• Hello!
    I would like to know when and where should I start doing Nilo's health tests? (He is 9 months now) Which ones should I start with? (PRA, IPSID, Pancreatic Enzyme Deficiency, Hypothyrodism…) What are the procedures?

Thank you

• Fanconi testing would be what I suggest first.
    Unless you have that test from your b's breeder.

• At 12 months old he will be old enough for his first thyroid test. OFA recommends every year for the first 5 years then every other year since most autoimmune thyroiditis is seen in the first 5 years. He will also be old enough to get his patellas certified at 12 months. CERF exams are only good for 1 year so if you want to keep them current you will want to have one performed 12 months after his puppy CERF. Generally, you will not see symptoms of PRA until later in life so you will need to keep testing well into old age. Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency is only tested for if symptoms are present. There is no test for IPSID.

Hips can be OFA certified at 24 months along with elbows.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Fanconi testing would be what I suggest first.
    Unless you have that test from your b's breeder.

No, I do not have it. So I should start with Fanconi first, ok. And where is the test given? Is there any special lab where my vet should send a blood or urine sample?

Thank you for the info about the tests, I asked my vet but it seems that Nilo is the only basenji he sees, so any more info from you all is more than welcome.

• @Nilo:

No, I do not have it. So I should start with Fanconi first, ok. And where is the test given? Is there any special lab where my vet should send a blood or urine sample?

It's a DNA linkage test, you can order a kit from OFFA. Go to https://secure.offa.org/Cart.html and search for 'Basenji' to order a kit.

You can do it at home, it doesn't need to be done by a vet, just take the cheek swab from the kit and take a sample from Nilo's cheek, put it on the card and mail it back in. You'll hear back in about 4-6 weeks.

• The fanconi test needs to be ordered from the OFA website, https://secure.offa.org/cart.html

Have you talked to Nilo's breeder about health testing. Without pedigree information his tests alone don't provide a very complete picture since disorders like PRA are late onset.

Suggested Topics