• That's the hard part, is that he knows when you say his name, and his ears perk up. He'll only come to it if we're going outside… because he knows he has to come in order to go out. Once we're on the walk he's clueless. It's good to know I don't have to feel frustrated or like a bad owner because of some of these breed traits.

Thanks for your kind words, luzmery. Everyone has been really helpful, especially when it comes to reinforcement. I'm used to dogs that have different personalities, but I've come to prefer Hunters' and can see myself as a lifelong Basenji owner.

• @MileHighGuy:

Once we're on the walk he's clueless. .

welcome Mile High Guy. Thanks for taking in this little boy. He is definately keeping you on your toes, but that's part of the reason we love these dogs so much. as far as your comment above, they are never "clueless" he just wants you to think he is 🙂

• Petsmart has a basic obedience class for $99 and it is 8weeks. You pick the day (options listed at the store) and time that fits your schedule best and stick to that date for the 8 weeks. If you have anyone else living with you they should try to go as well.

I found hot dogs to be the best immediate attention treat for training in the class or trying to train while walking.

• It sounds to me, at least at first with this boy, one on one with a trainer needs to happen… one so that the trainer can evaluate him and really understand the problems...

And yes, it sounds like he has had a rough time of it... and it seems totally obvious to me that because of that there are going to be many behaviors that are not acceptable and will take time and patience to correct.

Oh and by the way... all Basenjis have "selective" hearing... gggg... so don't feel bad if he doesn't seem to know his name...

• yeah, I can guarantee that if you said his name and gave him peanut butter he would react differently to his name! LOL

• See the nick name thread-

he will aquire many names spoken in many tongues!

• <

• After rescuing my little guy, I noticed a complete change in him… just as you've described with yours. At first all he wanted to do was sleep. Then he realized life was suddenly not as hard as it used to be... and he could start enjoying it again. That's when my adult male turned into a puppy! lol... I'm sure you can relate!! It just takes time and repetition. Classical conditioning to the rescue!!

Definitely wouldn't try socializing him until you two are good with each other. My male is aggressive toward every other male dog, basenji or not. He's neutered. It's just sometimes that way. Basenji's are real tough guys- even the little girls. 😉 My little Lexi would take our Dobie any day. She always ate first and was alpha.

Still waiting for those pics... 😉

• The reason he doesn't respond to simple things (his name)on walks is because he literally can't hear you

I keep telling my wife that but she never believes me!

I think my kids have the same issue.

We have to throw rocks or socks at my son for him to hear us. It's the whole ADD selective hearing thing.

• @Quercus:

Honestly, this is a really simple exercise, and every Basenji owner should be given the training steps upon receiving their dog (any dog, really)…but jys mentioned some GREAT training references in her earlier posts. But the "attention" or "watch" exercise, when propery trained and rewarded can be used to combat just about any undesireable behavior.

Absolutely, Name Response and Attention are such important behaviors and make all other training much easier. I have spent the summer training shelter dogs and teaching kids to train dogs and both of these have been invaluable tools. The kids in camp realized really quickly that I had a much easier time working even my "wild" puppy during camp because she was so heavily reinforced for watching me that even when the other summer camps would tromp by chatting and yelling over at their friends she would still look at me to see what we were going to do next. The best thing about both of these behaviors is they are easy to practice at home or when you are waiting in a class situation.

Another thing that I really encourage is keeping some of your dog's breakfast or dinner out and using those to reward good behavior around the house. It doesn't have to be anything you even asked the dog to do, just rewarding him for the times that he is calm will really help reinforce calm behavior.

• A few pictures. He has great teeth and I love his wrinkles, but as you can see, he still has a lot of weight to put on and his coat is in a sad state of affairs.

• One method that I've used successfully is to hand feed. No food in the bowl etc. I would have food placed up high and anyone could just grab a few kernels in their hand and sit. When the dog approached them and touches their hand - he gets fed.

Now this sounds tough but it is the fastest and most humane way to demonstrate who's in charge. the ONLY way this works is that he can get NO food unless it is out of someones hand.

That said - is there anyway you can find out any pedigree info - that might provide a clue on the potential of Thyroid.

email me off list if you want to 'chat' directly
    dmcarty100@yahoo.com

• He's really skinny.

I imagine he will need to get his weight up slowly.

He will be a great looking dog once you fatten him up a bit. You won't recognize him from these pictures!

• Awww, definitely a thin little guy. Miles was the same way- thin and his coat was really dry and sparse. 😞 I put mine on Blue Buffalo and it has really been good. Can't wait to witness the progress!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Hey MileHighGuy,
    I fully understand the whole disposable income thing. It can get to be expensive if you dont pay close attention. Check out your local petsmart. They offer dog training/obedience. Its not too expensive and a great way to introduce other dogs to Hunter.
    I think its great you decided to take him in. Basenjis are great. Different but great. You will learn real quick that if its within Hunters reach…its his. Thats why I LOVE having baby gates to seperate off the house.
    Just give it time..Hunter will come around and before you know it...your gonna have a loyal basenji.
    Which part of Colorado are you from? I used to live in Denver for over 14 years.

• Awwwww…..poor little skinny guy.....but I bet he will grow into a healthy beautiful B with tender loving care.

• Oh my! He IS skinny…but very handsome!

• Weight gaining can be a slow process, but you are doing great! He is beautiful.

• You have a lot of good help here.
    Lots of us are wanting to help with any of the issues you will have with this wonderful basenji .
    Sounds like your boy was very lucky to have found your home.
    Oh, have you checked him for heartworms?

• He is a beauty! Welcome to the forum, you've gotten the best of the best advice! Keep us posted on how he comes along…

Suggested Topics