being all over my floor. So Ive been feeding them outside when I take them out to go to the bathroom, but it takes them a while to chew it, and it's cold here! Would be nice to find a way to contain them in here without having to disinfect my floor twice a day. i did the calculation and its about half the price for me to feed them raw than the innova evo they normally get!

• @Tayda_Lenny:

So I'm starting week 2 of feeding primarily raw chicken backs and pork ribs to tayda and lenny. they seem to love it. question for those of you who feed raw: where do you feed them? i put the meat/bones in their food bowl, but of course they promptly grab it and run to some corner… I'm not thrilled about the raw meat being all over my floor. So Ive been feeding them outside when I take them out to go to the bathroom, but it takes them a while to chew it, and it's cold here! Would be nice to find a way to contain them in here without having to disinfect my floor twice a day. i did the calculation and its about half the price for me to feed them raw than the innova evo they normally get!

😃 in a crate…....

• I've been mixing Merricks Wing a Ling canned in with Tyler and Zoey's dry Nutro. There are whole chicken wings in there–but very soft, and I usually squish them to make sure there aren't any long bones. They seem safe--does anyone see any problems with that flavor of Merricks? Tyler and Zoey just go crazy when they smell it. I put a little in with their dry, and they just love it.

• The bones in the Merrick's Wing A Ling and Smothered Comfort are pressure cooked so they easily pulverize when squeezed, no splintering.

• @lvoss:

The bones in the Merrick's Wing A Ling and Smothered Comfort are pressure cooked so they easily pulverize when squeezed, no splintering.

That's good to know. Thanks, Lisa. Since I don't cook at all–I had no idea how those chicken wings were processed.

Suggested Topics