• You should keep up the updates, Greg. At least then we can check that you are going the right things !!! LOL

Sparkle will stand up to feed more and more and you will get used to seeing a positive skirt of puppies being dragged along as she tries to indicate "ENOUGH ! Bar is closing now !" and move away ! And she will probably start to nose them out of the bed-box to empty.

• @elbrant said in Princess Sparkle...:

grateful that human females don't share this trait

They used to. Ever hear of a "wet nurse"?

• @eeeefarm Yes, but I never thought that was "Grandma", a wet nurse was another woman who had given birth relatively recently in relation to when the need arose.

• @eeeefarm and @elbrant I think that is probably correct. A wet-nurse was normally someone who had given birth recently and either had milk to spare or was subservient to Madame and often fed her employers' children before her own !

In the case of Basenji Grandmothers, they lactate 'on demand' to assist other members of the pack.

• @zande Mares sometimes do this as well. I have seen a barren mare come into milk when she "mothered" someone else's foal. One of my friends had a mare that did this more than once, she was a solution for someone with an orphaned foal. As far as humans are concerned, this article is interesting.

With horses, many people collect and bank colostrum from early milking, in case of need. Do dog breeders do that?

• This post is deleted!

• @zande - Very true... bitches will stop laying down and sit or stand when pups are about this age and yes they are starting to get the "razor blade" milk teeth... and when she has had enough she will "leave" them. As Zande said, enough is enough.... and at this age they are starting to "drain" the milk supply pretty quick especially as you start to reduce her food and give them "slop" to try out. And they will get more slop on themselves and feet from walking in the food... LOL... Mom will try to get to the food also, no big deal... Mom's are a great "clean up"... just like a dishwasher... LOL

• @eeeefarm I certainly never have and I don't know of anyone who has.

• @tanza You have a good point there - we always started on 'solid' food when the eyes opened. At first kibble very finely ground, with a little milky water. Flat dishes so they could walk through it !!!! Actually I used the plastic trays - underpinnings - of pot plants.

Gradually the 'gruel' became less finely ground and a little bit of meat added. Yes we do use Pedigree Chum Puppy here ! Until the mix more closely resembled what the biggies have by the time they are fully weaned.

Sometimes individual bowls and sometimes (supervised closely !) one large bowl so they learned to share.

• Update time... It's been a while since the last one and MUCH has changed. By a week ago tomorrow everyone's eyes were open. Took a few days for vision to improve, but by Saturday they were MUCH more mobile. By Monday they were on the move big time. I took down the x-pen surrounding the whelping box and set it up in the family room between the couch and the TV. I have a crate set up on one end with a litter box in front of it. The idea is to get the pups use to a crate and hopefully get them to use a litter box. The crate is no problem. They took to that like ducks to water. The litter box is still a work in progress.

They love their current monkeys. The pen is big enough that we can get in with them, love them, kiss them and play with them, which they love. So does Mamma. Gives her breaks to rest. She's now doing the standing and sitting feeding as well as lying down. They're about 3 and half weeks now. and we'll start weening them shortly. By this weekend at the latest most likely.

I know they can hear now. I think I've mentioned that when I beep a song to Logan (Star Wars theme is his favorite) that he howls for me. I got him spun up and howling last night, and low and behold... puppies started to howl too! Then Sparkle joined in! That was awesome. The whole family was going!

I'm beginning to see personalities emerge now too. Some love to play, Others want to be cuddled. And still others do both depending on mood. Some are really confident. Others need encouragement. I'm finally at the point I wanted to be at. The point where I've got a pack of puppies crawling all over me, gnawing on me, licking me, looking me in the eye, etc. They're really a blast right now.

OH! And tails! I have a few that when they're really awake and active... their tails curl up and over their backs and the tail tip now touches their back! Still much too soon for true tail curl. Also, tails tips look fantastic! Nice white fluffy tail tips with no signs of irritation on any of them. They are definitely looking more like little Basenjis every day. Thier snouts are much longer than they were a few weeks ago and teeth are ripping through gums big time! They're more vocal now too.

I'm not weighing them every day anymore, but I weighed one yesterday and he was nearly three pounds! All of them look nice and chubby. No umbilical hernias that I can see. Coordination and strength improve daily. Oh, and their little faces are so cute right now. They still have peppered noses. I'll try and post pictures soon. I've got to upload them to my computer, crop and reduce their size, which is going to take a bit of time. I've been taking a ton!

• Sounds like you’re having so much FUN! So glad to hear that Sparkle ✨ and the pups are doing well! ❤🐾

• @jengosmonkey - Sounds like they are doing great... have fun with them.... and make lots of noise... like pots/pans and for sure getting Logan to howl at them is great.... good job!

• @jengosmonkey And I never worried about umbilical herinas.... pretty normal for Basenjis... but you did a great job with the babies...

• You are doing all the right things, Greg.

Very exciting !

You also need to yodel, Basenji fashion, or get Logan to do it so the pups hear it and yodel too.

• So here we are at the 4 week point. They change so much from week to week, but in some cases from day to day. I remember the first time I landed in Europe and was amazed at the place. Then after having spent several weeks there, I was convinced that everyone should be given the opportunity to do the same. Once I was able to see Peru... same thing.

I truly wish that everyone could experience puppies from birth. Birth is a fantastic gift. But, being able to watch them develop, thrive, grow, adapt... just wow. The bond with momma has been really endearing, especially when she's concerned. Papa... he stays out of the mess for the most part cause mama says so. He's been really respectful in my opinion. Sparkle bosses him around and he just sucks it up. BUT, if someone comes into the house he plants his Basenji butt between the visitor and the whelping box/x-pen till he's convinced it's ok.

So where are we. We are at solid food and have been for a couple o days now. Not cutting off the milk supply yet (my wife has a new nick name for Sparkle... Milk Truck). We'll be easing the milk off gradually over the next couple of weeks. Sparkle has kinda hit a wall though. She's reluctant to nurse them. I'm thinking needle daggers (teeth). We've been able to coax her into it by diverting her attention to COOKIES! She cries when she wants to be with them, but when she is she cries cause I think she knows it's gonna hurt. She does it, but I get the impression she's gotta work herself up to it kinda like jumping into ice water. What do I know?

Puppies are beginning to look like Basenjis. Ears are starting to prick up. Tails are not only arched over and touching the back... now they're starting to loop just a little bit. Little snouts while still very rounded are getting longer. Noses are getting blacker. They growl! They chase. They run and leap. But you look into their eyes... and you just see wonder. Little beings puzzling it out. What am I? What is this? They definitely know who I am by my sent. Eyesight gets better daily.

I'm really proud of them. Sparkle and Logan made some really beautiful babies. I really hope the people that take them on love them for a lifetime. Enough yacking...

SQUIRREL!!! This is Red, or Zowie as we call her. She was the little one.
    PXL_20220114_010836624~2.jpg

This is the communal food bowl. I've had experiment with food consistency and temp. Seems like everyone has something different in mind just like human kids!
    IMG_20220114_133447.jpg

This is silly thing to love, but it's one of my favorite pictures. I love PW and Spike's heads asleep and dipping into the litter box. Both females by the way. There are six puppies in that little house!!!
    PXL_20220113_161452130 (Medium).jpg

So here's the weird thing. That little doghouse is small. Sparkle got in it and all the pups figured it out quick. She was in and ALL SIX PUPS ended up in it with her!
    PXL_20220112_005728465 (Medium).jpg

Oh, and the litter box... OMG! The pups figured out really fast to pee in it. Granted, we would set them in it after they woke up from a nap right away, but by day two they had it figured out! I never believed that you could litter box train a basenji. Believe it. Pooping is still a work in progress, but the girls seem to get it better than the boys from my subjective observations.

• @jengosmonkey You will probably find you don't have to cut off the milk supply, Sparkle will do that more and more herself. She may need to feed them a little to relieve the pressure on her so it is best to help her tell them 'NO !' when SHE wants to rather than cut off the supply entirely.

• Tank!
    IMG_20220116_144414 (2).jpg

Spike
    IMG_20220116_144420.jpg

Dotto
    IMG_20220116_144426.jpg

PW and the Thousand Yard Stare...
    IMG_20220116_155644.jpg

Tri Baby
    IMG_20220117_141521~2.jpg

Zowie
    PXL_20220114_010902598 (Medium).jpg

• OMG! The pups are soooo damn cute! Loved 🥰 that first photo of Tank. It’s amazing how fast they have grown and changed in the past few days! They bring a 😊 to my face! 🐾👍❤

• @jengosmonkey - They are looking great and yes Litter training if you spend the time is really easy... so much better than newspaper... LOL. They learn the "potty box" the same as Outside!... I will to a point disagree and agree that having puppies are a wonderful experience. BUT it is not for the faint of heart, things can go wrong...period... and unlike you, they need an experienced helping hand... you had Stella that supported you through the birth and after.... new people to having puppies have NO idea how difficult it can be if something goes wrong or do they know if something is wrong. So you did all the right things having Stella (and me if needed) but it is important that first time breeders need this... it is not something that you just do so your kids can see the "wonder of birth".... OK off the soap box

• @tanza Aaa... not really seeing the soapbox... cause you're right. There're all kinds of reasons everyone shouldn't make puppies. You mentioned some great ones. I was just lamenting that it's been a really fun experience. But, like you said I had and still have Stella, and you, and @Zande. I also remembered things that @DonC had shared here in the past. Haven't seen or read Don in months! I hope he's just really busy and that it's not something more serious.

You also point out that things could go wrong. We were beyond lucky. So far so good with nothing weird, knock on wood. We kinda got gifted with a pretty perfect experience so far. The live camera for Stella was key. She was great during birthing from 3 and half hours away. So, I agree... if you choose to do this find people to help you. You can't know all the right questions to ask until some of the issues are right on top of you. Having someone to ring up quickly was such comfort. It pays off to have multiple experts to check in with. 👍

Suggested Topics