• @Benti:

so typically if the result is low normal they need medication?

Yes, medication

• @Benti:

it seems to be with total strangers but I haven't had any people over recently that she would be familiar with. she did growl at me twice when I went to close her crate for the night. she was already in it and this was definitely not normal behavior for her.

I would say that is a red flag. I'll be surprised if the thyroid levels are normal. She seems a bit old to be going through a "I'm mature now" change in behaviour. Sounds like she is not prepared to tolerate things that irritate her in any way.

• And I would still look at having her spayed

• so her thyroid came back 1.7, and normal is 1-4. the vet is saying this is normal, in your experience is this considered low normal? I am a nurse practitioner but have no idea what to do with the furry patients?

• her thyroid came back normal the vet said, 1.7, normal is between 1-4 they are telling me.

• @Benti:

her thyroid came back normal the vet said, 1.7, normal is between 1-4 they are telling me.

1.7 IMO, is low normal and too low for a Basenji. Did they do a full panel? Or just T4? should have been a complete panel that is sent out, not done in the Vet's normal testing

• I spoke to the vet and I think just a t4. he was convinced it was going to be lower actually because she had thinning hair above her tail, and didn't want to cost us extra money for other testing, which I do appreciate. I told him what all of you said and he is going to do a little research and get back to me, in your experience have you had to tell the vet to give medicine when they didn't consider it necessary? he also gave me the name of some trainers but I don't really want to go that route if her aggression is from a medical problem. she's always been a very easy dog up until now.

• @Benti:

I spoke to the vet and I think just a t4. he was convinced it was going to be lower actually because she had thinning hair above her tail, and didn't want to cost us extra money for other testing, which I do appreciate. I told him what all of you said and he is going to do a little research and get back to me, in your experience have you had to tell the vet to give medicine when they didn't consider it necessary? he also gave me the name of some trainers but I don't really want to go that route if her aggression is from a medical problem. she's always been a very easy dog up until now.

Many times, Vets are not always, nor can they be, up to date on specific breeds of dogs. So I would ask the Vet to please prescribe a low dose of Soloxine (generic is NOT preferred) and see if it makes a difference. If this is the reason for her behavior and growling, you will see a change very, very quickly. If no change then you can stop the medication

• thanks I will do that.

• Saving money sometimes isn't the best route… a full thyroid panel gives massively more information. But a low dose won't hurt, and as Pat said, if it doesn't help, you wean off easily and done.

Suggested Topics