in Beavercreek Ohio (Near Dayton, Ohio)
    Near Knollwood Garden Center,
    just north of Dayton-Xenia Road

Please call Tracy if found or spotted:

(937) 426-2871
    (937) 609-2983
    (937) 426-0966

*** PLEASE CROSS POST***

• I sure hope you find your B! I'll be sending good thoughts from out here in Colorado!

• Thanks Michelle!

• I posted it to the BRAT-CHAT list.. I hope he gets found and returned safely soon!

• Oh my… and I know Stitch.... sired by Parry's Jaadii....

• @tanza:

Oh my… and I know Stitch.... sired by Parry's Jaadii....

I know Pat! It is just making me sick. He is a stunning dog, and only a carrier…so we have high hopes for him...

I am praying that he is just lurking somewhere, and will be found shortly.

• Andrea! I hope he comes home soon!

• Stitch has been found! YAY!! He was over a mile away from home, and the people who found him were able to place him because of his microchip. They are involved in rescue and new exactly what to do!

Thanks to everybody who offered up a thought and a prayer 🙂

• HOORAY for the people who found your baby!!!

• @elena86:

HOORAY for the people who found your baby!!!

Thanks Elena 🙂 Although, Stitch is not mine 🙂 He belongs to my good friend Dr. Tracy Leonard of Select Basenjis. I don't want to take credit where it isn't due 🙂

• Thank goodness…. thanks for letting us know Andrea... Stitch is a very handsome boy... but of course I am prejudice... since I loved his daddy... who left for the Rainbow bridge way too early due to Fanconi. Stitch as Andrea said is a Carrier, so still has lots of offer the breed, bred to Clears!

• @tanza:

Thank goodness…. thanks for letting us know Andrea... Stitch is a very handsome boy... but of course I am prejudice... since I loved his daddy... who left for the Rainbow bridge way too early due to Fanconi. Stitch as Andrea said is a Carrier, so still has lots of offer the breed, bred to Clears!

Hi Pat,

Can you explain what "carrier" means to those of us who are not familiar with it and what are the implications and what we need to watch out/look for or do/don't do if we have B's that are "carriers"?

Thx…

• @imbj:

Hi Pat,

Can you explain what "carrier" means to those of us who are not familiar with it and what are the implications and what we need to watch out/look for or do/don't do if we have B's that are "carriers"?

Thx…

For Sure… with the Fanconi Test Basenjis can be Clear of the Fanconi gene, Carrier of the Fanconi gene or Affected with the Fanconi gene. In breeding you would always want to only breed a Carrier to a Clear, in doing that you would only produce Clears or Carriers, but never and affected. If you go to www.basenjihealth.org there is a chart and here is another link to a chart showing what you would get breeding clears, carriers, and affected.
    http://www.geocities.com/rugosab/FanconiTestPage.htm

As far as anyone with Carriers, your Basenji will not ever develop Fanconi, it just means they are carriers of the gene and if bred to another carrier or affected, they then could produce offspring that would be affected. Same with Clears, if your Basenji comes back as affected, you need to be very, very diligent with monthly strip testing and there has also been thoughts of doing blood gases to see if any changes to the blood values. This could be helpful in treatment of a Fanconi dog, as the biggest thing is to catch it early for the best chance that treatment will be effective.

And since our gene pool is small, it is never a good thing to throw out the baby with the bath water, as the saying goes. There are ways to preserve the gene pool and not lose many of the bloodlines that have Carriers and/or Affected.

• @tanza:

For Sure… with the Fanconi Test Basenjis can be Clear of the Fanconi gene, Carrier of the Fanconi gene or Affected with the Fanconi gene. In breeding you would always want to only breed a Carrier to a Clear, in doing that you would only produce Clears or Carriers, but never and affected. If you go to www.basenjihealth.org there is a chart and here is another link to a chart showing what you would get breeding clears, carriers, and affected.
    http://www.geocities.com/rugosab/FanconiTestPage.htm

As far as anyone with Carriers, your Basenji will not ever develop Fanconi, it just means they are carriers of the gene and if bred to another carrier or affected, they then could produce offspring that would be affected. Same with Clears, if your Basenji comes back as affected, you need to be very, very diligent with monthly strip testing and there has also been thoughts of doing blood gases to see if any changes to the blood values. This could be helpful in treatment of a Fanconi dog, as the biggest thing is to catch it early for the best chance that treatment will be effective.

And since our gene pool is small, it is never a good thing to throw out the baby with the bath water, as the saying goes. There are ways to preserve the gene pool and not lose many of the bloodlines that have Carriers and/or Affected.

Ahhh, now I know a little more… Thx!

I'm so glad Stitch was found!!! 🙂
    It seems putting out those flyers as soon as possible really helped... It almost makes me think to prepare (such flyers) now, along with my emergency contact sheet, just in case my B gets lost then I won't have to worry what to put on the flyer, then just print the flyers and post them immediately, and start contacting the shelters and such...

• @imbj:

Ahhh, now I know a little more… Thx!

I'm so glad Stitch was found!!! 🙂
    It seems putting out those flyers as soon as possible really helped... It almost makes me think to prepare (such flyers) now, along with my emergency contact sheet, just in case my B gets lost then I won't have to worry what to put on the flyer, then just print the flyers and post them immediately, and start contacting the shelters and such...

For sure that is the thing to do. I have ones for all mine….

• Hooray hooray.

• Yea! Glad you're home with your family little buddy! 😃

• Woo Hoo thats great news, glad he was found!!

Suggested Topics