• OUr B has trained us… hence the "Rocky's Rules of Order". But in all seriousness, it has made me more of a neat freak. If things are put away, then the B can't get into them... or at least that's the theory. smile

Baseji agility... now that is something I could totally get into. I know my papillion would love it but I think Rocky would enjoy the mental stimulation... if I could just get him to stop worrying about the other dogs.

• OMG my basenji makes an awsome pet! He sits around and does nothing all day lol. I have worked at a grooming salon & have been a pet sitter in the past. From those experiences I have realized how EASY my B is to live with and care for. It was so interesting to see how different breeds behave. I dont know why but he doesn't do most of the crazy basenji things I hear about from other owners, so sometimes its hard to relate. With a couple of exceptions of course. I mean he will still want to hunt down things that are moving fast but I'm working to improve his self control. I would freak if he killed something one day but at the same time I know he's a hunting dog.
    He's sweet with animals that dont run from him. We used to have a senior ferret that loved to crawl all over him and pull on him with her little hands and he just could not care less.
    As for agility I would love to do that with him (for fun) but I dont know if I can because he's not AKC. Might be tough at first to get him to stop worrying about all the other dogs around though.

• If he is purebred, you can apply for an AKC ILP number so you can compete in AKC events like agility, rally, and lure coursing.

For those that do not have a purebred there are a lot of agility organizations that accept mixed breeds, CPE, USDAA, NADAC, DOCNA just to name a few.

• Cool thanks for the tip I'll have to look that up on line and learn more! Do basenji's do scent trials? He is from a rescue that picked him up at a shelter. I know zero about his backround or where he is from. He has the "look" of a puppymill Basenji, in the family there have been 2 from a breeder 1 pet store & now this guy the rescue.

• I prefer my basenji as a part of the Hound Group over the Terrier Group any day. I dont see any characteristics of the terriers in a basenji other than the similar colorings….

• @Mantis:

I prefer my basenji as a part of the Hound Group over the Terrier Group any day. I dont see any characteristics of the terriers in a basenji other than the similar colorings….

I would prefer hounds as well…but, really? You don't see any other characteristics? How about the overall tendancy for this: "are you looking at me...was that a look...what does that look mean...you wanna fight? sure I'll fight, c'mon...bring it on...." oh, and there is also the "what's in it for me attitude" that both groups share

They are also physically square like most terriers. Most terriers have almond shaped eyes...most terrriers have triangular ears that have been bred to flop over.

There original name when imported to the west was "congo terrier"

I see quite a few similarities 😉 But I defintiely prefer being in the hound group. And honestly, if we were going to be re-grouped, I would hope for a primative or spitz group to be formed...that would really be the "right" place for us 🙂

• @Quercus:

I would prefer hounds as well…but, really? You don't see any other characteristics? How about the overall tendancy for this: "are you looking at me...was that a look...what does that look mean...you wanna fight? sure I'll fight, c'mon...bring it on...." oh, and there is also the "what's in it for me attitude" that both groups share

They are also physically square like most terriers. Most terriers have almond shaped eyes...most terrriers have triangular ears that have been bred to flop over.

There original name when imported to the west was "congo terrier"

I see quite a few similarities 😉 But I defintiely prefer being in the hound group. And honestly, if we were going to be re-grouped, I would hope for a primative or spitz group to be formed...that would really be the "right" place for us 🙂

I agree Andrea… I could have seen Basenjis put in with terriers very easily.. and I am glad that we are with the hounds... Also agree with the re-group..

• @vstripe:

Cool thanks for the tip I'll have to look that up on line and learn more! Do basenji's do scent trials? He is from a rescue that picked him up at a shelter. I know zero about his backround or where he is from. He has the "look" of a puppymill Basenji, in the family there have been 2 from a breeder 1 pet store & now this guy the rescue.

Basenji do scent… but there are not trials, per say for them but I know that one of my puppies participated in one scent trial (however I don't remember the details).... You should subscribe to The Basenji Magazine... we have one Basenji owner that does hunting with his basenjis and does articles for the magazine... If you go to www.thebasenji.com you can get a free sample copy….

• Basenjis can participate in Tracking Trials but they are pretty tough to get into.

As for being like a terrier. I do see plenty of terrier traits. In fact, my obedience instructor has a border terrier that absolutely loves basenjis and has ever since she attended the BCONC Rally Seminar. Miss Pickle couldn't believe there were other dogs that wanted nothing to do with her and loved their own personal space. It made so much of an impression on her that when the basenji puppies came for the day she was like, "Mom, you finally brought the right puppies home."

• Basenjis lack the one trait that terriers all have that I do not prefer and it is the attentiveness, or desire to please their people all the time which portrays the hyper nature. I like that my basenjis aren't in my face all of the time.

• @Mantis:

Basenjis lack the one trait that terriers all have that I do not prefer and it is the attentiveness, or desire to please their people all the time which portrays the hyper nature. I like that my basenjis aren't in my face all of the time.

Hmmm…well, that sure isn't like the terriers I know...there is a reason why they call them "terrierists" 😉 Most terriers couldn't care less about pleasing you. But yes, they usually are very busy! I think of sporting and herding dogs as being much MUCH more wanting to be in your face, and please you all the time...and yes, I prefer that my Bs aren't like that (most of the time...sometimes I wish they were a little more attentive to what I want 😉 )

• @Quercus:

Hmmm…well, that sure isn't like the terriers I know...there is a reason why they call them "terrierists" 😉 Most terriers couldn't care less about pleasing you. But yes, they usually are very busy! I think of sporting and herding dogs as being much MUCH more wanting to be in your face, and please you all the time...and yes, I prefer that my Bs aren't like that (most of the time...sometimes I wish they were a little more attentive to what I want 😉 )

No kidding. That little toy rat terrier that my friend has is super hyper and could not care less about pleasing them. You can't hold him unless he is very sleepy. He simply must be down destroying things, chasing the cat. If they give a command such as "sit", he'll sit for 1/10 of a second and then he's outta there. He managed to pass his first obedience class, but even she's not sure how he did it. She said he embarrassed her every week in class by being the worst listener every time. LOL
    There was a Basenji in that class, and she said he was a dream boat!

• @Mantis:

Basenjis lack the one trait that terriers all have that I do not prefer and it is the attentiveness, or desire to please their people all the time which portrays the hyper nature. I like that my basenjis aren't in my face all of the time.

Wow, all the terriers I know are so very much like Basenjis?… what attentiveness...?? I very rarely have seen that in any terrier....

• @tanza:

Wow, all the terriers I know are so very much like Basenjis?… what attentiveness…?? I very rarely have seen that in any terrier….

Yeah - Unless there's a treat - what attentiveness? I'm sure Duke is Basenji-Terrier, I think Jack Russell. Both worlds collide with him. When Duke wants love, like a cat/basenji, he comes to get it. Otherwise, he's very independent. I like the term "terrierist".

How old is your friend's Rat Terrier? I had a heck of a time getting thru Beginner Obedience last year - he was about 8 months old. Now he's 1.5 y.o. and he's come a long way since then. I don't complain so much anymore about what he's done - lately. Daisy's taken over his place as the accused.

• You know when I worked at the grooming place for a year we had some kind of terrier almost everyday. I dont think basenji's act like them at all. Thank goodness too, most of them would usually nip, bite and give us a tough time (some were very sweet). Not like-"really agressive" more like stubborn brats. I'm so glad they are in the hound group because sight hounds are bad a$$ looking. Especially Borzoi, Greyhounds, Whippets, Salukis, Pharaoh hounds, & Ibizans.
    Funny thing about obedience classes. We did begginer and inter. with Garrett and our teacher would always pick us last or not pick us at all to do demo's of tricks in front of the class ( think she was afraid he would make her look bad). She had two golden retrievers and the class was a bunch of border collies aussie's couple of labs. a golden stuff like that.
    Anyway, the few times she did pick us Garrett actually did what she said! He messed up a little with the off the leash course because he was more interested in going to investigate the other dogs. By the end of class she was so happy with his performance and would tell us how cute and good he was. I like to think in some small way our B changed the way she thought about basenjis.

• Remember however, those dogs most likely have little or no social skills and/or training…. I know people that have taken Basenjis to groomers and they "cringe" at the sight....

And.. Borzio, Greyhounds, Whippets, etc.. are sighthounds, not scent?

• Eekk I meant to write "sight" I was looking at that scent stuff on a web site 🙂 Come to think of it, maybe our teacher always picked us last because my boyfriend and I looked weird lol! We were wearing all black, leather jackets and were the youngest couple in class!

• You DID write sight..unless I'm missing something. {"they are in the hound group because sight hounds are bad a$$ looking. Especially Borzoi, Greyhounds, Whippets, Salukis, Pharaoh hounds, & Ibizans"}

And yes, they are sighthounds.

My friend's rat terrier is only a month older than Keoki, so he'd be about 7 mos old now.
    "Remember however, those dogs most likely have little or no social skills and/or training…. " And he's been through obedience training - ha ha! - and many attempts to socialize him w/dogs and people have been made. He's a firecracker, and not from lack of trying on their part to settle him down a bit. They'd hoped neutering would help -- ha ha again. I was at their house the night of his surgery and he was EVERYWHERE and into EVERYTHING.

Jill, I'll let my friend know that yours is better now. It will give her hope for the future! LOL

• POOR BUNNIES!! Jack would KILL a squirrel if I would let him off the leash to chase it i just know that for sure, in FACT he miss took a small long haired Chihuahua of our neighbors for small game and I'm sure if i wasn't out there with him, he might have brought me the kill, EWW. thanks goodness he hasn't done any hunting yet, but of course my husband would LOVE to train Jack to hunt with. we will see.

• the problem who getting the kill away from the basenji in time.

Suggested Topics