• Yes, I agree with you about applying certain training methods to all breeds. I didn't think reprimanding him by pulling on the leash was a good idea, so I didn't. The Dog Whisperer did not suggest to pull on his leash. Just be able to quickly end a brawl. I did reward Joey with good behavior in his crate and when he ignored Apolo. In his crate, Joey actually turned his back to Apolo when he was in the room. Joey stopped whining pretty quickly too. I appreciate your advice and for not sitting on your hands! Please don't hesitate to comment anytime, at least to me!!!!

• Oh and to jys1011, your advice is the same as the Dog Whisperer. You paid attention 😃

• UPDATE - I have implemented some of the suggestions and have gotten the two interacting without aggression only if I am between them. I had a cooling off period by taking Apolo back to his house for awhile and then reintroduced him into the house, very slowly. In retrospect, I allowed Apolo to bound into Joey's territory unsupervised and Joey thought it was rude. I think Joey is also concerned about his space too. I gave them both treats while being good as I was squatting between them. One treat fell that I was giving to Apolo and as Joey went for it between Apolo's feet, Apolo snapped at him. I reprimanded Joey. Joey is still not comfortable with Apolo running freely around the house, but I did get them to lay down next to me and stay without disturbance. Progress, I think. How am I doing??? (I will never do this again, especially over a holiday!!!. Learned lots of things the hard way, but maybe that made me learn faster!)

• << Progress, I think. How am I doing??? (I will never do this again, especially over a holiday!!!. Learned lots of things the hard way, but maybe that made me learn faster!)>>

Sounds like progress! This is just a really, really hard thing to do 😞 Things will never be totally settled until the dogs sort out who is going to be in charge, and unfortunately, as adults, basenjis are often very reactive to other adult dogs…so it often turns into a fight before they dogs can even find out if they might be able to be friends.

Strong human leadership is great, but it doesn't really settle the issue between the dogs.

Isn't funny how fast you can learn new things when there is no option!? 🙂 Kudos to you for hanging in there 🙂

• Well, thanks for the encouragement, but I am not liking this at all. You are right…"Strong human leadership is great, but it doesn't really settle the issue between the dogs." The issue will not be settled and I can not be between them 24/7. I am actually going to call Apolo's vet to see if I can board him. It is just too much for all the family (7). I did not do my homework, so now I am paying for it, financially and emotionally! I have appreciated all the help! Anybody want to watch a dog? 😃

• So sorry that you have to resort to boarding Apolo. I imagine it must be an enormous strain on you to keep an eye on both of them. I have 2 Bs & it seems like that to me too. I often wonder if I was right in getting TWO from the beginning but then I think I can't imagine my life without either of them. It's just a LOT of work. 🙂 I hope it works out in the end.

• I've been reading along here, Sandra. Sorry it's not working out for you. Sometimes, best intentions go haywire. (I've had quite a few.) You have a big heart for taking Apollo for 3 weeks. I'm learning a lesson here too. Maybe . . . just maybe if they had been introduced and had several successful playdates in each others home before a live-in arrangement, might have worked better and then be able to assess an invitation? You know the term: "Could'a - Should'a - Would'a" Believe me, I appreciate learning from others - as I hope sharing experiences in this forum does help all who are interested. Thank you.

• <_>

I completely understand. We often have my in-laws over for the holiday (just one day) and they usually bring their dogs. We just put our dogs in a secluded room because it is just too difficult to try to manage continuously. It spoils the fun of the get together, and it just isn't worth it to us.

If I were in your situation, I would not hesitate to board Apolo. It won't be as nice as the accomodations at your home, but I think everyone will have more peace.

Hugs, and kudos for even giving it a try :)_

• Is it possible to keep Apolo at his own home & you can house sit for a while…taking out for walks & feeding & then keeping him in a room in his own home??? This way he doesn't feel stressed out at a boarding place.

Just a thought.

• Thanks everyone. I am so very appreciative of your advice. Housesitting is a great idea, but not an option for me as I have 5 teenagers and a husband to "watch". I tried Apolo in his home for the day and when I picked him up at night (I just couldn't leave him there by himself overnight) he went bonkers from being alone all day. I took him to a kennel out in the country as the accomodations at his vet would have meant that he had to be crated all the time which IMO is especially not an option for a big dog!! I worry about Apolo stressing out and have called the kennel to see how he is doing. I will visit as well. I'm really not certain that the kennel would let me know if he was stressing. I don't really know as this is the first time I had to use one. I think I will start another thread on what to look for in a kennel. Once again, learning on the fly!!! I am doing my best and asking as many questions as I can. I also think I may start a thread on how Bs react to Bordatella (I always say, Bortadella, isn't that sausage :D) since I know someday I will have to take Joey to a kennel. I am also going to look at kennels now so that I can choose the best one. So far I have been fortunate and the breeder has been able to board Joey. I think it's like going to Disney World for him!!! He isn't all wigged out to see me when I pick him up!

Suggested Topics