• boys together are super easy! my adult male has taken the boy puppy under his wing? and treats him like he is a baby. they are great!

• Topper was about 7 when we adopted Eddie, then almost 3 and still intact. Both Nicky (girl) and Topper took to Eddie and liked him a lot, the boys have a very special bond. Ed and Nicky are "joined at the hip" and frequently together. Topper is very Alpha, and Ed is a bit as well,(we say that Eddie is Topper's "wing man") but their personailties fit together perfectly. 2 boys who like each other is very easy, a boy and girl who don't particularly like each other can be difficult. A lot depends on the personality of the individual dogs, IMHO, as much as the sex.
    Anne in Tampa

• It does depend on the dogs' individual personalities. IMO dogs will fight, bitches will fight-but a dog and a bitch are less likely to fight.

• Actually typically girls are more assertive - neutered males are more mellow. Basenji's as a pack - are typically lead by a matriarch. Most of the alpha's are female.

Adding a female to your 3 males that already get along could change the dynamics as she may try to supplant you as the leader.

RE: mother daughter and sisters - geez - the line I ALWAYS use for people who keep 2 females is the issue is not that they get along but what will you do when they don't. I have had both of those female combinations that worked - until it didn't - it's unpleasant when it doesn't.

• My Mother and Daughters also worked (knock on wood)…..

• Pat and DM have probably already read my other post about my bitches-heat's coming on. So yes fight's do get vicious. Really consider it before you get two bitches. Even males get on better together than females.

• @nomrbddgs:

Pat and DM have probably already read my other post about my bitches-heat's coming on. So yes fight's do get vicious. Really consider it before you get two bitches. Even males get on better together than females.

The one thing about males is many time even if they have a serious fight they will get over it… and get along again... Bitches more times then not will not... and will have to be separated for life....

In the end, opposites are best if you only have two... and if more then two.. unless you are showing or breeding, spay/neuter to keep the peace... IMO

• Well I guess I shouldn't have a problem since Champ is very easy going. When we go to the dog run he always goes with the flow that is as long as everyone's flow is wrestling.

• It probably wouldn't be champ you would have to worry about then. It's the dog with the other personality. Sugar would rather keep the peace also.

• ues escpecially since he's my first born(lol) I will be most protective of him

Suggested Topics