Gastritis…help..need support

Hi all.
Our 8month old Juma was extremely healthy on Monday. Tues didn't eat much, but we kept our eye on her. Wed. was normal, and then yesterday she started vomiting. We took her to the vet and they did all the bloodwork to rule out Parvo and Giardia. Things came back normal, but she continued to get worse and worse. This AM was so disheartening. Poor little Juma had thrown up during the night and this AM had blood in her very loose stool. Took her immediately to the hospital where she continues to receive an IV and electrolytes. They have diagnosed Gastritis and we are hoping and praying that she makes a turn for the better. Has anyone else ever experienced this with a Basenji???

I'm sorry I have never expereinced this with a dog but I do hope for a speedy recovery and best wishes to you and your pup

Hopefully she will recover quickly… and the most important thing is to keep her hydrated.... and great that she is on fluids and electrolytes...

Gastritis is inflamation of the stomach.. so has many causes.... from eating something that was bad to many types of viruses.

Hi there. Poor baby has most likely eaten something nasty by accident. Hope things get better quickly. 🙂

Wishing ur little one recovers quickly. Please keep us posted

Basenji Mix

Curious - when you say "eaten something nasty", do you mean somthing dead? Lately, due to the acorn droppings, (tree litter, as I call it) the squirrels are in high gear - so are my kids, Duke & Daisy. I'd hate to think they are going to get a disease munching on a dead squirrel. Anyone with experience upon squirrel consuption? (either fresh killed or hidden for later?) I know - totally gross, but I'm the keeper - looking out for their best . . . The difference would only keep me more awake in the mornings!

I don't know what gastritis is, exactlly . . . symptoms? My prayers are there for Juma for complete wellness. Healing vibes for all in this active time of year.

@Duke:

Curious - when you say "eaten something nasty", do you mean somthing dead? Lately, due to the acorn droppings, (tree litter, as I call it) the squirrels are in high gear - so are my kids, Duke & Daisy. I'd hate to think they are going to get a disease munching on a dead squirrel. Anyone with experience upon squirrel consuption? (either fresh killed or hidden for later?) I know - totally gross, but I'm the keeper - looking out for their best . . . The difference would only keep me more awake in the mornings!

I don't know what gastritis is, exactlly . . . symptoms? My prayers are there for Juma for complete wellness. Healing vibes for all in this active time of year.

Gastritis is vomiting, no appetite, not drinking, fever, etc… it is inflamation of the GI tract...

Thanks everyone!!!! Little girl Juma is being cared for 24/7 at the fantastic local Seattle vet hospital. They are very optimistic that the antibiotics, IV…etc are going to help her recover in the next couple of days. Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow. Thanks so much for well wishes and prayers!!!! They work!

I would have them run an ultra sound on her { NOT a x ray } to check her intestines a xray won't show if it is perforated and if it is she needs surgery ASAP I am hoping it is just something that is going to get better for her sake but honestly i would have her scanned just to make sure also what color is her urine it will be normal color now cuz they have her on a IV but if it is like a little yellow brown at all i would seroiusly get her in ASAP I had a issue with my last B like that and the vet thought it was just gas but it ended up not being believe it or not it was Ipsid a desiese {basically like the human disese chrones } very very rare now but it is still out there unfortunately i don't mean to scare u just saying rather be safe then sorry

@phoenix3:

I would have them run an ultra sound on her { NOT a x ray } to check her intestines a xray won't show if it is perforated and if it is she needs surgery ASAP I am hoping it is just something that is going to get better for her sake but honestly i would have her scanned just to make sure also what color is her urine it will be normal color now cuz they have her on a IV but if it is like a little yellow brown at all i would seroiusly get her in ASAP I had a issue with my last B like that and the vet thought it was just gas but it ended up not being believe it or not it was Ipsid a desiese {basically like the human disese chrones } very very rare now but it is still out there unfortunately i don't mean to scare u just saying rather be safe then sorry

IPSID is not as rare as you think…. if you go to www.basenji.org you can find it on the list of Basenji health concerns.

Sorry to hear about your baby! I hope they checked the liver enzymes when they did the bloodwork too. My B had similar symptoms when they diagnosed his liver disease.

Best wishes for a quick recovery for Juma. Sounds like she is in the best place to help her recover.

Anne in Tampa

The other thing that came to mind is called the "Dog show Crud'. Actually many times it turns out to be Camphylo Bacter (geez I didn't spell in right) It is highly contageous from humansto dogs and back. AND dogs are still carriers unless they've been on a course of Antibiotics. For whatever reason vets don't seem to catch this one.

Syptoms sound about the same - don't eat, vomit, loose, very loose and bloddy stools, lethargic. etc.

It's good that she's on antibiotics. When you start feeding her again - add some yougurt or something bland to help her tummy.

Good luck - and keep us posted.

@dmcarty:

The other thing that came to mind is called the "Dog show Crud'. Actually many times it turns out to be Camphylo Bacter (geez I didn't spell in right) It is highly contageous from humansto dogs and back. AND dogs are still carriers unless they've been on a course of Antibiotics. For whatever reason vets don't seem to catch this one.

Syptoms sound about the same - don't eat, vomit, loose, very loose and bloddy stools, lethargic. etc.

It's good that she's on antibiotics. When you start feeding her again - add some yougurt or something bland to help her tummy.

Good luck - and keep us posted.

I remember reading about how many people get campylobacter food poisoning from eating things like hot dogs and lunch meat.

((Hugs)) to you and your baby! Please update us when you can…

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.