• I've been lurking around these boards for some time, soaking up all the information. I recently got my first "small" dog/basenji puppy. Full health tests (fanconi, cerf, etc.), vet check-ups, second set of shots. He's about 11 weeks old now.

However, I've noticed in the last couple days that his testicles haven't dropped (that I've seen). I'm wondering if this is normal for his age/breed? or not? I picked him up from out of state from the breeder, and she never brought it up as being a problem. I thought I'd ask here first, otherwise I'll contact her.

Thanks

• @Timesthemyth:

I've been lurking around these boards for some time, soaking up all the information. I recently got my first "small" dog/basenji puppy. Full health tests (fanconi, cerf, etc.), vet check-ups, second set of shots. He's about 11 weeks old now.

However, I've noticed in the last couple days that his testicles haven't dropped (that I've seen). I'm wondering if this is normal for his age/breed? or not? I picked him up from out of state from the breeder, and she never brought it up as being a problem. I thought I'd ask here first, otherwise I'll contact her.
    Thanks

You should always check with your breeder and ask if they were down or visable at 8wks, however not unusal for a 11wk old…. The most ideal time to check is at 8 weeks, after that they may or may not stay down. But if they were down or the breeder was able to feel/find them, they should drop and stay down after teething (5 to 6 months). Even then sometimes it might take a bit longer. Basenji have a habit of being able to "suck" up the testicles and because they carry them one in front of the other, it is very easy to miss one.

• Thanks for your quick reply. He's only been home for three days and it is a bit colder here, so maybe he's just carrying them (hopefully). I'll have to give the breeder a ring-a-ling and ask her if there's anything I should be concerned about.

I got him from Lisa Saban of Washington.

• Lisa is wonderful (I've met her) and I know that she will be very willing to answer your questions. She is a lovely, as are her dogs.

Kipawa's testicles took a little time to drop fully but by 5 months they were totally down.

• Yes, she's a wonderful lady. Always very helpful, and quick to reply to any concerns I have. If I thought it was an immediate problem I would have contacted her right away, but it sounds like a common phenomenon. Glad to have community feedback.

Suggested Topics