Basenji Mix Chihuahua What to know

Hello everyone, new to the forum and is looking on rescuing a dog this week. Are there anyone here that owns a basenji chihuahua mix? He looks really sweet and the kids adores him. He is about a year old, house trained, and good with kids! What should we expect from a mix breed like this? He is about 12lbs. Thank you!

last edited by olivemarie1212

@olivemarie1212
Can you provide us with a photo? 🙏❤

If you're lucky, he won''t bark (basenjis don't) No offense meant re chihuahuas but they sure do bark a lot! Seriously, I think it would be pretty difficult to tell you what to expect from that mix. It all depends on what characteristics you recognize from each breed. I suggest that you read up on both breeds

I have a basenji chihuahua mix! Or at least I’m 98% sure that’s what she is haha I think it’s different for every dog but in my experience they can be love-able stubborn brats. Our dog was also a stray so we struggle a lot with her having a high prey drive and intense reactivity when she sees other dogs on our walks. Idk if this has to do with the breed or just the lack of socialization as a small puppy but training these out of her have been VERY challenging. I also don’t recommend if you live in an apartment or no backyard. My dog has a high energy and gets bored really easily. Hard chew toys are a must for us as well. She’s a good and sweet dog who I think will get better with age and more training, but these breeds really can be a handful! Hope this helped 🙂

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.