Skip to content

Help with biting

Behavioral Issues
  • Hello everyone! My first time here. I have a Basenji that is not very friendly with anyone except my husband and I. Anyone comes we have to shut him up, cause he would bite. Is this natural? He is 7 years old and can anyone tell me how to control him when someone is around? Would love to hear your response.

  • @concessionlady:

    Hello everyone! My first time here. I have a Basenji that is not very friendly with anyone except my husband and I. Anyone comes we have to shut him up, cause he would bite. Is this natural? He is 7 years old and can anyone tell me how to control him when someone is around? Would love to hear your response.

    You might have his thyroid checked. Sometimes, unexplainable aggression can be caused by a failing thyroid gland. You need to have a full panel run, regardless of what your vet might tell you.

    Good luck :)

  • If this dog has always been that way, the likelihood of changing him and him being trustworthy may be more than it's worth. I don't see a problem with putting him up with people are over if it fits your lifestyle. if it doesn't, then there are things to do to help retrain. if it is a NEW problem, then I would worry seriously about health issues, such as andrea suggested (thyroid aggression).

  • Hello I'm New , My Daisy Is A Biter. If You Touch Her Sometimes. She Seems Really Sensitive All The Time. She Can Be Fully Awake And Loving Than It Switches. She Has Gottin Us Good A Couple Times. I Don't Know Why She Can Turn Like That She Is A Spoiled Pooch. Do You Have Any Ideas What I Could Do.

Suggested Topics

  • Biting

    Behavioral Issues
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    24k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Saving money sometimes isn't the best route… a full thyroid panel gives massively more information. But a low dose won't hurt, and as Pat said, if it doesn't help, you wean off easily and done.
  • Biting

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    6k Views
    tanzaT
    Full Vet check up is needed before anything… especially a FULL THYROID PANEL... I agree with contacting her breeder and also finding a positive reinforcement trainer as suggested
  • Help!

    Behavioral Issues
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    Kipawa went through a rambunctious stage at 13 months - he didn't do anything bad, but he seemed to be 'testing' who the boss was. He was reminded, consistently. (Grin) At 15 months he started to show very nice maturation qualities and a complete understanding of his place in our family pack. Be patient, be consistent, give him lots of exercise and really praise him when he is good.
  • Anxiety help

    Behavioral Issues
    36
    0 Votes
    36 Posts
    18k Views
    renaultf1R
    @sharronhurlbut: Re car rides, this is going to sound odd, but it does work for me and my 2 dogs. Even if you have walked your dogs before a car trip, I find the excitement of the "get into the car" and going makes there guts act up. So, here is what we do. We take the dogs a lot on vacation when we go by car. We walk the dogs in the am, feed and water. Get them into the car. Drive about 2 miles and stop and let them out to walk. Both always pee and poo when we stop. Once back in the car, they settle and are quiet. About a hr or so into the ride, they start to get "ACTIVE" again…we stop at a rest area, they go, and then they sleep the rest of the way. Could be the excitement of leaving home, the motion of the car or whatever, but these stops, even tho you want to get going...make the trip much easier on all involved. Give it a try. All you can lose is a bit of time... Sharron…I've had friends use that method as well...so I think you (and them) are on to something. Wizard...It is a tough road, separation anxiety. I never had much success with the DAP - spray or plug-in...and I used both for about half a year. I finally gave up on it. Although, my vet and the pet store I bought it at said they knew of people that had had success with it. Good for you for working with a behaviorist...they definitely will have better ideas about things to try. The second beastie was the golden ticket for Ruby though...and seriously, I've found that 2 b's are so much easier than one. So much so that I'm thinking of adding another either this year or next...and for that I might need my head examined.
  • Basenji Help!!

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    V
    Move the crates to different rooms. The female won't be able to see what's going on. Give the male his food first, then feed the female a little later. Don't let them out of the crates at the same time.
  • Help with aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    L
    Some basenjis seem to have particular kinds of dogs they don't like. My Abbey is best friends with a rottweiller, a black lab, and a dalmation, but she hates golden retrievers! What do they go by, coat color?? She goes after anything that moves at the vet's though. My first basenji many years ago, Pumpkin, climbed trees to get after squirrels, and fences were no problem either.