Skip to content

Puppy Health Issues?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Puppy Vaccines ?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @jengosmonkey - NuHeart only does Heartworm, Heartguard Plus has meds for roundworms & hookworm. And people that give heartworm for 6 months are typically people that live in climates that have a cold winter, ie: when the ground freezes. We do not have that in this part of No. California so I give it year round.
  • Age issues or behavioral issues

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    @Patty: Personally I would take her to the vet to get her checked out for bowel or urinary infections. If she is losing sight and hearing she may be frightened. It sounds as though you need to step back a pace to calm your reactions. I can appreciate that you are getting fed up with all the work but she is an old dog. My present oldie (15) has taken to peeing (and pooing) indoors at times but I know I need to put her outside more often as she doesn't have the control she once had. She has also become blind and is certainly more aggressive with the others because of that. Any way first things first and do take her to the vet, please. Let us know how you get on. I have to agree with everything Patty wrote. Changing behavior ALWAYS needs a vet check. Increase aggresssion can be due to thyroid issues, pain, tick-born diseases, constant hunger (due to other things), etc. You didn't say in your post if you'd recently seen a vet and discussed her new issues. My oldest (16 in December) has failing kidneys (nonFanconi) and does need to pee more often. So, I put pee pads down in the house in his favorite pee spots. He's usually pretty good about that, but he does still pee in other spots if I'm not watching him carefully or if he gets a bit aggitated about the sitting arrangements. Would your pup stay in an exercise pen? That would give her a little more room than a crate.
  • Ear health

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    KipawaK
    @vickilb: My little BRAT, Hunter, LOVES to make his own trails when we go hiking. Last year he got one of those Foxtail seeds stuck way the heck down his eardrum. He had to be put under because it was resting on his ear drum and he wouldn't hold still for the vet!!! $500 later, he is as good as new. Do I take him to the same hiking area, you betcha!!!! Those foxtails are BAD! We have them here in the summer, and they are everywhere, so there is not much we can do. Yes, that kind of vet procedure can cost quite a bit. What we don't do for our fur babies!
  • Holiday health

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    krunzerK
    I didnt know about pine needles either. I have pine trees all around my house. Though I don't think they would forage on them. But if the tree was in the house it would be a different story. For sure they would have it knocked down the second I got it up. I opted for a fake tree and put it in a room they dont usually have access to. Thank you for the good info!
  • Health insurance?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    KipawaK
    I plan on putting some money into a savings account monthly, about $75. All the fine print scares me, and I don't want the hassles if something I thought was covered is not.
  • 0 Votes
    34 Posts
    20k Views
    bellabasenjiB
    http://vetmedicine.about.com/library/viewers/uccushings.htm Viewer Viewpoint - Cushing's Disease in the dog