• Hey all,

My 7 month old puppy has been occasionally dry heaving over the course of the last week. He was recently neutered so I had the vet take a look at him and they didn't seem to think anything was wrong.. though, how much can one really tell without a more in depth evaluation? He has continued to do it and I'm a little worried that something is either in his stomach or caught in his throat that won't come out.. it's definitely not a reverse sneeze or kennel cough so I wanted to see if any other basenji owners had experienced this.

Thanks 🙂

• Sometimes if my boy doesn't eat his breakfast he will start dry heaving and eventually barf up bile. Is this what is happening? As far as the vet goes, record a video of when this issue starts to he/she can see what you are experiencing since your puppy is unlikely to recreate the problem on command.

• My Clara was spayed and she did the same thing in the morning for 6 days then quit. I figured it was because of the anesthesia. She wouldn't eat breakfast, then threw up yellow bile. I'd wait about a half an hour or so, then offer food. She'd eat then. But again, this quit on its own. Clara also had a hard time with her first vaccination. She swelled up on the site of injection badly and scream at times if moved. After that vet then would give a shot first to counteract and an anti inflammatory to go home with. I think this breed may be extra sensitive to these things.

• Hey @senjisilly he has done similar but this is different - it's a dry hack versus the empty tummy bile. I saw that he was able to hack out what looks like a small piece of the bathroom rug... I'm worried that maybe there's more in him and he's struggling to get it out...he's acting normally otherwise

@Julie4444 Hey Julie - so this began prior to the neutering, sorry if that wasn't clear. He has been a bit more groan-y since though, some darth vader like sounds.

• @yahtzee92 - If he hacked up a part of a rug, you really need to have this checked out, this could be causing a blockage in the bowels. Did you tell the Vet that he ate part of the bathroom rug? X-ray and/or ultrasound in my opinion needs to be done...

• Thanks @tanza - getting him set up with an appt ASAP.

• @yahtzee92 - Glad to hear that, best to make sure there is nothing "stuck" in his gut... especially since you have seen a part of a rug coming up....

• @tanza Nothing showed up in the x-rays - they gave me some nausea medicine to see if it helps so we'll see.

• @yahtzee92 said in Puppy dry heaving?:

Nothing showed up in the x-rays

That's a good thing!

• @elbrant Definitely a positive! But, on the flip side, doesn't help explain what's going with him : / Its happening right as he wakes up in the morning (at its worst) then continues only a couple of times throughout the day. May go get a second opinion at a different vet.

• @yahtzee92 - You should video what he is doing so the you can show the Vet.

• @tanza It really was just exactly as described - trying to throw up with nothing coming up. Thankfully it seems to have cleared up! And he handled last nights fireworks quite well which I'm very grateful for 🙂

Suggested Topics