• speaking of baby bunnies. I have been feeding the birds and squirrels for a while and there is this darn cat that runs loose in the neighborhood. Anyway, the cat found the baby bunny nest and chased out the babies. She caught one and 2 darted under our fence for protection–right into the mouths of Dash and Sissy. Bad, Bad choice. I came outside to 2 dead bunnies. They were not eating them, just playing with them. I didn't have any problem getting them away from them. They were dead-game over. No more chase. Dash had moved on. I felt awful, but they are hunters. Between the Beagles nose and the basenji's sight. They didn't stand a chance.

Also, I see quite a resemblance to terriers. I don't consider it bad or good. They are what they are.

• I have always been told that animals must learn to kill.

Our female, we got as a puppy, has always 'instinctively' killed animals. No play involved either. She chases, kills as fast as she, can then eats as fast she can.

Both my wife & myself don't encourage it, but for me (not my wife) watching her do it with the bunnies was like watching a discovery animal scene of a lion chasing her prey. I remember it so vividly, like she was in slow motion, she chased the 7 or so bunnies, they dodged & ducked and they dog adjusted to every move. No anger, no blood thirsty ravaging, just like a wild animal she was just catching food but with grace & beauty. We only saved one bunny. It was actually beautiful watching it (except the killing part). She did it quickly and efficiently as she could. Our male has not a clue to killing and ends up getting all bit up (stupid dog!)

It minds me of someone taking a street Ferrari out a track racing with other cars, seeing it work as what God intended the design to do. Poetry in motion, I guess what Lure Coursing must be like. I can tell you what it was like, or see pictures, but seeing it in person is different.

• I don't think I could have watched it. I was crushed as it was. I enjoy the animals around our yard and if I could catch the loose cat I would remove it. As much as I realize it is their instict, I still would freak out.

• I have a big fenced yard - this basenji playground however on occasion attracts smallish bunnies - they hide in the hostas and when the basenjis aren't looking make a dash for the fence. The probelm they will encounter is that soon they will not fit through the fence and then they'll be the bunnie buffet in the basenji playground.

You would think they would figure out and stay away - I have a large area that is not fenced with nice cover, woodpile etc even a pond - but know inside the basenji yard they play - until they don't.

Last year Sarge got a tail and piece of skin - before he got the whole bunny later. I will also say that killing a bunny Thanksgiving morning was perhaps the shinning momemt in my old guy Mo's last month alive. He was old tired and slow but chasing the bunny invigorated him - I swear he smiled for a week.

• I don't think I could have watched it. I was crushed as it was. I enjoy the animals around our yard and if I could catch the loose cat I would remove it. As much as I realize it is their instict, I still would freak out

My wife had the same reaction and was really upset by it, she even resented the dog. We tried to catch them but you know you just can't catch a basenji, yet alone one after a bunch of rabbits. As much as I dislike rabbit & other vermin in my yard, I don't want to kill them personally or by our dogs. If a owl comes by during the night thats OK, it's natures way. You can't yell or be mad at a dog doing what it was intended to (my wife). People love to humanize their pets, but really they are animals and preditors.

He was old tired and slow but chasing the bunny invigorated him - I swear he smiled for a week.

Our dog is a timmid scaredy Basenji and she was he same way after that. I did wonders for her ego, she was so proud. I was happy for her.

Suggested Topics