• Athena likes to have a chew now and again. I don't like rawhide as she will swallow pieces of it, the composite 'snack bones' last about a minute, and she has never liked kong toys of any kind. I don't know if its the rubber smell or the texture but she won't touch one.

Right now she has a couple of actual bones that I got from the pet store, I think they are baked and bleached or something. She will chew those for a while.

I was just wondering what other types of chewy toys other basenji owners had tried?

• the only bones that have lasted & not torn off in big strips has been pressed rawhide sticks that are about 11" long and about 1 " in diameter.

• Raw soup bones from the grocery store. I have the "butcher" cut them into 1 1/2 inch lengths so they are too large to crack open and small enough for the dog to get all the marrow out. After they have been licked and chewed up and are smelling "funky", I boil them which sterilizes them. They can then be kept "forever".

Mine also lone the hard Nylabones, preferably the dinosaur shaped ones. The poor things get decapitated rather quickly though. :p

• Mine isn't too interested in Nylabones but she really loves the 'healthy edible' bones and they last a while as well….got mine at petsmart but i am sure you can get them elswhere.

• @lissthor:

…and she has never liked kong toys of any kind. I don't know if its the rubber smell or the texture but she won't touch one...

Have you tried stuffing it with goodies then freezing it? My Magnum loves his stuffed kongs. He doesn't chew on the kong, but it takes him a good, long while to get the goodies out.

The only other things he chews (that's his, at least, LOL!) are bully sticks. I get the nice big, thick ones from sitstay.com.

• @YodelDogs:

Raw soup bones from the grocery store. I have the "butcher" cut them into 1 1/2 inch lengths so they are too large to crack open and small enough for the dog to get all the marrow out. After they have been licked and chewed up and are smelling "funky", I boil them which sterilizes them. They can then be kept "forever".

Mine also lone the hard Nylabones, preferably the dinosaur shaped ones. The poor things get decapitated rather quickly though. :p

Too funny! These two things, soup bones and dino bones, are the only things that my two B's LOVE! I would also add the Galileo bone made by Nylabones is super sturdy too. 🙂

Suggested Topics