• Hi all.

I'm a recent new basenji owner. Hugo is coming up to 12 weeks old and going great. Still some issues with chewing and nipping but improving quickly.

We're about to enter a third, unseasonably wet summer here on the east coast of Australia and as I believe is common for basenjis, Hugo won't countenance a walk in the rain. Do folks have any suggestions for how to help him get some exercise when he won't go out?

Thanks!

• My previous basenji Kembe would NOT go out if it was raining. MY current basenji Iko has no issues w/ being walked in the rain - so maybe Hugo will be alright in the rain. I’m amazed @ how different my Iko is to my previous basenji - they all have such different individual personalities even though they do share similar basenji characteristics and traits.

• Doodle is okay if it starts raining after we are on our way (and thus, she has no choice in the matter). However, recently, she is showing some anxiety if there is thunder/lightning and will seek refuge at my feet under my desk. Luckily, we have never been caught in such a storm on our walks.

• You have to take him out in the rain or be outside with him in the rain... and NOT go back in till he goes... not an option. Be sure to wear your rain gear...

• @t89rex said in Wet weather exercise:

Hi all.

I'm a recent new basenji owner. Hugo is coming up to 12 weeks old and going great. Still some issues with chewing and nipping but improving quickly.

We're about to enter a third, unseasonably wet summer here on the east coast of Australia and as I believe is common for basenjis, Hugo won't countenance a walk in the rain. Do folks have any suggestions for how to help him get some exercise when he won't go out?

Thanks!

You walk in the rain? Or do you mean going for a walk after it's rained, when it's wet? Or do you mean going outside for the bathroom when it's raining?

If it's the second or third one, then you could just give him high value food rewards when he's out in the wet grass/cement. Pretty soon, he should stop caring, unless this is a serious issue, in which case you'll have to spend some time focused on this.

I suggest using something he loves but never gets, i.e. cheese dipped in peanut butter, or something similarly extravagant. You want him to really be motivated to go out in the wet.

Another thing is starting slowly with expectations and goals. If he runs out and runs back in, then that's progress. Keep training sessions and exercises short in the beginning, so that he you can end on high notes, and slowly increase duration the better he gets.

All the best.

• If I went out, the Basenji went out, and we stayed out until the desired result was forthcoming. Going out by his/her self could be a bit trickier, getting the dog to urinate usually wasn't an issue, but defecation could require some encouragement in truly bad weather (i.e. matching). Interestingly, with my last boy there was reluctance to venture out in the rain if on a leash, but loose was no problem, although he did tend to head for the barn and shelter if it was raining hard. I'm referencing going out for essentials. For exercise, not so much. Neither of us enjoyed walking in the rain, and exercise can be had inside.

• Just to clarify, the exercise I mentioned above (food rewards while exposed to rain/wet ground) is done for the purpose of socializing the dog to the rain and the sensation of wetness.

If the OP is asking about getting the dog to go to the bathroom while it's raining, then socializing the dog to the rain/wetness will cut down the time you'll have to wait outside with him.

The earlier the puppy is socialized to the rain, the less of a problem it'll be when it's older.

• I'm mostly talking about how to help him not go stir crazy if he can't get out for a walk. I have undercover toilet options to use in a pinch.

It's just that the last few summers there have been stretches of days at a time with more or less unbroken rain. I'm not particularly minded to walk in the rain either but if it's day three without a walk I imagine Hugo's behaviour is going to slip.

Sounds like the solution is to introduce some wet weather walks during very light rain or in the wet after rainfall as a first step. Thanks!

• @t89rex Mine are just that same - all of them over the years have sat on the doorstep and had to be pulled out. But it doesn't help them - they go out, rain or shine. They may not like it - some are better than others at tolerating it but they need exercise and the mental stimulation of rabbit holes and squirrels. Once they are out in the rain, they usually accept it. Its the idea of that first foot step onto wet paving which they fear !

• My first basenji I would pick him up and walk somewhere far and for him to get home he would have to walk in the rain; he picked up on it and now will walk in the rain without any issues. Same with my pup now; she follows what ever Kenji does and when she sees him walking in the rain she will hurry along to walk next to him and clean him

• Thanks for your help everyone.

Rather than start a whole new topic for what I'm sure will be the second of many, many questions I have I was hoping I could ask you all here.

Hugo sleeps very well during the night, and often goes all the way through from 10 to 6 without needing a break. He also very calmly lets me know when he does need to go during the night which is great.

The trouble I have during the day is that like a human child he really doesn't seem to know when he needs rest. Often he'll come and ask for a cuddle and then go to sleep on my lap but I don't think I'm doing him any favours training him to need me to sleep.

When I think he's tired I often just put him in his crate and try to ignore him if he whinges, but he's had a few accidents in there. I have trouble distinguishing between general "I'd prefer to get out of this crate and be with you" which I don't want to reward, and genuine need to go out and toilet.

Does anyone have any tips to help him self regulate his sleep a bit better?

• @t89rex At 12 weeks, he is looking for comfort to sleep.. remember that he would have been used to sleep with his pack... which is why he is looking to sleep next to you. If you have a dog bed for him, once he is relaxed and sleepy, put him in the dog bed... but keep it close to you

• Thank you! Hugo is my first dog and I'm a little overwhelmed. I've spent so much time with dogs over my life but never raised a puppy and I have to confess I was ignorant of how much work it is. It's nice to have found a friendly community here to help me get through it.

• He's only 12 weeks old ! Some breeders don't let them leave the nest till almost that age - so he is still a baby and is forming a bond with you as his pack leader. He needs sleep whenever he needs sleep ! there is no pattern to it. Dogs do sleep a great deal of the time. And a puppy even more so. This is not something you can have any control over although you can make him a bed somewhere quiet, teach him that that is HIS space and he won't be disturbed and at night, have his bed close to yours - or better yet, let him curl up with you.

When he wakes up, let him out to pee because that will be the first thing he needs to do. And rain or shine, don't let him dictate. He has to go out. He WILL have accidents at this age but it won't last long. At 12 weeks he is unlikely to be able to go through the night. Once he has had all his shots and can go out for proper walks, don't over do it at first but he will get tired and sleep when he gets home.

Good luck -

• @t89rex said in Wet weather exercise:

Thanks for your help everyone.

Rather than start a whole new topic for what I'm sure will be the second of many, many questions I have I was hoping I could ask you all here.

Hugo sleeps very well during the night, and often goes all the way through from 10 to 6 without needing a break. He also very calmly lets me know when he does need to go during the night which is great.

The trouble I have during the day is that like a human child he really doesn't seem to know when he needs rest. Often he'll come and ask for a cuddle and then go to sleep on my lap but I don't think I'm doing him any favours training him to need me to sleep.

When I think he's tired I often just put him in his crate and try to ignore him if he whinges, but he's had a few accidents in there. I have trouble distinguishing between general "I'd prefer to get out of this crate and be with you" which I don't want to reward, and genuine need to go out and toilet.

Does anyone have any tips to help him self regulate his sleep a bit better?

Great question.

Distinguishing between the kind of whining is difficult. I'll get more in detail about what to do later in the post. Also, if he's giving you no problems at night, then a few other things could be at work here.

To begin, I would recommend experimenting with more exercise in general, regardless of how much he's getting now. Some Basenji puppies have a seemingly unlimited supply of energy. That, coupled with a curious nature and a persistent and hard-headed character, makes for a dog looking to get into trouble.

Tiring him out sufficiently is essential.

The above is just general good practice that you should make sure you're doing, but specific to you:

At 12 weeks old, he doesn't know how to settle, you'll have to teach him this. I typically teach this while the puppy is on an elevated bed inside an ex-pen.

Put the bed & pen next to wherever you sit (couch/chair/bed/etc.) and feed the dog treats consistently while you're doing something else (on the computer, reading a book, watching television, etc.).

You're going to want to do this training exercise after physically exhausting him, otherwise you may have some difficulty with it.

Another thing that will be useful is to capture the behavior when he naturally does it.
    Example:

• he walks over to his bed or crate, and lies down and settles by himself
    • you take a treat out of your pocket and toss it on the ground next to him and go back to doing what you were doing and letting him do what he was doing

A big thing that will help you is starting to focus on crate training. If you start doing crate training exercises when it isn't bedtime, then it'll accelerate your progress.

Get him used to being in the crate during the day, and for different amounts of time. If he only goes in the crate at night and stays there for 8 hours, he might think he's going to stay in for 8 hours in the day too. Show him that sometimes he'll be in the crate for 2 minutes while you take out the trash or put the laundry in, and other times he'll be in the crate for 4-6 hours when you want to go out and get dinner downtown. Give him different pictures of the crate and what being in the crate is.

Also, getting him to like the crate is a big consideration as well. I think I have older posts that go into this, but the threads may have been deleted.

I'll just give one tip about it this post: put the crate next to the place you sit, put him in the crate, give him a chew treat (bully stick, pig's ear, etc.) and close the door, sit down next to him and do something where the attention isn't on him (computer, book, etc.), and let him self-satisfy and enjoy doing something on his own but in your company. This will greatly help him develop a calm and relaxed disposition around you. You want to be sure that you clock downtime like this with him, otherwise, he won't settle in your presence.

Lastly, the whining in the crate. At this young of an age, I would immediately go to the puppy the first time he whines and put a lead on him in the crate and walk him outside for toilet. If he goes, or if doesn't go after a few minutes, walk him back to the crate and put him back in. This is going to teach him that he will have a chance to go to the bathroom. If he whines after this, IGNORE HIM. This is important, otherwise you'll teach him to whine when he wants to get out and/or whining will be his way of calling you.

Luckily this doesn't usually last too long. Pretty soon he should get the idea that he will be given a chance to go to the bathroom, and you should stop going to him if he whines. Once he understands this though, a lot of the whining should stop (for now). Then you'll have to work on the whining he rehearses from not liking the crate/the sensation of having space restricted, and then the whining he rehearses from not wanting to be in there (this last one is dealt with by simply ignoring).

The best advice for this particular crate issue is this: take him to toilet first, then after he goes, put him in the crate.

Also, like all else, start slowly with the amount of time you leave him in the crate during the day.

All the best.

• I always find it curious when people want to crate dogs/puppies during the day when they are at home. I never did, and never had problems with a pup not settling down to nap when they were tired. Sure, they may get into trouble if you aren't paying attention, and crating to keep them out of mischief when you are absent is a different thing, but a pup in a crate learns nothing about house rules, so you miss the chance to teach what is permissible and what is not. Puppyhood is a short time relative to the life of the dog, and it is a golden opportunity to mould your pup into the dog you want him/her to be....

• @eeeefarm I totally agree ! Mine have never been crated except in the car when it is essential. When I go out, they are never left for very long, absolute maximum of 4 hours and that only occasionally - they have a dog-proof room and all curl up and sleep. When I am at home there is absolutely no question of a crate. Day or night.

• @eeeefarm - I totally agree with you eeeefarm... when I am home, my Basenjis, especially puppies are with me... as noted with a 12wk old, they are learning to be without their littermates.... puppies "pile" on top of each other... that is what they do. Take away the rest of the litter and the pup is looking for their "new pack".... They need to be with you and the family... they will find a spot to "crash" when they are tired... my puppies always did.

• @tanza
    Tamu when she was a pup....yes, they like to be with you!
    Tamusamcouchx.jpg
    ....but Tamu had to give Lady her space at first!

naptimexx.jpg

Eventually Lady decided they could share....and they almost always slept together.
    sleepmates2xx.jpg

• We all live with dogs differently and we all want different things out of our dogs. I'm also willing to bet that we all have different reasons for having a dog.

In addition, I'm certain that we all have different expectations for our dogs and how they should behave and what they should do. As you guys are pet owners, you probably don't need to focus on things that I as an active/sport/protection dog owner need to. And, truthfully, you guys can probably live with more than I can.

Furthermore, as a trainer I do more things with my dogs than you guys do, things that you guys probably couldn't do with your dogs, and probably wouldn't want to do. The crate, as you know eeefarm, is wonderful for social isolation, confidence-building, and many other things that are essential if you want to get a dog to do things with you in certain environments with serious distractions. The crate is also an incredible tool for teaching all kinds of skills, behaviors, concepts, etc. Most people haven't a clue about the true value of a crate when it comes to changing behavior and helping mold character and personality. Even pet dog owners would benefit greatly if they were educated on how to properly use a crate.

And it's true, there's millions of people who don't use crates and their dogs and their household are absolutely fine...but then again, there's millions who don't use crates and their house is constantly being torn up, or their dog has emotional problems or mental problems (obsessions, compulsions, neurosis, ticks, etc.) or is reactive, and a lot of this can be avoided by using the crate. Having a dog that is well-adjusted to being in a crate, and can self-satisfy in a locked crate, and on command, is such a valuable thing.

Now, the OP might not be an active dog owner, but he is having a problem, and the recommendation I gave is what I would do if he paid me for my services.

And for what it's worth, puppyhood lasts longer than most believe, and the dog is still constantly learning outside of little puppyhood.

All love.

Suggested Topics